Oil Flow confusion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Oil Flow confusion?

Hi.

I need help to determine which connection on the filter housing that is pressure and wich is return?
My guess is that the connection to the left is pressure and the connection next to the oilfilter is return?
I dont like guessing so please chime in.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...he-cooler.html
Old 01-25-2019, 03:35 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom, Sorry but still not clear to me wich is what? Linked thread refers mostly to in and out on the cooler itself to my understanding. I need to know relations on the housing. In the link you attached it is referred to a diagram which Im afraid I cant see. What does ICR mean? I am Swedish so not familiar with all the english terms.

Please advise
//Peder
Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Just follow the hoses. The one that goes to the bottom of the cooler goes the port with pressure, and the other one is the return. Make sense? ICR isn't an English thing -- it's a throwback to the days when text messaging was new and people would abbreviate everything to save space and typing hassles on tiny little keyboards that only had numbers. From the context, I think he meant "I Can't Remember" (ICR).
Old 01-25-2019, 06:21 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Just follow the hoses. The one that goes to the bottom of the cooler goes the port with pressure, and the other one is the return. Make sense? ICR isn't an English thing -- it's a throwback to the days when text messaging was new and people would abbreviate everything to save space and typing hassles on tiny little keyboards that only had numbers. From the context, I think he meant "I Can't Remember" (ICR).
Ok thanks, that clear it up. This is for a 3liter 968 turbo engine going into a 968 turbo S replica I am building so no 951 oilcooler but stock 968 cooler on one side and tiptronic cooler on other side. Therfore I have no stock relations to confirm with. I will check for pics on stock 951:s to see which one is wich. Pressure to bottom, great!

ICR, text messaging I get it. I have never gotten into that. I am the one finger kinda guy

Thanks again
Old 01-26-2019, 12:44 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Went through this years ago when i installed dual coolers but i don't trust my memory.
Found this image online which should help and my notes agree with Tom that pressure side on the cooler is the bottom fitting which looks to be the top fitting on the housing.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:01 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mj951
Went through this years ago when i installed dual coolers but i don't trust my memory.
Found this image online which should help and my notes agree with Tom that pressure side on the cooler is the bottom fitting which looks to be the top fitting on the housing.

Thanks guys for your help. Found this pic of a complete stock cooler setup

wich has the same routing as the posted pic with aftermarket lines. That confirms that the port next to the oilfilter feeds the bottom of the cooler so as stated by Tom confirms it as pressure port

My bet was the other port so happy I got this cleared out. Essential knowledge to make my new lines.

Cheers!
Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

in your original photo the connection on the left is the pressure feed from the pump.
on the right is return from cooler-> filter
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
in your original photo the connection on the left is the pressure feed from the pump.
on the right is return from cooler-> filter
Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

I thought we determined the fitting closest to the oil filter location on the filter housing is the pressure feed going to the lower fitting on the cooler. No?
Old 01-27-2019, 05:59 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mj951
I thought we determined the fitting closest to the oil filter location on the filter housing is the pressure feed going to the lower fitting on the cooler. No?
Yes thats what I felt but when I re-read V2Rockets reply I see he means the other way around wich was what I thought initially aswell. Still confused!?

​​​​Seems to be different opinions regarding this meaning possibly many driving around with the wrong routing and not ideal cooler capacity as a results.

Anyone with a non tampered fully stock 951 could verify the correct routing and me Im afraid dont know any with a stock 951.

Last edited by PF; 01-27-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:06 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PF
Yes thats what I felt but when I re-read V2Rockets reply I see he means the other way around wich was what I thought initially aswell. Still confused!?

​​​​Seems to be different opinions regarding this meaning possibly many driving around with the wrong routing and not ideal cooler capacity as a results.

Anyone with a non tampered fully stock 951 could verify the correct routing and me Im afraid dont know any with a stock 951.
Would be nice if someone could confirm.
V2Rocket knows his stuff but a definitive verification on the stock setup would be great, my original cooler and lines are long gone.
Based on the OEM images you posted I'm more convinced the top fitting on the housing is pressure going to the lower fitting on the cooler.

That being said I'm not sure how much it matters. I run two auxiliary coolers and have a temp sensor inline with the coolers so I know when the block thermostat has opened and can keep an eye on oil temps. Have had no issues with this setup. I'm actually planning to drain the coolers and reroute my lines this winter but haven't started.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

oil goes to the cooler before the filter.
oil flows thru the filter from the outside perimeter holes to the inside nipple.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

This might illustrate better, taken just now on my car.

That return fitting is drilled directly into the bottom of the oil filter (pre filtered side)

In an aftermarket system you'd want pressure to the bottom, to push any air in the cooler out while filling with oil.
But the 951 thermostat has a bypass so some oil is always flowing to the cooler, it just goes full flow with the t-stat open at 85C or whatever the temperature is.
So it doesn't really matter to feed it the other way around.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:33 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
This might illustrate better, taken just now on my car.

That return fitting is drilled directly into the bottom of the oil filter (pre filtered side)

In an aftermarket system you'd want pressure to the bottom, to push any air in the cooler out while filling with oil.
But the 951 thermostat has a bypass so some oil is always flowing to the cooler, it just goes full flow with the t-stat open at 85C or whatever the temperature is.
So it doesn't really matter to feed it the other way around.

Diagramm makes sense but look at these pics I found of what seems to be stock setups. Bottom port here on the cooler is fed via the port from the oilfilter suggesting that should be pressure port? Or Maybe Porsche did not care to feed the cooler from the bottom? Hmm....
But if its like you say that it really does not matter then I dont have to bother but

I have to say I am still confused since all the info and pics seems to contradict eachother.

Quick Reply: Oil Flow confusion?