Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starting New Race Gas Religion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Starting New Race Gas Religion

I filled my tank with VP Motorsport 103 unleaded race gas today (in preparation for tomorrow's installation of my new custom GURU chips). My car already felt very strong (despite an ugly a/f curve), but with the race gas the car just woke up like crazy. I cranked the boost up to 21 or so (which may have helped my rich spot), and the car feels unreal. I am wondering if my knock sensor was pulling timing before, because it feels like way more power than just 3 or 4 more psi. It feels soooo good this way, I almost hate to swap the chips (but I will, because when I revert to street gas, the a/f is just way too out of whack with the APE chips).

Anyway, if anybody is looking for weekend fun, get some race gas and crank the boost. YeeeeeHaaawww!!!!!!!!!!

Look for a report back on the GURU chips soon.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was the gas? Is there a website I can visit?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Visiting Andrews Avenue
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

http://www.vpracingfuels.com

I got the Motorsport 103, which was a mere $6.10 a gallon. They had 100 octane gas for $5.10 a gallon.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Hey Ed, Yes I went to that VP station. By the way, when I cranked up the boost, I blew off a vacuum line. It took me a while to find, but the thing I found interesting is that the car boosted slower. Have you gone over all your vacuum connections to make sure you have no leaks?

How is your car coming along? If the chips go in without a problem tomorrow, I may see if I can get time on our favorite dyno next saturday (or a weeknight if he'll do it then).
Old 01-24-2004, 10:41 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Tom,

I am there. I understand your point of blowing off a vacuum line. That is why all of mine are currently showing. Let me know when you are planning to be at the dyno. Next Sunday would be better than next Saturday as the Heat are playing that Saturday, as you know. During the week I don't get back into Fort Lauderdale area until 7PM. However, I would be happy to meet you there. Its been a fun time.

I am waiting for some parts to arrive and I found a muffler shop that will put in a removable test pipe so I can swap in and out the cat (for track work of course.) I should be back on the dyno the following Saturday after that is completed. I still cannot believe how much power was unleashed by bypassing the CV.

That VP stuff is great. Strange that it slowed down the spool time. Interesting, I would think that the opposite should occur.

I believe that you are right regarding the knock senors retarding the spark. The literature that I received with my Authority Stage II chips did mention that there could be some hp gained by the use of racing fuel. In addition with those chips in I did notice a difference as well.

As my A/F ratio is totally off I won't be using that fuel until Baby is dialed in. Then I'll go back to the dyno again. I wonder what the difference in hp is between street and race fuel? We'll soon find out :-) ed
Old 01-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Sorry, I was unclear. The loose vacuum line slowed the spool. Once the vacuum line was reattached, the car boosts like crazy. I just got in from another test drive, and can't wipe the smile off my face. I'm starting to second guess my 3.0 liter plans, and think I should focus on an LSD tranny and fatter tires. In first, I cannot get much traction at all. Maybe I need to re-think that Apexi boost controller so that I can run first with lower boost. Hmmmm.... 3 liter and APexi, yeah, that's the ticket. I'll let you know when I get back to the dyno. I think next Sunday is the Superbowl, so I thought it might be easier to talk him into Sat. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:45 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use VP C12

It burns at 108, thus requires less in your "mix" to achieve an acceptable octane rating.

The cost is about the same.

I run 7 gallons of C12 leaded to 14 gallons of 91 octane pump unleaded.

I purchased the VP C12 in 54 gallon drums and pump out what I need when I need it (when it's time to refuel).

Also... Do not tune your car on a fuel mix you don't plan to run everyday.... ie., filling up the tank with 103 unleaded. Although the fuel is good, is good for the engine, and won't hurt a thing, running pure 103 unleaded does not represent your real everyday fuel mix that you will be running, thus to tune a car on a fuel that the car will not be running regularly means nothing. You cannot expect your car to run the same way on the normal fuel (what ever that is), thus to tune on something other than the "normal fuel" is a waste of time.

You'll just have to do it again, or you'll have problems after you go back to the normal everyday fuel.

