Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 944 turbo f/s

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 01:35 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luis de Prat

>>>All I have to say is that Rennlist used to be a lot friendlier with newbies.<<<

Perhaps you are correct... but I just get tired of seeing people throw around the term "excellent" or "mint", or "clean" ... condition.. over and over to the extent that it has no real meaning since it gets misused so often.

Excellent condition means excellent condition. Period. It does not mean that becuse it's 15 years old and as such the standard for excellent is lowered. Excellent is Excellent.. plain and simple.

And that interior was about as far away from excellent as you can get.

Was he asking a ton for the car? No. His asking price was pretty much inline... but come on.... does he think we are that stupid?

Yes it doesn't fool us that are in the "know"... but it's still no excuse.

Throwing around those terms is misleading, and an insult to those of that really know what's up (and that pretty much everyone here).

There's nothing worse than going to look at a car that is advertised in one condition, to only find out that it's nowhere near the advertised condition. We've all been there. It's a waste of all of our time. And it's not right.

TonyG
Old 01-27-2004, 09:21 AM
DAR951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TonyG
Excellent condition means excellent condition. Period.... Excellent is Excellent.. plain and simple.

TonyG
Thanks for clearing that up. Likewise the differences between,

"Fast";
"Certainly Fast";
"Seriously Fast"; and
"Extremely Fast"... all expressed in horsepower...
Old 01-27-2004, 01:57 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

come on guys
he gave an extensive list of pictures, he gave a low price, he didnt expect such criticism from people with no interest in buying the car. i wouldnt either.

as to what is fast..ive seen 3000+hp drag cars that I consider fast..and ive also seen 190 hp lotus elise that I consider fast
i consider my 150 hp 944 fast...it handles, (the only racing ive done is autoX) i can get times with my 150 hp that compete with 500+hp dedicated autoX camaros and mustangs....theres a saab that only has 315hp ...it beats everything, its makes people mad ...

"fast" is SOOOOOOOOOO subjective to opinion, that YES it shouldnt be a term to sell a car and YES it shouldnt be something you criticize...
obviously a car sold as a race car or as a HIGH DOLLAR car can be termed very fast (or whatever the proper term is )
if the offer for 3500 or ever 4000 is taken...what person expects to get much for 4000 dollars....

our cars a AMAZING bang for the buck cars....
they are not in the same market as for people that would look to buy a new car..however....go buy a new sports car for 50 thousand and then put 50 thousand dollars into the engine and suspension of a 951....maybe im wrong but im pretty sure a $50k 951 would be amazing...balanced and refined and comfortable..AND at the same time putting up a power to wieght ratio that smokes most new $50k cars....

if im wrong, since i dont have $50k to put into a car and i havent seen your receipts...EXCUSE ME..i didnt know!..AND im sorry for being wrong
....im only trying to point out that ive seen many people harped on for no apparent reason...."to each his own" i guess....but maybe we could all lighten up a bit

(to everyone who asked reasonable questions and who didnt make a mockery out of him and his car, thank you)
Old 01-27-2004, 02:17 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

While I think Tony could be more intouch with his feminine side, he's correct, and I'm not going to fault him for pointing out what was wrong in that advertisement, and I'll applaud him for stepping in and saying something. When I bought my car in Chicago, I found it to be below expectations from the description of the seller and the pictures sent to me. I purchased it anyway, thinking it was close enough and still within the price range (though at the high end for what it was). It wasn't until I got it home when I realized what a mess I had on my hands. If Tony's however harsh criticism helped point things out to others who may have been thinking of flying 1,500 miles to see this car, then he's done a service to us all. Unfortunately the things that were wrong with my purchase couldn't have been seen in pictures (or at least the ones I got), but I was no novice of Porsche's. If I had been, and that had been my first purchase, having never known of Rennlist, I'd have been disappointed in the brand and marquee of the car.

So, crack open an ice cold bud lite, Mr. really harsh criticism man, I salute you.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my better condition, slightly higher mileage 951 (87+) for 1200 dollars less. When I say better condition: the seats were in good cond., interior was in very good condition, dash was in good condition (2-3 cracks but not tore the hell up), body was in VG cond, paint is VG, maintenance was all recently done (though I have to say not all that well but it was done), hatch was excellent, etc, etc, etc.

I think that the offers in the 3500-4000 range are pretty darn reasonable. Considering the need for respray, add spacers, new dash, new shift boot/****, new steering wheel, clean interior (replace what does not come clean), no known history (records, etc). If I were selling it and was offered 4K, I would jump at getting rid of it.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:55 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Matt - you bought your car for 3800? Damn..
Old 01-27-2004, 03:00 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt I offered the guy money, but he has yet to call me back on the status. I offered him a nice amount for a car in fair condition.

The only reason I'd like to know is because I'm in the process of purchasing an RX-7 TII locally with 20k miles on a rebuilt engine, and the car is in good condition, but I'd rather go for a 951.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark - yes I did (give or take 50-100 dollars, who remembers).

I saw that a few of you had offered. After having a number of T-IIs, unless you REALLY want one, wait. They can be very hard to live with on a daily basis and making them fast is not as easy a task.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:00 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Ahhh - but how about the ease of task to make them seriously fast, or "extremely fast"? Hmmmmm...?

Well Matt, I do have to say you got yours for a steal.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:11 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Well, there goes that guy's car on evilBay: eBay auction. He's downgraded the car to "very fast". Any bets as to how much the car will sell for?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:04 AM
1st944
Track Day

Sorry guys I have been too busy to respond to your posts. Luis and porschefig, thanks for being reasonable and not taking the attack on me and my car. Its good that not everyone on this forum is so negative. v944god, im sorry but your offer is not what I am looking to get, if you are able as MAtt H was to get one for under 4000 regardless of the condition, you should do it. Tony, your cars sound awesome, and yes I have been in fast cars, not with 722 hp, but much lighter then 3200lbs, with over 400rwhp, so i do know what fast is. Im not gonna argue this meaningless matter anymore, but you still never said what extremely fast is, 722hp was stupid fast, if you could just give me the hp and weight for extremely fast so in the future I can correct anyone who disagrees.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:05 AM
1st944
Track Day

oh an by the way josephsc, yes the car is on ebay, and yes I did take what you guys said into consideration. When you need to sell something, sometimes you do need a market, so oh well.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:08 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone want to start a betting pool on what it will get?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:29 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

1st944, take care I hope you do well on Ebay.

Sincerely

Luis
Old 01-28-2004, 01:36 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Taken from the ebay ad:

>>>"What you are bidding on here is a great 944 Turbo."<<<

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

>>>"With only a very few inexpensive fixes, this could easily be one of nicest 944 turbos sold on ebay"<<<

Wow. I better get my bid in.

>>>" To be perfect the car could really use a respray. "<<<

Uhh that's an understatement.

>>>"I am not sure when the timing belt was done last..."<<<

Great news!

>>>This car will make any sports car entusiast very happy, and would also be great to turn into a race car or weekend project car.<<<

Happy if spending his life savings constitutes happiness. And it woud certainly be a weekend project car... for quite a few weekends I might add...

>>>>"Air Conditioning (needs a charge)"<<<

Translation: I have no idea what's up... but the a/c don't work. Some R12, which will cost you a good $125 to fill up would be a good start... but there might be leaks or the compressor might not work at all....

TonyG

Quick Reply: 1986 944 turbo f/s