Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head gasket coolant mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I bought my 85-1/2 new. I owned it 6 months driving around Houston, nothing more than spirited driving occasionally, got to replace the head gasket for the first time. When Porsche replaced it for the 3rd time in 2 years, I was a little upset with the HG failures. This is when they told me that the 944 2.5 liter really did not like real hot climates and had difficulty in maintaining a uniform temperature in the block. This was a bare bones stock NA engine. So no they did not know what they were doing.
Originally Posted by blade7
Someone didn't know what they were doing...
I suspect this is an isolated incident, either that or like stated someone at the TX dealer didn’t know what they were doing. My 86 had no issues whatsoever being daily driven in Florida year round from new with maybe a once a quarter track appearance for years. It was however bought from Brumos Porsche here in FL and the guys at that dealership knew a thing or two about transaxles.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

i DD'd my 944 for 5 years in Inland SoCal where it's 90+ degrees from about April-November, and regularly cracks 100-110F in July-September.
Never had any HG issues and I wailed on the thing, with AC too (adding more load to the coolant system).

I think the system is fine, repeat HG failures are just as likely due to improper service techniques.

Quick Reply: Head gasket coolant mod?