Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head gasket coolant mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:25 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Head gasket coolant mod?

On the Lindsey Racing website, when you go to order a head gasket, they ask if you want their $10 coolant mod. I tried searching but couldn't find any info about it. Does anyone know what it entails and what it does? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

It is a steam vent for the #4 water jacket. There is a tented portion of the head above #4 that easily develops air pockets. The mod is to drill and tap the head at this spot and run a plastic water line back to the reservoir. It works great.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:40 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
It is a steam vent for the #4 water jacket. There is a tented portion of the head above #4 that easily develops air pockets. The mod is to drill and tap the head at this spot and run a plastic water line back to the reservoir. It works great.
Pretty sure that’s not what it is but I cannot think what it may be.

The steam vent kit is $60, this “coolant mod” is $10, also on the steam vent product page they also say “In addition, if you're pulling your head, you would want Wide Fire or Cometic head gaskets with our Exhaust Port coolant holes. This, combined with our Steam Vent Kit, should give you that added protection you're seeking.”

Op could always call them and let us all know (405) 947-0137

Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

not sure if LR is offering this as their service but on the 928GTS, Porsche added a few small holes on the exhaust side of the heads (and in the gaskets to accomodate) to allow for coolant to flow between the ports/valves.
can't hurt.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:51 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Yeah, I understand the Steam Vent Kit (which I do plan to do BTW), but I believe this is different. Seems like just a mod to the head gasket.
Originally Posted by MAGK944

Pretty sure that’s not what it is but I cannot think what it may be.

The steam vent kit is $60, this “coolant mod” is $10, also on the steam vent product page they also say “In addition, if you're pulling your head, you would want Wide Fire or Cometic head gaskets with our Exhaust Port coolant holes. This, combined with our Steam Vent Kit, should give you that added protection you're seeking.”

Op could always call them and let us all know (405) 947-0137

Wait, what? People use the phone to call each other? Yeah, calling was next on my list, I just wanted to see if people had first hand experience.
Originally Posted by V2Rocket
not sure if LR is offering this as their service but on the 928GTS, Porsche added a few small holes on the exhaust side of the heads (and in the gaskets to accomodate) to allow for coolant to flow between the ports/valves.
can't hurt.
I'm imagining that there's a coolant port or two that the normal head gasket doesn't have holes for. Guess I'll find out when I call.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:28 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Spencer is correct. LR adds holes to the gasket for coolant to flow thru.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bw993
Spencer is correct. LR adds holes to the gasket for coolant to flow thru.
Apparently I've been out of the game for WAAY too long. The steam vent kit is so 2005, now we're drilling holes in head gaskets? I'd like to know the info as well.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:08 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

LR adding coolant holes to the head gasket has been around for awhile, but not really utilized by most owners. I had one gasket with the modification done years ago. Can't attest to the benefits since I also installed the vent kit at the same time.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:50 PM
zmf
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm. I'm about to order parts from LR, including a Cometic gasket. If I'm understanding the conversation, without this mod, at least some coolant ports are blocked? That doesn't seem like a good thing.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:55 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by zmf
Hmmm. I'm about to order parts from LR, including a Cometic gasket. If I'm understanding the conversation, without this mod, at least some coolant ports are blocked? That doesn't seem like a good thing.
Porsche at this stage of the game were not real proficient in water as a coolant. The cars they were producing were "air" cooled (really oil cooled) The designs in the water cooled engines leave a dead spot back by the #4 cylinder where a steam pocket can form preventing cooling of the #4 cylinder leading to head gasket failures among other things. I do not know how a couple of holes would alleviate this condition. The steam vent does work, one of its other benefits is having to burp the coolant system.

If you do not get your block and head machined I would think twice about the Cometic gasket. It requires a surface smoothness of 50 RA or less.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:51 PM
zmf
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlm328

If you do not get your block and head machined I would think twice about the Cometic gasket. It requires a surface smoothness of 50 RA or less.
Thanks. At least that much has been done.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by zmf
look at a 944 head, then the gasket.
lots of holes are 'blocked' by the gasket, only flowing up through the gasket behind #4 cylinder.

i cannot say with certainty what LR does as their coolant mod, which is different than the steam vent kit, but i speculate it is opening up some of those blocked holes.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:13 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Porsche at this stage of the game were not real proficient in water as a coolant. The cars they were producing were "air" cooled (really oil cooled) The designs in the water cooled engines leave a dead spot back by the #4 cylinder where a steam pocket can form preventing cooling of the #4 cylinder leading to head gasket failures among other things. I do not know how a couple of holes would alleviate this condition.
Casting the block and head waterways, and then blocking some off with the head gasket doesn't sound like a random exercise. I believe the 104mm blocks have a different water flow. Perhaps Porsche knew what they were doing.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Either some of the holes in the head are there due to the casting process and are not supposed to let coolant flow through or the headgasket is supposed to be exposed to coolant on both of its sides to avoid heat to build locally on "large" areas of the head surface. Or perhaps a bit of both.

The headgasket is not "holed" on the corresponding locations to avoid interfering with the flow of coolant, which flows backwards in the block from the water pump then frontwards after it went up in the head through the 4 triangular holes at the back of the head(gasket). There are still two small holes at the front of the headgasket which are so small that they should not alter coolant flow.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 PM
zmf
Instructor

Originally Posted by 968to986

Wait, what? People use the phone to call each other? Yeah, calling was next on my list, I just wanted to see if people had first hand experience.
IF you get around to calling LR, please post their response. But I know what you mean about verbal communication.

What I'm hearing seems to suggest that the head gaskets sold by LR are indeed specific to 951's, as opposed to generic gaskets that require modification for use in 951's. That they are copies of OEM gaskets. But they might (or might not) be improved if more ports were exposed.

When do we get to the easy, straightforward stuff??

Quick Reply: Head gasket coolant mod?