Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KYB vs. Bilstein Shock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB vs. Bilstein Shock?

KYB gas shocks run half of what Bilsteins go for.

Is this a case of 'get what you pay for', avoid KYB or are they just about as good.

I am a spirited street driver who will be attending DE, but mostly street, and definitely won't become an avid top-notch racer.

Or if there is another alternative that isn't too expensive, please tell me

Thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Look around, you'll notice NOONE on here has KYB - take the hint.

Sam
Old 01-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KYBs I have on some Jap cars are about the same as riding on a 600 lb spring. That is to say they suck, further, they dont last long.

Konis are pretty reasonable but then I think the Bilsteins are too.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:02 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

The KYBs are not just inexpensive, they are cheap too.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:14 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni shocks are valved stiffer (much stiffer) than the KYB.

The KYB is not a bad shock. In fact, KYB makes excellent shocks & dampers depending on the application. For Porsches they are not the best choice as you can get a much better OEM Boge or Sachs shock/strut for the same price.

The fact is that the KYB is simply valved much softer than a Koni.

If you want a stiff ride, get the Koni Yellow Sports shocks/struts.

If you want a "softer"/factory style ride I'd advise to use the factory Boge or Sachs shocks/struts.

The one thing you have to remember is that the Boge or Sachs you have on your car now are worn out and are NOT going to perform like a new Boge or Sachs.

So by simply replacing your factory equipment with "like" new items (Sachs or Boge) you will be getting the ride that the car had when new..... which is excellent for a street car.

The Koni's are not better. They are just valved different.

A lot of people on this list think that stiffer = better. It does not. Stiffer = different. Maybe that's what you want, maybe that's what you think you want, or maybe that's not really what you want. Only you can answer that question.

And if you want a stiffer ride, then you should consider the Bilstein shocks/struts. In my opinion, they blow Koni out of the water. But they are firm... real firm. And if that's what you desire, then they are worth taking a look at.

Personally, I do not like the valving of the Koni Yellow's (at least for the 951's). To harsh on rebound and not near enough valving on compression (especially on a car that has no where enough spring rate to begin with ala '86, '87, and non TurboS '88 cars). But that's just my opinion.

Opinions on shock valving is like opinions on what constitutes a good steak. Some people like it one way, and some like it another, etc...

TonyG
Old 01-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I bought my car with KYB's already on them. WAY too soft. The rear of my 951 almost touches the ground when I accelerate. I don't know if they're adjustable for stiffness, i'm going to have to check. I plan on getting Koni's for the rear.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:31 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Perception and ego come into play sometimes. I suspect that a set of KYBs painted yellow and with the correct decal applied would suddenly feel great! Not always, but at least some of the time. Or painted green and turned upside down. (Which would not work, I know, save the replies)

Stock spring rates? only occasional track use? On a budget (value counts more than ulitmate "stiff")? KYBs work fine. If the dollars aren't important to you but you still are oriented to the street and want a decent ride then try the Bilsteins or Koni orange. And, 'decent ride' is certainly a subjective thing related to the age and orientation of the observer.

Most all the 944 chassis series has relatively low spring rates. It can't all be made up properly with stiff shocks only.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:10 PM
superjet.1
Pro

kyb makes two grades of shocks gr2 weak and crapy then they make the hp gas very stiff and a awesome shock for the money i have them on my car the only problem is they are so high pressure they actually lifted the rear 1 inch. lifetime warranty also.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

John Brown, if the budget is a factor, I'd take Sachs/Boge over KYB any day.

Sam
Old 01-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Blueman33
Pro

TonyG writes
If you want a "softer"/factory style ride I'd advise to use the factory Boge or Sachs shocks/struts.

And if you want a stiffer ride, then you should consider the Bilstein shocks/struts. But they are firm... real firm
~~
I drive not only mostly street, but in a city where (besides freeways) the going is tough. I drive my sports car (951) in botchy old potholed bumpity streets where a Jeep (military issue) would be more appropriate. ; )

My current shocks squat. I must admit I have not driven another 951 nor anyone driven mine, so I'm not sure how much squat is expected. They do not dive on a hard stop.

So Tony, or anyone, can I get a 'softer' street ride WITHOUT squat or do they go hand in hand?

Will the 968 mo3o sway bars being installed help any with squat or just turning roll?

Also the kyb shock is adjustible. Are the Sachs and Boge adjustible? From your statement that Bilsteins are REAL firm, they may likely be too firm for my daily street driving.

Seems to make sense to have an adjustible shock that could run lighter on street, heavier on track, but the truth is i would likely adjust it one time and be done with it.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Blueman33

>>>My current shocks squat.<<<

Your shocks do not squat. The rear of your car squats. And that is because of your soft rear springs (rather torsion bars).

It's the spring rate in the back the allows or minimizes squat.

If squat if your issue, install larger torsion bars or dump the torsion bars and use coil over rear shocks with a 350lbs rear spring.

Sway bars will do nothing for squat.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Danno
Race Director

The KYBs are fine for stock spring rates and street driving. You can actually get a set of 4 for something like $160 (if you have early struts).

For stiffer springs and track use, Bilsteins & Konis are what you want to use.

It's not really and either/or choice, just selecting the proper shocks for the conditions.

Quick Reply: KYB vs. Bilstein Shock?