Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

castrol 10w-60 "supercar" oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default castrol 10w-60 "supercar" oil?

has anyone used this in their 951? was doing a little reading, have seen some 911,996 turbo use. It's the Same as BMW M oil.
reading on BITOG they say it shears down to a 50wt after about 100mi.

Discuss:
Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 AM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use this since 2005 in my 951 and I pleased with it. Back then it was sold as Castrol RS 10w60. Now I'am rebuilding my engine and I plan to use it again.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I used this in my M car, because BMW required it. But I really cannot think of any reason to use a 60w oil in any of our Porsches.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a “opening a can of works” topic. However I believe no matter the oil any of us use the biggest issue is changing the oil(s) in our cars more frequently then suggested by any manufacturer. Over 60% of engine failures have to do with oil breaking down from aeration (oxidizing) due to the crankshaft acting as an egg beater. The higher the RPM’s the engine runs at the more often the oil should be changed. If you track your car I suggest changing it after every event. For the repurposer’s, you could use the old oil as bar oil for a chainsaw or equivalent. Even clean looking oil can be broken down due to being aerated so I recommend not going off “it looks good” kind of thinking. If you live in a cold environment I would stick to thinner oil and higher temp area’s thicker oil. Also adding oil coolers help keep oil cooler(hence their part name) so it does cut back on oil thermal break down but not aeration. A dry sump system helps with aeration issues but cost a lot. If you track it all the time I would recommend a dry sump and oil cooler. If you ever get into the engine and have the rods out Michael Mount has a “rod mod” service only he personally provides which replaces the stock Glyco bearings with harder nascar style bearings that are 75% as wide which I believe helps due to not having the oil heat up as fast because it spends less time under the surface of the rod bearing. So as for the Castrol 10w60? If you live in a warmer area then run it. Just never use a Fram oil filter. And MOBIL 1 oil filters work too good and could starve the engine if it’s not installed on a engine that’s clean inside.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:14 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I used this in my M car, because BMW required it. But I really cannot think of any reason to use a 60w oil in any of our Porsches.
The tolerances on the 944 and 951 engines is pathetic. That is the reason to use the heavy oil.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Heat is why we need heavy oils.....if you don't track your car its not as big of an issue. If you do track your car without an oil temp gauge you are blissfully unaware of the extreme temps!! Stock 944 turbos can get well over 250f oil temps on the track.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I get that, but heavier oil actually holds more heat and cannot shed heat as quickly as thinner oil. So while heavier oil may result in higher pressure, the real goal would be to reduce heat, which would therefore bring viscosity back up a bit on the thinner oil.

Easier said than done, I’m sure, where an oil cooler would be required to reduce track temps, or in some cars where the oil cooler is already part of the coolant heat exchanger, reduced coolant temps from more efficient (or larger) radiators.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:49 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Maybe why my local 996 race shop only runs 0W40 in all street and tracked 996s.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My 968 track car, with dual oil coolers from RS Barn, almost never sees oil temps above 225F, even on the hottest days here in blistering central texas. I would imagine a turbo would get considerably hotter, but my oil coolers seem to be doing a great job of keeping my oil temp in check.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been using this oil for last 5 years on road and track, S2 and 951S. Read all the oil literature I could and then spoke to a Porsche race engineer who was also previously an oil tech for Castrol. He gave me a very long reply but in short said that the 10W 60 was a technically advanced oil (somewhat higher spec than the other Castrol synthetics). Very good protection at high temp with less propensity to breakdown and from his perspective equally important was excellent cold engine protection. He felt the cold start protection was better than the 20W 50 options (Castrol and others) and even those with high ZZDP which he says is great but not effective until engine warm.

I've read a lot but ultimately decided to follow the advice of someone who really seemed to know what he was talking about. He no longer worked for Castrol so there was no bias there.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beamishnz
I've been using this oil for last 5 years on road and track, S2 and 951S. Read all the oil literature I could and then spoke to a Porsche race engineer who was also previously an oil tech for Castrol. He gave me a very long reply but in short said that the 10W 60 was a technically advanced oil (somewhat higher spec than the other Castrol synthetics). Very good protection at high temp with less propensity to breakdown and from his perspective equally important was excellent cold engine protection. He felt the cold start protection was better than the 20W 50 options (Castrol and others) and even those with high ZZDP which he says is great but not effective until engine warm.

I've read a lot but ultimately decided to follow the advice of someone who really seemed to know what he was talking about. He no longer worked for Castrol so there was no bias there.
I agree with everything you said. The only problem I had was that I was paying $14.50/qt for this oil, only using it on the street, and my M5 was consuming oil - enough to make nearly every tank fill up an extra $3 on top of the already terrible 13mpg (V10 S85 engine). This was back 6-7 years ago, and since then, BMW had loosened up the restrictions on what oil they would support, allowing folks to use something other than TWS.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:33 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by beamishnz

He felt the cold start protection was better than the 20W 50 options (Castrol and others) and even those with high ZZDP which he says is great but not effective until engine warm.
High ZZDP is one of the first things I look for. If a fancy oil doesn't have it, I'm not buying it.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:17 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
High ZZDP is one of the first things I look for. If a fancy oil doesn't have it, I'm not buying it.
That had always been my view too but the area is complex and when you look into it there are other considerations. As I said the guy I took advice from was a very well well informed oil tech.... (I think he was described as a tribologist ). Oil debates have a habit of being endless but the following info and extract from his advice that I found useful.

Castrol Edge 10W-60W has 1000bpm of ZZDP. ZDDP is a multifunctional additive; it has powerful antioxidant effect in addition to the antiwear characteristics. The size and type of the alkyl group attached to the Thio phosphate within the molecule influences the relative antiwear antioxidant balance of ZDDP additive. Over time Castrol have used modified ZDDPs that are more intended for wear performance and substituted other materials to boost antioxidant performance of our engine oils. So looking at Zinc and/or Phosphorus levels alone does not tell the full story in terms of wear protection. Also ZDDP is temperature activated so running the engine at low oil temperature also accelerates cam and tappet wear.

Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 is recommended. Again this is formulated to 0.10% Phosphorus maximum and can be used with flat tappet followers with confidence.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:16 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Does that Castrol 10w-60 oil have enough detergents for our engines?

As it was specifically designed for dry or semi-dry sump applications, which generally don’t require as much detergent as a wet sump, my only concern is that there isn’t enough for wet sump street engines.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

well, napa had a sale on M1, at $5 a bottle so I picked up 4 bottles of 5w50 and 3 15w50. we'll see how that works out.

Quick Reply: castrol 10w-60 "supercar" oil?