Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone Using a Cheap eBay Catch Can? Questions and Gen Catch Can Knowledge Requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone Using a Cheap eBay Catch Can? Questions and Gen Catch Can Knowledge Requested

Looking to add a catch can and wondering if the ebay cheapies work well enough. I assume that a minimum requirement be that the can have a baffle butI'm wondering about the appropriate size for our cars? My car has 200k miles and it's begun smoking on full throttle/boost which I assume is the valve guides but I'm willing to try a catch can to see if that helps at all. Also, I figure any less oil in the intake will only be good.

And I've read a bunch about venting and not sure if venting to atmosphere is better or just plumbing it back into the intake. I prefer not to vent so unless our cars work better with the vent, I will keep it sealed. Also not sure of CA emissions testing; can probably get away with a sealed can but a vented can might draw attention....

Any other info appreciated.

And I know about the can everyone uses here but not willing to spend $200 for it.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

no way that a catch can will pass CA smog visual.
wonder if your turbo seals are aging instead of valve seals/guides.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

My two cents, I made my own with a simple screen baffle (perforated aluminum sheet), and at least visually it catches virtually all the oil without passing any to the intake. I think the fancy ones may be overkill for our motors. An old soup can would probably work as well if you could plumb and seal it. Sustained blue smoke under acceleration is often due to worn rings. Turbo seals are also possible, but the ones I've seen go bad did it in more spectacular fashion. Valve guides tend to smoke on start up, gear shifts, etc. Just rules of thumb, and a leak down test sounds to be in order to pinpoint the source. I agree with V2 on smog. If they see if and are following all the rules, you wouldn't pass the dreaded 'visual' test...
Old 12-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stamp a porsche P/N on it like 951 587 011 and say its OEM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Stamp a porsche P/N on it like 951 587 011 and say its OEM.
An old-time Rennlister (not me I swear) had a Porsche/Bosch sticker made up for a MAF, complete with part numbers and logos, to make it look like something that came with the car. It didn't work. At all.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use an inexpensive one from ebay or Amazon. Plumb it back to the motor. Use steel wool as a filter medium.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:02 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd be a little cautious with steel wool that's a pretty fine (thin) material.
Here's a thread on the topic with a pic and info on the can I'm using. It is plumbed with a return line and still working well.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...atch-cans.html
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
snb13
Pro

Sorry, the pot scrubber steel wool.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

stainless steel scrubber wool. I use it on my m3 with a generic ebay catch can, works great.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:07 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a good used 951 Saikou Michi Catch Can for sale, if anyone is interested. $90+shipping.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:27 PM
ekoz
Racer

Having done two diy catch can set ups with decent success using baffles and SS scrub pads, I would buy the Saikou michi for $90 and save yourself the hassle. my two pennies worth.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by snb13
Sorry, the pot scrubber steel wool.
Ah...yes, that would be similar to what's in the AMW can I have.
The steel mesh (wool) is also contained within the cap of the AMW can and held in place by the perforated disk as seen here.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:55 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I deleted the A/C from my car long ago to make room for a second oil cooler and big sway bar, so the receiver/dryer location made for a good spot to squeeze in a Saikou Michi catch can, though just barely! I actually had to grind a bit from the headlight bracket. This still won't pass CA visual smog inspection, though; it was more due to the factory 951 engine bay being so cramped!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

^^ a used receiver dryer (cut open and modified) would probably work pretty well for a catch can actually.

could even keep the AC-type hoses so it looks stock...and use the AC compressor as a vacuum pump
Old 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the help, guys, but i think you're being a little too worried about the visual test for smog. I would think they wouldn't notice the can unless it's overly obvious. And even if they do, it's such an easy disconnect, could even do it at the test station. Or go back. Or just remove it before the test and restore to stock.

I'm leaning towards an ebay can which looks to be the exact same can as the Mishimoto Compact Baffled can. It's only $20 from China or around $30 from a U.S. supplier. Some even appear to come in Mishimoto packaging. It looks to be well made and even has a brass filter in addition to the baffling. Also, it comes completely apart for cleaning. I'm a little surprised the Sakaiou is completely sealed. The only concern with the ebay can is that it is quite small, about 4 inches tall and only 2 oz capacity. Is this going to be filling up every few weeks? No one has ever told me how much oil accumulates in the can which i find strange. I realize it's different for everyone based on car condition and driving style but still no one has been able to tell me whether it takes 6 months to a year or a couple of weeks. I would love to hear how much oil you guys catch in the cans.

Oh, and with the mileage on my car, I'm planning for both a valve guide/head rebuild and a turbo rebuild, probably with the turbo first. I just thought the catch can might do a little to help kill the blue smoke until I'm able to do more.

Quick Reply: Anyone Using a Cheap eBay Catch Can? Questions and Gen Catch Can Knowledge Requested