Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can't Remove WG, help please! (was "Doing some work today, suggestions?")

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 01:48 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't Remove WG, help please! (was "Doing some work today, suggestions?")

I am planning on installing my new Tial today and doing a few things under the intake manifold.

Anybody have any suggestions or advice on either procedure? I am planning on replacing my vacuum hoses, venturi mess, intake gaskets, injector seals, and maybe put a catch can in. Anything snags I might run into?

About the Tial install, should I use any loctite on the bolts? If so, which color? Anybody know the torque specs?

-----update-----

I attempted to remove my WG...unfortunately, I am stuck on a few bolts. I PB blasted most of the bolts and they came off fine. I am having trouble with the 2 13mm bolts that attach the hanger bracket. I have a universal joint and I just can't seem to get the socket to line up.

Any pointers? Should I try removing the bracket from the WG by removing the 6mm allen bolts?

Thanks,
Max

Last edited by macnewma; 01-25-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:55 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was just reading the instructions that MySwiss sent me for the Tial. He says to drill out the holes on the Tial in order to accomodate the new bolts. Does anybody know what size bit to use? Also, what type of bit would you recommend?

Thanks,
Max
Old 01-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Pa_951
Intermediate

just make sure you have a good vacuum diagram...those vac lines can get confusing.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:58 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am really at wits end here. I know I must be doing something wrong. Any help?

Thanks,
Max
Old 01-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" I am having trouble with the 2 13mm bolts that attach the hanger bracket. I have a universal joint and I just can't seem to get the socket to line up. "

The angle of your U-joint is too extreme. Use about 18" worth of extensions and approach the hanger bolts from the back of the car. You can attack them from pretty much straight on with that long of extensions.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:07 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Danno. I must be looking at it all wrong. I was coming at the bolts from underneath. Apparently I am a moron.

I will take a look at it in the next day or two. Also, did you get my email today?

Thanks,
Max
Old 01-26-2004, 09:57 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

macnewma,
are you running it with the reliaboost (single-port config)?
If so, are you plugging any lines in the engine bay? With the lindsey wg I think you need to plug some lines in the engine bay but I am not sure if you need to do this with the single-port config with the Tial as I have the Tial myself. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:32 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

p0wp0w-

That is a good question. I am not sure what you referring to though. Do you mean the old cycling valve lines? If so, than yes. I will remove the CV and run straight from my reliaboost to the side port on the tial.

Are there other lines that need to be plugged?

BTW, what is generally accepted as the best method for plugging lines? A bolt and a hose clamp?

Max
Old 01-26-2004, 10:55 AM
MySwiss
Pro

macnewma. The drill bit you want to use , should be the same size as the hole. you just want to take the threads out, so your bolt can go through into the adapter plate.

As for Loctite, you can use some blue, although it probably won't do anything at those temperatures. You will want to torque those bolts , at 30 ft/lbs at least. And check them again in two weeks,after a few heat cycles, cause they sometimes get loose.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:34 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed the support bracket and thin heat shield and used about a 2.5' extension so you can get a straigh run at the WG hanger bolts, they are a p.i.t.a......
Old 01-26-2004, 02:08 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

Yeah,
I meant the lines that were plugged into the CV...do you have instructions on how to take out the CV or bypass it? Thanks again
Old 01-26-2004, 02:42 PM
biggles
Pro

Matt,
I cannot recall all the facts, but bypassing the CV should require you to eliminate the hose off the J pipe. Now if you are updating to the new hoses, you can actually eliminate all of those pipes and tubes under the IM. Do a search on the topic and you will find some good material, that's what I did when I was changing mine.
I am also in Houston.
Good Luck
Old 01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt-

I haven't gotten that far yet. Once I remove the WG and put the new Tial in, I will need to route the line from the Reliaboost to the Tial. To do that, I am going to remove the intake manifold and redo the vacuum lines.

You can search on here to find threads describing this procedure. Basically, the 86 cars had a mess of tubes that were updated later. I am going to do the update and swap my thin hard lines for silicone lines.

Max
Old 01-26-2004, 03:17 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

biggles,
what part of houston are you in?
and what color is your car?
I have seen a white 951 with similar exterior mods that you have, maybe you are the one?

Alright thanks for the info Max!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:58 PM
biggles
Pro

Matt,
I am actually in Katy, the car is the burgundy/wine color. I used to have a white 944S. I try not to use it too much, preferably weekends. I am one of the older guys like George and John, but as you can see I still like all of this fun. I had plan to use the car for DE, but quite not sure at this time.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can't Remove WG, help please! (was "Doing some work today, suggestions?")