Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

upgrades on a budget.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 02:27 PM
bronco951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrades on a budget.

ive been reading a lot lately trying to learn as much as i can and ive seen a million different set ups for the 951, all getting around the same horsepower. from what i understand, chip, wastegate, and upgraded turbo, boost controller are the most basic and will get you 300 rwhp. tehn come bigger injectors, maf, test pipe.
now ive seen people here running all kinds of different turbos, k26-k29, garrets, greddy, and a few others i havent heard of. then theres the chips, weltmiester, gururacing, and a couple others. with or with out a piggy back.
before i found rennlist, all i new of for places to get your 951 power increased was huntley racing and powerhaus. how good are these guys?
any recomendations on where to get the parts? also do most of you guys install this stuff yourself, or have it done? im a mechanic in teh military, and have access to anything i would need to install, if its a straight forward procedure im sure i could do it. but then i read how important fine tuning is to amke the most out of the mods. im assuming youll need to make dyno runs to get this right.
i live just south of boston, MA. do any of you guys know a good place around here that specializes in this type of thing, or are at least familiar with these cars?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I have a chip with reliboost in set at 15psi, there is a big difference in just that. That isn't that costly either at $300 from Guru. Next for me is a boost guage then wastegate. After that I am in the market for a turbo to really get that power. I am not looking for high numbers on the HP chart really but more in get that power/spool up sooner. If I could get about 320rwhp with turbo up to full 15psi (don't want to go higher) at 2,600-3k that would be more then I could EVER use unless I raced my car all the time.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:01 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: upgrades on a budget.

Originally posted by bronco951
any recomendations on where to get the parts? also do most of you guys install this stuff yourself, or have it done? im a mechanic in teh military, and have access to anything i would need to install, if its a straight forward procedure im sure i could do it. but then i read how important fine tuning is to amke the most out of the mods. im assuming youll need to make dyno runs to get this right. i live just south of boston, MA. do any of you guys know a good place around here that specializes in this type of thing, or are at least familiar with these cars?
Hi, first let me just say I am not a Rennlist guru so cannot answer all your questions in technical detail. You are off to a great start by asking a lot of serious questions. Since you are a mechanic my best advice for you to do all the work yourself. First of all you'll save many thousands of dollars. Second, being that it's your car you'll do a much better, more detailed work. You have the tools and the place to do it. Once you know how to work on a car the other's are just a variation in layout. Having said this I wouldn't concern myself as much to where to take my car to be worked on. Parts can be had from many places. We have several vendors on Rennlist who participate regularly with questions and answers regarding their products for your car. Some of the names for speed equipment and such would be Lindsey, GURU, SFR, Vitese. For general replacementparts I always check with Paragon first. But there are at least a dozen of other general parts vendors good to deal with. I prefer to spend a little more for reliable customer service so the lowest cost is not my highest priority when searching for a good deal. Then again keep your eyes peeled here because from time to time members post and sell their speed equipments here too. Why don't you tell us a little more about your car, post a pic maybe?, what are the things already done? What are your plans for your car?
Old 01-17-2004, 03:13 PM
bronco951
Advanced

well heres a pic.
its an 86 944 turbo. got 158k miles on it. was in an accident a few years ago. still having probs with the rear axle where it was hit. (ive psoted about it before here) assuming i can get that problem fixed, id like to gradualy increase the performance of it.
despite the problems with teh car, its still seems mechanically sound. starts and idols no prob, even in the rediculous cold we've had here lately. still has the original clutch, wich dosnt slip at all. engine is very responsive and revs to redline no prob. tranny shifts smoothly. im the 3rd owner of it. the 2nd has 2 other porsches and a mercedes as a daily driver. he only put 5k on it in 4 years. but aparently took good care of it. feels very powerful. ive had it up to 150 mph before and not even at redline yet. it accelerates hard, usualy breaking traction at the 1-2 upshift if im not careful. theres no mods on teh car, except a k&n cone filter, wich was installed before i bought it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2004, 03:19 PM
bronco951
Advanced

heres another pic, only other one i have on teh comp right now.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2004, 03:22 PM
bronco951
Advanced

Originally posted by Mike1982
I have a chip with reliboost in set at 15psi, there is a big difference in just that. That isn't that costly either at $300 from Guru. Next for me is a boost guage then wastegate. After that I am in the market for a turbo to really get that power. I am not looking for high numbers on the HP chart really but more in get that power/spool up sooner. If I could get about 320rwhp with turbo up to full 15psi (don't want to go higher) at 2,600-3k that would be more then I could EVER use unless I raced my car all the time.
i checked out there site. that is defiantely an apealing option right now. like i said id liek to make gradual improvements while in in college, tehn when i get out, reward myself with a nicely built 2.8-3.0 liter. but for right now that chip and reliaboost seems like an unbeatable deal.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bronco951,

You lucked out. South of Boston is home to one of the top 951 engine builders around - Scott Gomes of Under Pressure Performance in Fairhaven, MA. Scott has built some of the highest hp 951 engines out there and is a heck of a nice guy who has been around the Rennlist for quite some time. I would suggest going down and talking to him. Although Scott specializes in the high dollar engine builds, he would be able to steer you in the right direction. It’s a good idea to try to plan your mods so that they build on one another as much as possible.

EZRider was right on in his recommendation of Lindsey, GURU, SFR, Vitesse for performance mods and Paragon and Sunset Porsche are the best when it comes to maintenance repair parts.

If you are looking for just a simple chip upgrade then I would recommend Guru - I have Dan's chips and have been very happy with them. If you are looking for a bit more, then Vitesse has some very nice bolt on turbo/MAF packages for reasonable cash.

Also really check into what you have. If you can break the rear tires loose at your 1st-2nd shift change fairly easily on dry pavement then I would strongly suspect your car already has aftermarket chips.

As far as working on your own car - I would strongly suggest it since you are obviously mechanically inclined. Not only do you save a boatload of money, but also you ensure that things are done the right way.

Above all I would strongly suggest heading down to talk to Scott Gomes to pick his brain, and he would help you start of on the right track.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:36 PM
bronco951
Advanced

now thats the best news ive heard all day. i shall call him monday
Old 01-17-2004, 07:51 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Skip Wolfe
South of Boston is home to one of the top 951 engine builders around - Scott Gomes of Under Pressure Performance in Fairhaven, MA.

Lindsey, GURU, SFR, Vitesse for performance mods and Paragon and Sunset Porsche are the best when it comes to maintenance repair parts.
Now there's an idea I can use myself. MA is just an hour away from me. Been thinking about who I can entrust to rebuild/machine my short block to quality specs. Indeed I forgot about Sunset Porsche. Purchased from them the 968 front/rear sway bar kit with bushings with the caster upgrade at a great price. The Porsche dealership parts dept in my town happens to be very comptitive with prices and service. Do check out your local Porsche dealer parts and compare to see if they are a viable option.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:59 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bronco951
well heres a pic. feels very powerful. ive had it up to 150 mph before and not even at redline yet. it accelerates hard, usualy breaking traction at the 1-2 upshift if im not careful. theres no mods on teh car, except a k&n cone filter, wich was installed before i bought it.
Very nice, I love that color! Your car sounds really strong. Mine does not pull that hard All I got is Lindsey's boost enhancer. Holding off on all speed upgrades until the engine and drive train is properly reconditioned.

Quick Reply: upgrades on a budget.