Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

lol great assessment Tony.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:29 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

This thread is amusing. Im kind of on the fence.

Part of me agrees with much of Tony Gs assessment as far as people misusing descriptive terms for their car.

Whenever I read mint, I automatically downgrade it to excellent or good. When I read excellent, I assume good or fair. When I hear good, I think fair or downright poor. I drove 225 miles one way to look at a 930 that from the photos looked "excellent to mint" and when i got there it was fair to poor. Didnt help that the photos were 6yrs old he sent me it turned out. Ive seen mint. I own mint in various places on my cars (not the whole car), but cars that are excellent or mint in every phase are cars that will be pulling ribbons on Sunday. Absolutely no exceptions whatsoever. So I feel Tony's frustration, though I would disagree to a certain extent and align with others that "fast" has a subjectiveness to it. Paul Tracy might think Tony's IROC is downright slow compared to his weekend car (Champ car). So I dont have a big beef about him using any relative term consisting of 'fast'.

That said, no point in dumping on the guy. We are all above that. Hes admitted his descriptions might be off -- hes certainly not the first, especially on Rennlist, to do that. Ive seen a lot worse descriptions. He just seemed to show up at the wrong place at the wrong time and got eaten by the Rennlist pack of wolves. We all own 944s so its easy to bag someone whos trying to dump a car b/c we can point out every hinge and carpet fiber thats not up to spec. I say let the car and photos speak for themselves. No need to talk "down". No need to get worked up over a car we're not interested in anyway. Im sure some on here will show interest as has been demonstrated by one bloke, so let them worry about it. I think all the points have been made either way.

Relax. There are far greater tragedies in life.

Just my opinion from the bleachers fellas.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:59 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

1st 944
Sorry for the bashing of the car. Some people have nothing better to do than criticize what other people think/feel or say. While I do agree with Tony about the car being not being extremely fast I also agree that it is such a matter of opinion that it is not worth belittling someone over, especially if they are not the person buying it. Maybe you just used the wrong words to describe the car. Most should understand because I think they are human also and do make mistakes (at least I think most are--of course we all are Porsche nuts). Furthermore, by replying to such people as Tony and NZ951 after their assessment of the car only further adds fuel to the fire and allows them to continue. Just don't say anything. Let it go and don't let it bother you and the issue will be dropped. I thought that people from this board would be a little more understanding of your perception of the condition of the car. Instead of bashing your car the ones who are very knowledgeable about these cars should help others to understand the condition better not publicly bash them and the car.
Oh, yeah and another thing to those who call others names, grow up!!
Sorry, just my opinion... and I'm tired and cranky!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:53 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jdog

Although your comments are fair and for the most part true, there's one part that I'm still puzzled by....

And that part is.. how you would you know if I intended to buy the car or not inlight of the fact that I own 2 parts cars now as well as a finished 951? (not to mention the recently sold supercharged 968.. or any of my previous 951's).

I think it's fair to say that I've purchased and built a few of these cars in my time.... so is it not reasonable that I would be looking for a parts car? (because that's exactly what that car would be purchased for... a parts car).

You are making an assumption that my evaluation of the car would preclude me from buying that same car. That assumption would be incorrect.

So although my assessement of the car was tough to the seller... it was a very real assessemnt of the car. It's not sugar coated... but it's accurate (and I was nice in my opinion)

If guy would have come out and said, "hey.. I've got a 951 that I need to sell... it runs good, has high mileage, but is rough, etc..." Nobody would have said a thing. But the used car salesman approach to selling cars, especially Porsches, is getting old.. real old (and especially to those of us that have been around the block with these types of tactics (search the archives and you'll see that I had the exact same thing happen to me by a Rennlister here amoung us)).

So give the guy a break?

Why?

TonyG
Old 01-28-2004, 04:05 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Look at all the attention this guy is getting on his "clunker" as someone on another post referred to it. He must be loving the market penetration!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:10 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... penetration to who ever buys it.

TonyG
Old 01-28-2004, 04:16 AM
NZ951
Race Director

ba dom ching
Old 01-28-2004, 09:25 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... penetration to who ever buys it.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Damnit Tony, you can't say that stuff while I'm at work, my co-workers look at me funny!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:16 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Its on EBAY!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6434
Old 01-28-2004, 12:55 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Its on EBAY!!http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6434
"With only a very few inexpensive fixes, this could easily be one of nicest 944 turbos sold on ebay."

Old 01-28-2004, 01:11 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

I paid more for my turbo S and its way worse on the exterior. However the interior is pretty good. I also got a new dash in perfect condition with airbags with the deal!
I think its something that can be worked with. Here in Atlanta I looked a many 944 turbos before I made a late night run to Tampa to buy mine. I drove some 944's with close to 200k on them that were asking much more. Basically becasuse it was the summer the A/C worked and the wheels where "Upgraded" I like my factory "S" wheels myself...
At any rate I think this car looks to be in pretty good shape for its age, but it has not been maintained like a normal porsche should be. I wonder if we will start seeing boxters in this type of shape in 7 years or so?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:49 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry to high jack this thread but a have a classic 1965 mustang GT for sale it is in excellent condition just needs a little work to be like new please pm if interested.

Luis
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2004, 02:22 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I bet it is extremely fast being, I hear you can knck many seconds off your 1/4 time by taking your engine out to reduce weight.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:38 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

NZ951,

It helps at high speeds the drag coefficient is very low. Also keeps the car cool no overheating at all.

I hope I don't get flame for this I am just trying to be as honest as I can.

Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2004, 03:52 PM
tuna2
Advanced

I think you are going to need a re-spray. You really should have posted that. I would also not call it excellent, rather cherry since it is a mustang.

Quick Reply: 1986 944 turbo f/s