Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

sudden engine bay oil bath! What could it be. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sudden engine bay oil bath! What could it be. Help!

Just got done installing M-tune from LR. Before I soldered connections on the ecu i took it for a drive. Excellent response, purrs like a kitty, exhaust does not smell too rich, and at 30 degrees ambient temperature it started right up! Drove around two blocks, warming up the engine, marveling at engine control, and even before I went into a little boost I could smell some oil. I thought it was residual oil on the headers from working on the car, but the odor got more intense and I could see white smoke in my rear view mirror! engine still purring nicely, like a timex watch. Pulled over, opened the hood. the top looks great, no oil, but there is wet oil spray just *under* the #4 header, the engine block stamp number is saturated with wet oil, there's sprayed oil on the fire wall but, again, just under the header and it tracks down the block. It seems to be in that corner only, under header #3 and forward is bone dry.

Whats in this corner of the engine, under the headers that could have given up? The engine still runs great, NO white smoke from the exhaust, no oil in the water.

Any thoughts??

thanx in advance
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

cold oil is thick - high pressure on startup - maybe you blew out the cam tower gasket?

happened to me about a year ago, oil and smoke everywhere.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:10 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Fwiw balance shaft end seals are prone to failure this time of year. The right one under the headers goes first from a combination of past heat cycles and sudden cold temperatures.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:20 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the only high pressure oil circuit from the block to the cylinder head (a hole in gasket that feeds the oil pressure limiting valve) is at the rear at the #4 cylinder.

How old is the head gasket...?

Once had a call from my son who was out on a movie date in his '87S.

Said oil leaking so bad he didn't think it was safe to drive.

Was in a safe space so went trailer it home next day.

Got it home and it was leaking (not just a leak, pressure behind it) from same area.

Pulled cylinder head and gasket was corroded and the oil pressure feed hole that supplies cylinder head and cam housing was split, opened to leak externally.

Only other items in that region are a) cam housing to cylinder head gasket (just as likely) and b) rear cam housing cover gasket or the housing itself.

The paper gasket is oil under pressure (channel to feed lobes/lifters), the rear cover gasket, just crankcase pressure

T
Old 12-05-2018, 09:40 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Oil filter seal blown due to a stuck OPRV
Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Recently, I had oil on the engine number stamping too. I had assembled the cam tower with a new gasket and noticed the leak some weeks after. I took my little torque wrench and re-torqued that last bolt. It stopped leaking,

You mention you just did some work--not just the MAF I presume? If you assembled the cam cover, I know it's hard to evenly torque all the bolts; a couple at that end are on weird angles. Try to torque it again but using a different socket arrangement ie. one that doesn't use an elbow
Old 12-06-2018, 02:41 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

He mentioned the word SPRAY when the OPRV is stuck the oil filter seal is blown by the pressure and oil is Sprayed near the oil filter housing.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:43 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies and help guys! Today Im gonna get under there again and look and clean that corner with brake-clean. Interesting, when I put her up last night and took an initial look it may be the cam cover gasket. Had my son start the car for a few minutes while I was under there looking up with flashlight in hand....... nothing leaking! Now that I think about it I did hear a small "blow out" noise at the start of the engine yesterday, didn't know what that was but ignored it instantly when the engine turned over and idled nicely.

Its plausible that there was pressure build-up to explain what I heard, but if so, this begs the question: Why didn't porsche fix this and why after so many years did it do this now?? Also, what do I do to prevent this same problem in the future? Anyone??

The balance shaft seal on this side is too low and forward, will look at it again today.

I hope it has nothing to do with head gasket $#%^&&%$ !!!!!

Jaime
Old 12-06-2018, 02:45 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Hi Lart! My problem is actually not around the oil filter. Its in back of the block, the corner near the firewall on the passenger side.

cheers
Old 12-06-2018, 05:20 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Thanks for the replies and help guys! Today Im gonna get under there again and look and clean that corner with brake-clean. Interesting, when I put her up last night and took an initial look it may be the cam cover gasket. Had my son start the car for a few minutes while I was under there looking up with flashlight in hand....... nothing leaking! Now that I think about it I did hear a small "blow out" noise at the start of the engine yesterday, didn't know what that was but ignored it instantly when the engine turned over and idled nicely.

Its plausible that there was pressure build-up to explain what I heard, but if so, this begs the question: Why didn't porsche fix this and why after so many years did it do this now?? Also, what do I do to prevent this same problem in the future? Anyone??

The balance shaft seal on this side is too low and forward, will look at it again today.

I hope it has nothing to do with head gasket $#%^&&%$ !!!!!

Jaime
What do you mean, why didn't Porsche fix what....?

T
Old 12-06-2018, 05:42 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

--SOLVED!-

The mystery has been solved!!

Sophomoric mistake! My son, who was tasked with connecting the metal pipes running under the intake manifold to the M-tune metal body using Lindsey Racing silicone hoses, accidentally plumbed the hose that was suppose to go to M-tune inlet onto the high pressure inlet of the pipe going to the throttle body. So, under boost I was sending boost pressure into the engine! Duh! The weakest area apparently for my engine was likely the cam cover gasket on the back. Just took it on a high pressure full boost run and it runs way awesome! The low end torque is much more satisfying. Really like this setup!

Big thank you to David Lindsey who was spot on as to what may have happened. I described my setup and sent him a photo of the plumbing. He immediately knew what happened!

Also, Big thank you to all of you who chimed in and offered ideas.

Jaime
Old 12-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
--SOLVED!-

The mystery has been solved!!

Sophomoric mistake! My son, who was tasked with connecting the metal pipes running under the intake manifold to the M-tune metal body using Lindsey Racing silicone hoses, accidentally plumbed the hose that was suppose to go to M-tune inlet onto the high pressure inlet of the pipe going to the throttle body. So, under boost I was sending boost pressure into the engine! Duh! The weakest area apparently for my engine was likely the cam cover gasket on the back. Just took it on a high pressure full boost run and it runs way awesome! The low end torque is much more satisfying. Really like this setup!

Big thank you to David Lindsey who was spot on as to what may have happened. I described my setup and sent him a photo of the plumbing. He immediately knew what happened!

Also, Big thank you to all of you who chimed in and offered ideas.

Jaime
Jamie,

Glad you got it fixed, You're fun to work with and always have a good attitude. Actually, I told you what it was before you ever sent me a picture.

Dave
Other 1-405-947-0137

Quick Reply: sudden engine bay oil bath! What could it be. Help!