TonyG
Old 01-25-2004, 12:50 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought some NOS octane boost to try it out. Will let you guys know if there is any improvement. I used C16 before, but was running stanndard boost as my controller went bung, so could not tell if it was better
Old 01-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Tony,

Isn't C12 a leaded fuel? My cat ran away, but I still have the O2 sensor. I thought the O2 sensor would foul-up with leaded gas. No?

As for tuning, your point is well taken. I bought it as a safety measure so that I can test out GURU's chips (and get the ARC2 close) with reduced fear of blowing it to smithereens. With the new chips, I will have to trial and error a bit to get the a/f in the right ball park with my ARC2. As for it being a waste of time, I have to disagree. It's way too fun to call it a waste of time. Carpe Diem Baby!! At this rate, I'll burn it off before I get back to the dyno next week anyway.

Oh, and by the way, who said this won't be my everyday gas from now on. I'm not sure I can go back now that I've tasted it.

Originally posted by TonyG
Use VP C12

It burns at 108, thus requires less in your "mix" to achieve an acceptable octane rating.

The cost is about the same.

I run 7 gallons of C12 leaded to 14 gallons of 91 octane pump unleaded.

I purchased the VP C12 in 54 gallon drums and pump out what I need when I need it (when it's time to refuel).

Also... Do not tune your car on a fuel mix you don't plan to run everyday.... ie., filling up the tank with 103 unleaded. Although the fuel is good, is good for the engine, and won't hurt a thing, running pure 103 unleaded does not represent your real everyday fuel mix that you will be running, thus to tune a car on a fuel that the car will not be running regularly means nothing. You cannot expect your car to run the same way on the normal fuel (what ever that is), thus to tune on something other than the "normal fuel" is a waste of time.

You'll just have to do it again, or you'll have problems after you go back to the normal everyday fuel.

TonyG
Old 01-25-2004, 04:06 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NZ951
I just bought some NOS octane boost to try it out. Will let you guys know if there is any improvement. I used C16 before, but was running stanndard boost as my controller went bung, so could not tell if it was better
Those don't work. I found the octane rating isint the same. I can't remember exactly what me and I my friend found out but, it was something like the nos octane actually only boost's your octane by a couple of points. I did find one that actually boosted it like 10 point's....but, I can't remember the name...I will ask my friend which one it was. I use c16 .....mixed with 93 octane. The difference in my car on pump gas and my car on race gas is just stupid.....I mean stupid. That why when I was posting those video's I made sure to include the boost pressure I was running and the fact that I was on pump gas not c16 mix.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:25 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Tom M'Guinn
My cat ran away, but I still have the O2 sensor.
HAHAHAHA!! I've never heard it phrased that way, that is hillarious!!

I'm stealing that one!

-Kevin
Old 01-25-2004, 04:39 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

VP103 is the ****. I buy 'em in drums

It's awesome cuz it's unleaded, doesn't kill off my O2 sensors. Enough octane to make BIG power without knock.

As for octane boosters, they're useless. Raises octane by 7 points. Which means for 91 octane fuel, you'll get 91.7, not 98. Complete waste of money.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:01 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rage2
VP103 is the ****. I buy 'em in drums

It's awesome cuz it's unleaded, doesn't kill off my O2 sensors. Enough octane to make BIG power without knock.

As for octane boosters, they're useless. Raises octane by 7 points. Which means for 91 octane fuel, you'll get 91.7, not 98. Complete waste of money.

YEAH!!! RAGE THAT'S WHAT IT WAS THAT WE FOUND OUT! it's not 10 full octane points;......but, there is one out there that really does work...I will have to get the name from kyle...although it is 4 times the price of the nos style type octane booster's...so
Old 01-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an observation, when you say that it raises the octane a couple points, that's exactly it, like from 93 to 93.3. That's not worth the bucks. That leaves a couple of choices for true octane boost- race fuel or rocket fuel. There are other things that can be added to gas to get a good bump in octane, like toluene or xylene. Use the search function for previous threads and there is info in Danno's website.

Quick Reply: Starting New Race Gas Religion