Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Build Your Own Oil Cooler Lines - Ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I am sorry you "hate" the south, those of us who live in the south have the same feeling about Los Angles and those who come from there with their attitudes. You are close to Racers Edge (they specialize in 944s) and they will have every thing you require. Should have thought about the expense of buying a Porsche prior to buying it. Even though the car is 30 years old replacement parts are still expensive.
Trust me, I'm not a big fan of LA either! Well, that is until coming back here for an extended time. But LA is much better than here due to the standard of living or what's available outside your door. Restaurants, stores, things to do and see, travel in & out of the city, cost of air flights, etc. It's all better in LA! I've just grown tired of the racists and religious freaks here. And the crime! No wonder republicans are scared of everything! Nothing at all is better here. Cost of living is not cheap, restaurants aren't cheaper than LA. Ok, property is cheaper here in TN but not an issue for me as I ain't buying. There is just not enough good stuff here. It's always improving but still a long way to go. And when your interests lie in the niche world of Porsches or similar, good luck!
One aspect that is night and day better here in Nashville are the musicians. They are truly amazing here, and with all types of music from country (naturally) to jazz to rock to everything. And the support for them is fantastic as in sound and mixing and places to play. You will get spoiled here listening to music.

And to tell me that I should have thought of the expense of a Porsche before purchasing is a bit elitist, don't you think? I have four older cars and just prefer to do my own work as it's always cheaper, not usually that difficult, and great for the mind, not to say having lost faith in mechanics who made some drastic mistakes when working on my cars in LA. And to find a mechanic in TN who knows 951's....ha, ha, good luck! Plus I've been driving Porsches since before you probably knew what they were! I only drive Porsches and Alfas, everyday, all the time, whether in LA or across the country, in snow, rain, cold, stifling humidity, whatever...sports cars only.
And racer's edge is nowhere near me, whether I'm in LA or Nashville.
Oh, and when you say that you folks in the south have the same feelings about LA, the difference is that I have lived in both places (along with the north and midwest) while not many of you southern folk have. You just go off of TV or movies and what you've heard. Live in both and you will see, the truth shall set you free.

Ok, rant over.

Many thanks to mj951 above who mentioned BAT. I used them years ago when I redid my fuel lines and they were literally the ONLY place in the US with the proper metric fitting I needed. And now the story repeats itself. I had completely forgotten about them and they never pop up in any searches.

I managed to find a couple used hoses with the proper fittings on ebay for super cheap. Then it's just a matter of using Setrab M22mm x 1.5 to -AN12 adapters. These adapters cost around $10-20 each and thread directly into the OEM oil cooler once you remove the OEM M22mm - M26mm adapters. I decided to keep the OEM hardpipe and just come off the male 26mm. This calls for an M26mm fitting or adapter. The adapter is pricey at $37 but I found a better solution from BAT. They have a hose end -AN12 to female 26mm which eliminates the adapter at this connection. This runs around $25 and eliminates any additional adapter. So from the BAT FS2612 hose end I go to a 21" Startlite hose into a 90 degree -AN12 end, then the M22mm Setrab adapter into the rear filter housing port. For the other hose I'm going to use a straight -AN12 hose end direct from the M22 Setrab from the oil cooler, then to another 21" Startlite and finally to a 45 degree -AN12 hose end to another M22 Setrab into the front filter housing port.

The grand total: about $105! The other $400 will go nicely towards some new Michelin 4S or Super Sports, yay, free tires!

So that's my plan but I'll let you know once it's installed and working, ha ha as I know so much can still go wrong! My setup will still work with power steering but with modifications which I'm sorry to say I can not specify as I don't have the PS components. I suspect the 90 degree end that I deleted for a straight end might be to accomodate the steering but not sure.

Anyway, thanks so much for the help and sorry for hating on the south. My hating only makes the world better! Trust me; I've been hating on the south since moving here in 1976 and it is so so so so much better now! Just still a ways to go....LA too for that matter.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

You have proved in your rant what an insufferable, condescending snob you are.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know you can just get new hoses crimped on the old hose ends.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:51 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rlm328
You have proved in your rant what an insufferable, condescending snob you are.
Uh, you're the one who came into my thread, offering nothing at all in the way of help and then attacked my opinion and character. Sorry that I have opinions.

And I honestly meant you no ill will but to say a hick town in TN is better than a big city, any city, is ridiculous! And your comments about LA people having "attitudes" reminds me of a similar perception often heard when telling a group of people I'm into Porsches. It often comes up that someone will comment about how Porsche drivers are pr!cks to which my only answer is that when you're used to driving such a great car, you tend to get angry with slow drivers as our cars are so much better to drive....Same with a big city versus a small town, when you're used to so many options for every possibility, a handful just doesn't do it.

But no worries, just expressing my opinion and not meaning any harm. Happy driving!

Old 07-19-2018, 03:00 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulyy
You know you can just get new hoses crimped on the old hose ends.
You would think....Read my earlier posts. I grew tired of trying to find someone and figured I could build them myself. And that was the idea of this thread: to produce a DIY for others with all the needed materials because this info doesn't exist anywhere online, or anywhere I could find.
If you have a place that will do it, then that is the best way to go but if you want to do it yourself, it is a huge amount of effort trying to figure out the best adapters, fittings, sizes, hosing, etc. My goal is to give people a list & prices of what to use to complete this job. Obviously there are a couple different ways to accomplish this but I will try to give a decent inexpensive way and then people can always modify it to use SS hose or push lock or whatever.

More info (and ranting, no doubt) to come....

Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

2x -12 45 Degree hose end
2x -12 90 Degree hose end
4X -12 male to M22x1.5 male
1.5M -12 SS braided hose

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...a-logs-12.html
Post no. 468
Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Kjøp en Porsche, klag over dyre deler... Get at grip ( rant in Norwegian)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Chris White when I bought my wizard radiator/oil cooler combo built me a set of synthetic oil cool lines. I like them better than the steel ones due to the fact that steel lines are very abrasive if they rub on anything. I am putting a synthetic sleeve on my braided steel turbo filter line due to the fact it damages anything it rubs on. You can see both the synthetic oil cooler lines and braided steel in the pics of the thread. Something to think about for you.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ne-bay-10.html
Old 07-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
You would think....Read my earlier posts. I grew tired of trying to find someone and figured I could build them myself. And that was the idea of this thread: to produce a DIY for others with all the needed materials because this info doesn't exist anywhere online, or anywhere I could find.
If you have a place that will do it, then that is the best way to go but if you want to do it yourself, it is a huge amount of effort trying to figure out the best adapters, fittings, sizes, hosing, etc. My goal is to give people a list & prices of what to use to complete this job. Obviously there are a couple different ways to accomplish this but I will try to give a decent inexpensive way and then people can always modify it to use SS hose or push lock or whatever.

More info (and ranting, no doubt) to come....
In that case, read post #13 above, and fix the problem for about $15 and about half an hour fiddling...
Old 07-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

He's just complicating something that's not complicated.

Im not sure what's so difficult getting new hoses crimped on the old fittings. Any hydraulic place should be able to crimp them. If you cannot find a hydraulic place, then you're not looking hard enough.
I even see mobile vans that do hydraulic repair and 99% of these guys have crimpers in their vans.

Or what has already been said, hose clamps...

Quick Reply: Build Your Own Oil Cooler Lines - Ideas welcome