Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How many people here have engine's built by....???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 12:40 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

How are doing those 16V heads with no chain Chris? email me at brendancampion@***.net to keep the thread clean.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Another factor to consider with the JE Pistons. They have a history of cracking and breaking around the Pin boss area. Something to consider here, big bore Pistons should be running an offset pin to help with the thrust. I do not think this is typical with JE. As for the dome thickness, you can specify what this needs to be when ordering.

As for PD's history in building race engines. Well, there's several 962 water cooled engines out there, many 911 based ones, and a huge number of engines 944/911/993/996 race engines running with their machine work and parts in them. Many of the top builders use them for design and machine work. BTW, Neil has a lot of experience in inline 4 Cylinder Turbocharged engines producing over 1000BHP. We hopefully will get some of this experience in the new parts coming.

Yes, the 944 world does need more doers. The cream does settle at the top. It does not matter what service you do provide, but how and what you provide. You appear to have the same commitment to excellence. Its great for ALL of us. I thank you.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Since they were both mentioned at the beginning of the thread I thought you guys might find this interesting – SFR (Speed Force Racing) is moving in to Huntley’s old shop. Before you ask – no, they did not buy the business just Huntley’s old dyno and they are renting the shop. Sorry, they can’t help with the old Huntley orders.
Tim with a dyno is kind of a scary thought….I wonder what he will come up with now?

Chris White
Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With new companies now offering better parts and service, its not surprising this is happening. I can think of a couple more that could be next.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF Huntley's place is gone, then... what does this mean for Derrick? Anyone know? What's going on w/Anderson? Have people been happy w/Tim's work? I just got his 3" exhaust & it is NICE! GREAT WORK! went right on w/no hassles just like he said, etc... took a few weeks, but only b/c it was through the group-buy & I was about the last one on board... GLAD I got in though...
Old 01-21-2004, 02:48 AM
superjet.1
Pro

Tims doing great! I talk with him daily one of the last real knowlageble guys out there who is honest. I plan on doing lots of projects this year with him.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by superjet.1
Tims doing great! I talk with him daily one of the last real knowlageble guys out there who is honest. I plan on doing lots of projects this year with him.
I can confirm Tim's honesty, even though my engine build with SFR has not been as smooth as it should have been, Tim has stood by his work every step of the way and willing to do what it takes to make things right.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've never had any engine work done by Tim, but the parts he's made for me are top notch. He's busy enough you have to sometimes bug him about getting a quote or product shipped out but the minor hassle is well worth it.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:27 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Lindsey Racing built my 2.8 stroker. (shipped separately / at different times, the head i put on, but it came from them). it came well packed in a nice wood crate, and everything thus far has been extremely positive.

i had the head off @ 500mi to swap to a different one (nothign wrong engine wise but i broke an exhaust stud changing headers) and everythign looked new/mint. i haven't since run a compression test or taken anything apart, but when i took the car off the road last fall the engine was well broken in, had about 1000 miles (roughly. probably closer to 750 since i didn't make it back trom Toronto thanks to a ball-joint). I guess i'll know more shortly when it leaves the paint shop and gets the TEC3 *crosses fingers* but i'm not worried.

They were also great about staying in touch during the build process, sending me pictures of parts laid out, the partially installed bottom-end, the finished product, the crate, etc... and I felt the price was next-to-impossible to beat.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by Jeff Lamb
Please also make sure to add Neil Harvey at Performance Developments to your list. Tony Garcia and I are having PD do our engine work as are many other high performance 911 and 962 racers. Neil was kind enough to send me phone numbers of some of his 962, 911 and 951 customers. I was able to talk with a number of them and they all had very good things to say about Neil, his work and his background with Porsche Motorsports, TRD and an F1 team. I also made a personal visit to PD in August of 2003 and was impressed with what I saw and heard.

If you just want a standard engine assembled from readily available parts, you have many alternatives. However, if your engine project will involve some fairly high end machine work, Neil is one of the VERY FEW out there that I know of who has proven experience in this area.

My engine project is for a 951 track car to be running in PCA's GT3 class. I am using a 968 block with 16 valve head. It will be sleeved down to a 4.0 inch bore with nodular iron sleeves and possibly a deck plate will be installed. I will be running aftermarket aluminum pistons with custom rods. I am also dry sumping this engine and having to have a custom intake and exhaust fabricated.

I spent a long time considering my alternatives and I chose Neil at Performance Developments.

Jeff
Jeff, We've never met, but I once saw a motor that belonged to you that was "built" by someone else. It was at Garrity's shop -- to fix the builders' screw-ups. Whatever happened to that motor (not that I am interested)? Sounds like you went from one extreme to the other in terms of quality.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:16 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you do I would suggest going with one tuner to make sure everything works together. Powerhaus built my car and I've got one of the fastest ones around. Best thing is it's turn key. NEVER any tuning required. David of Powerhaus had the exact motor in his car and sold it with over 90,000 miles on it. Also completely streetl legal. It's in the May issue of Eurpean Car Magazine. Haven't seen it yet though. Powerhaus.com

Quick Reply: How many people here have engine's built by....???