Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bilstein Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:02 PM
FTW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Inserts

will a Bilstein insert simply replace the existing cartridge? I’ve never attempted this and it looks like the top nut on the cartridge is unscrewed to remove it. Thanks you in advance.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

No, that's not how Bilsteins are put together. The shocks are upside down, the silver part under the blue dust guard is actually the body of the shock. There's a nut at the bottom of the strut holding it in place.
If you're having issues with your struts your best bet would be to send them to Bilstein and have them rebuilt.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:22 PM
FTW
Advanced

Where is this nut at the bottom holding the strut in place? Once I see how these things go together I can understand better.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

On the bottom. It's a locknut, remove it then thread the end of the rod out of the housing.using an allen wrench, or slotted screwdriver if they're old struts

Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 AM
FTW
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kurt R
On the bottom. It's a locknut, remove it then thread the end of the rod out of the housing.using an allen wrench, or slotted screwdriver if they're old struts

weird. There’s no such nut at the bottom of mine. I’ll take a picture and upload
Old 01-04-2019, 01:22 AM
FTW
Advanced

Originally Posted by FTW

weird. There’s no such nut at the bottom of mine. I’ll take a picture and upload

no nut.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:28 AM
FTW
Advanced

Picture isn’t uploading
Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

'86 turbo struts feature threaded collars and this is how the inserts were originally installed.
'86 struts that were fitted down the line with replacement Bilstein inserts often received a sticker when done at a shop, and this is probably what we have here.
Replacement Koni inserts usually fitted on 87+ struts are screwed from the bottom of the struts.
Many folks these days have 87+ struts modified and welded with threaded collars to install Blistein inserts, which in my experience are superior to Koni inserts.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
'86 turbo struts feature threaded collars and this is how the inserts were originally installed.
'86 struts that were fitted down the line with replacement Bilstein inserts often received a sticker when done at a shop, and this is probably what we have here.
Replacement Koni inserts usually fitted on 87+ struts are screwed from the bottom of the struts.
Many folks these days have 87+ struts modified and welded with threaded collars to install Blistein inserts, which in my experience are superior to Koni inserts.
Those do not look like the early struts with a threaded collar, the collar is not correct, they look like the modified and welded threaded collars used to accommodate Bilstein inserts as you point out. Plus the struts not only have a decal, they have also been painted yellow. I’m going to speculate that those struts have been modified for Bilstein, painted and decaled at the same time. They would therefore take the Bilstein insert without the bottom attachment as someone posted.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:59 PM
FTW
Advanced

Originally Posted by MAGK944

Those do not look like the early struts with a threaded collar, the collar is not correct, they look like the modified and welded threaded collars used to accommodate Bilstein inserts as you point out. Plus the struts not only have a decal, they have also been painted yellow. I’m going to speculate that those struts have been modified for Bilstein, painted and decaled at the same time. They would therefore take the Bilstein insert without the bottom attachment as someone posted.
I see, to replace the inserts the top nut comes off.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Inserts