Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starting New Race Gas Religion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:29 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the tip Todd ...personally, I bought the "Race Only" octane booster from NOS and put it on my shelf only because it says "CONTAINS NITROMETHANE" lol... I mean, how cool is that?? Oh yeah, and it was at 1/3 retail, that helped too... but it will never see the fuel injectors or O2 sensors of any car I own!

-Kevin
Old 01-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Originally posted by toddk911

Silver bullet,

you can run 20% mix and still be completely safe. I run the Xylene/Toulene from Home Depot all the time. Usually Xylene as it is 118 octane.

Now is there a noticeable difference in power? How much octane would the gas be if I add 20% Xylene to a tank of 93 pump gas?

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:05 AM
GaryK
Racer

Here in the Denver area, there are several stations that carry unleaded race gas as well as normal premium. Very convenient since you can pump both the race gas and normal premium on the spot. I usually put 5 gallons of race gas per tank, which increases the octane by about 3 points. For track use, I run about a 50/50 mix. Here are some links to check for distributors in your area.

Sunoco race fuels

CPChem race fuels

I've used both Sunoco GT100 and CP's TT100. GT100, which is oxygenated and has a higher specific gravity than TT100, seems to work better in my car at this altitude.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Now is there a noticeable difference in power? "

No, power will be exactly the same as before. The increase in octane only allows you to turn up the boost another 2-3psi. That's where the increase in power comes from, the extra boost, not from the increase in octane.

"How much octane would the gas be if I add 20% Xylene to a tank of 93 pump gas?"

Use a weighted average. So 20% xylene would be 4-gallons in a 20-gal tank:

[(4*117)+(16*93)] / 20 = 97.8 octane

That's good for 18-22psi on the stock turbo. But you'd need to re-map the chips to add extra fuel to match the extra flow.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:54 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"That's good for 18-22psi on the stock turbo. But you'd need to re-map the chips to add extra fuel to match the extra flow."

I've been meaning to ask about that. So I guess, just because you have enough octane to protect against the pre ign., your a/f still have to be set for the increased boost??
Old 01-27-2004, 08:02 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a track car, high octane fuel is a viable solution for making high reliable horsepower. For a street car this really is second rate. Your only going to be able to run high boost levels if your never further than a half a tanks drive from your home (where your juice is). I guess you can bring a few smaller bottles along which which will slightly increase your range, but your whole life starts to evolve around where your race gas supply is. Bin there, done that. This is only marginally better than having to fill a nitrous bottle all the time. The only real solution is to have supplementary water/ methanol injection system. It's there all the time.

Murphy's Law: You just ran out of your "stuff" for your next fill up. Your then about to tangle with your hot date's favorite super car.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:36 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the shelf life of the race fuels?
For example:
If it takes me a year to use an entire 55gal. drum. Will the fuel start to go bad before I finish it off?

I checked the VP sight and didn't see any mention of this.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I can't seem to find a general pricing on these 55gal drums. Whats the range?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:59 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"The only real solution is to have supplementary water/ methanol injection system. It's there all the time. "

YEP!! Plus it is a double edged sword. You get the anti knock effects ( for safety and to run higher boost), plus the cooling of charge air which, unlike higher octane, actually does produce more hp AND can aid in higher boost.

Every 3 octane allows 2 more psi and for every 15-20 degree drop in intake temps, allows 1 more psi.

This is how you see such performance gains with water/methonal/alchahol systems.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:26 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I've got the Snow Performance Water injection system sitting in the closet, and I have the Link Engine management to control it, but the thing that has been keeping me from installing it so far is that it is going to be such a bitch to tune. Especially if you inject anything combustible, basically anything accept water, its like having an extra injector, and you have to scale fuel down on boost.

I'll eventually set it all up when I get some some other projects out of the way. I plan to inject straight Xylene, its probly still not 30% of the total fuel delivered, so you could have a gallon of that stuff in a seperate resevoir, and it would last a very long time.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:33 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Methanol injection is the best way to go in my opinion. I have a firend lance who build's the kit's if anyone is interested please pm me. His company is called aquameth solution's. Oh he can do some really trick stuff to just for indivdual application's. My injection doesn't even come on till 15psi of boost. From 15 to 20 psi of boost the single fogger system will mist.....if it has been activated via switch. The car will run in the summer time like it does in 38 degree winter. Since I live in texas( very humid 110+ degree summer's) this is a big deal. We have a local sunco dealer here in dallas too but, I swear the prices are just crazy...the injection is an all the time alternative to having to go and buy race gas and mix this and that ect.ect. If you guy's want I can post some pics of one of his kit's on a mustang...I posted them before but, I am sure alot of people never saw the pics.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:15 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I was curious to know if you could run straight methanol/xylen etc injection with out water as well. But with out water, yo uare only getting anti knco, not as much cooling efffect, as not much has a higher level of latent heat evaporation.

I was also planning on running a cooled charge once in a while. As a water/meth or alch mix would allow to cool the mix well below freezing Not sure how much difference it beeing super cooled would make.

Yes, I have heard that numerous times in regards to "with injection system it is like running your car in 30 degree temps even when it is 100 degrees.

I think water injections systems are one of the most underated performance enhancers around, all factors considered.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:59 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Some little bits of info:

Methanol will not mix very well with any kind of hydrocarbon (like Xylene).

Running water/methanol is a great thing (I have a system myself), but not to the degree that you might think.

On a 100 degree day your car will not run like its 35 outside. Cooling from the evaporation of water, or any evaporant for that matter, will only reach the dew point of water vapor. At this point there is an equilibrium that is reached between the evaporant (water, methanol, or any kind of fuel) and the condensing water vapour which releases heat back into the system.
So, you will never get really cold temps because condensation was reached way before that.
However, on really hot days its obvious that a greater chunk of temperature drop can be achieved because of the greater "stretch" to get down to the condensation point.

This is where the tuning comes in; total evaporation gives maximum power and absolute humidity is the factor that determines anti-knock capabilities. This is a balancing act.

Another thing: methanol will not adversely affect the overall richness of the mixture (which is a good thing).
Old 01-30-2004, 12:57 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

hmm... I will let you drive my car when its a 110 outside...without injection....and then turn it on....you tell me if the difference is night and day. The car run's like to does when it is much much cooler outside. As far as tunning go's I leave that to Dave Lindsey.

perhaps I should try and find those chart's I ran into a while back. Donnar car was a t-type....they added injection and measured the temp of the air with and without. It is kinda an old article but, I could try and find it somewhere. You can argue this point and that point.."injection doesnt help as much as you say it does" yada yada yada. My car run's like crap in 110 degree temps......with the injection it run's as if It were a cool night outside with a nice breeze blowing.

cheer's
Old 01-30-2004, 02:47 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

"As far as tunning goes I leave that to Dave Lindsey."

Is that Lindsey Racing? I didn't know they sold water injection kits.

Porshhhh, I already stated that injection works good on really hot days; you didn't have to repeat it again.
It just doesn't work as good as running your car on a cold day without water injection. Just like to put everything into perspective without too much exageration.

Quick Reply: Starting New Race Gas Religion