control arm bushing removal - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

control arm bushing removal

Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 AM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default control arm bushing removal

I just thought I would share this with everyone on how to remove the rubber part on the bushings and not use a torch.....open flame not exactly the greatest idea.

Used a 1/2 -13 tap to thread the inner bushing. Threaded in the slide hammer and out the ends come.

Here are some pics. Friends machine shop helped me. Friends idea to run a tap in it and pull them out.

Thinking about buying the elephant racing tool to get the inner sleeves out. I just really don't feel the torch technique is a good idea.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nicely done - thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

More pics:
:

Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 PM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I pulled the outside bushing first and then reverse the inside one by putting a 19mm half inch drive socket it as a bump stop and pounded the inner one from the outside of the arm inward.

If anyone does not follow what I mean I can post a pic of pounding the inner bushing out.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Grushy: I'm in the same pickle as you right now and am a day or so away from getting the Elephant Racing tool. Perhaps we can come to some sort of arrangement that will benefit both of us price wise?
Old 01-13-2019, 01:35 AM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where are you located?

I see your lat/long coordinates but I am being lazy at the moment with looking it up
Old 01-13-2019, 09:17 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy View Post
Where are you located?

I see your lat/long coordinates but I am being lazy at the moment with looking it up
Florida.

I'm thinking one of us buys the tool outright, uses it, then sells to the other for $75. The person paying the $75 keeps the tool.

I'm fine with either end of the arrangement, I understand one direction may be more advantageous to you (I think you live in Canada?). Let me know.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:30 PM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep. I live in Calgary Canada. If you buy the tool I will buy it off you for sure. I want one in my collection. I will be doing more than 2 cars worth of suspension as I work on all my friends 944 turbos and 968's

Easier also for you to pick it up first as shipping once across the border is better than twice
Old 01-13-2019, 01:59 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy View Post
Yep. I live in Calgary Canada. If you buy the tool I will buy it off you for sure. I want one in my collection. I will be doing more than 2 cars worth of suspension as I work on all my friends 944 turbos and 968's

Easier also for you to pick it up first as shipping once across the border is better than twice
I will order later today.

Note: Elephant Racing is slow on shipping, so I hope you don't need it this week. My arms are out of the car and waiting on the tool, so once I get it, there shouldn't be much of a delay on my end.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
87944turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Certainly looks like the best way to go about this task, assuming you have access to the tools. I have to admit though, there was something deeply satisfying about taking the torch to my old bushings. Nothing quite like the smell of 30+ year old vulcanized rubber being cooked : )

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: