Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Build Your Own Oil Cooler Lines - Ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:21 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Build Your Own Oil Cooler Lines - Ideas welcome

Ok, tired of trying to find someone to rebuild my oil cooler lines and not going to spend $400 on a couple of hoses so I thought I would try to build my own. Of course, anyone who's ever dealt with hose fittings and adapters knows that there are many many ways to accomplish this, both in the choice of hoses as well as the fittings/adapters.

So, a couple of things I've learned and discovered so far:

1) The female thread into the oil filter housing on the engine for both hoses is 22mm. Porsche then uses an adapter to go from the 22mm to 26mm for the hose fittings and both hoses have 26mm female fittings, one straight, two 90 degree , and one 45.

2) Not sure what the original size into the oil cooler is. It also has an adapter which looks similar to the 22/26 and Porsche calls for the the same 22mm sealing ring so I'm assuming all direct connections into the oil cooler are 22mm straight. So this has me thinking to just get rid of the 22/26 adapters and go straight into the cooler and therefore using 22mm hose fittings with the exception of the upper oil cooler connection as that has the hardpipe from the cooler down around the radiator hose. I think it's easier to keep this hardline and the routing works better too.

3) I was set on SS braided hose but then I saw the socketless hose by Aeroquip. Does anyone have experience with this hose? It is a rubber hose that uses barbed fittings and no clamps so it seems much easier to build than the reuseable fittings of SS hose. I've built fuel lines for my car using SS and reuseable fittings and it is quite frustrating. Of course using a fitting with no clamp seems a bit iffy but if it works, it works and other companies offer similar hoses/fittings so I would assume this method is proven. And my OEM rubber hoses have lasted this long so I don't think SS is a must. But they sure are pretty!

4) Setrab and Mocal make many fittings/adapters and even some specifically for Porsche, both 22mm (which is standard Setrab sizing) and 26mm flared for Porsche hosing. With these it is easy to go to AN sizing. OEM hose size seems to be around AN12 but I think AN10 would work too as the ID diameter is still larger than the internal diameter of the 22mm adapters. Does anyone know which size is needed here?

Anyway, more to come, just seeing if anyone has done this and has any sage advice for me. I'm working through pages of info about AN fittings, adapters, hoses, etc. etc. but there is a light at the end of the tunnel .... Or at least nice cool oil!

The 22/26mm adapter

22/26 showing flared end for hoses.

lower hose

lower straight fitting

lower 90 degree fitting

upper hose

upper 90 degree fitting

upper 45 degree fitting

hardline from cooler

22/26mm adapter on cooler

oil filter housing showing cooler line connections. one has 22/26 adapter and other connection is the furthest on the right with 22/26 removed.

Ok, tired of trying to find someone to rebuild my oil cooler lines and not going to spend $400 on a couple of hoses so I thought I would try to build my own. Of course, anyone who's ever dealt with hose fittings and adapters knows that there are many many ways to accomplish this, both in the choice of hoses as well as the fittings/adapters.

So, a couple of things I've learned and discovered so far:

1) The female thread into the oil filter housing on the engine for both hoses is 22mm. Porsche then uses an adapter to go from the 22mm to 26mm for the hose fittings and both hoses have 26mm female fittings, one straight, two 90 degree, and one 45.

2) Not sure what the original size into the oil cooler is. It also has an adapter which looks similar to the 22/26 and Porsche calls for the the same 22mm sealing ring so I'm assuming all direct connections into the oil cooler are 22mm straight. So this has me thinking to just get rid of the 22/26 adapters and go straight into the cooler and therefore using 22mm hose fittings with the exception of the upper oil cooler connection as that has the hardpipe from the cooler down around the radiator hose. I think it's easier to keep this hardline and the routing works better too.

3) I was set on SS braided hose but then I saw the socketless hose by Aeroquip. Does anyone have experience with this hose? It is a rubber hose that uses barbed fittings and no clamps so it seems much easier to build than the reuseable fittings of SS hose. I've built fuel lines for my car using SS and reuseable fittings and it is quite frustrating. Of course using a fitting with no clamp seems a bit iffy but if it works, it works and other companies offer similar hoses/fittings so I would assume this method is proven. And my OEM rubber hoses have lasted this long so I don't think SS is a must. But they sure are pretty!

4) Setrab and Mocal make many fittings/adapters and even some specifically for Porsche, both 22mm (which is standard Setrab sizing) and 26mm flared for Porsche hosing. With these it is easy to go to AN sizing. OEM hose size seems to be around AN12 but I think AN10 would work too as the ID diameter is still larger than the internal diameter of the 22mm adapters. Does anyone know which size is needed here?

Anyway, more to come, just seeing if anyone has done this and has any sage advice for me. I'm working through pages of info about AN fittings, adapters, hoses, etc. etc. but there is a light at the end of the tunnel....Or at least nice cool oil!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

female thread on both engine and cooler is M22x1.5, the adapters at both ends are M22->M26 male male

i have push-lok "socketless" fuel lines but my oil lines are crimped. pushlok is good for a lot of pressure but i like the security of a crimp.
SS hose is a major PITA, BTDT, happier with rubber.

you know, you could send your oil hoses to me and i could get them re-done locally (warehouse country, hydraulic places every other block) for you.
maybe i could send the AFM nub back with them
Old 07-12-2018, 07:38 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info and offer but I should be able to figure this out. Plus, I like the effort of doing it myself.
I also would prefer a crimped end but at this point I've resigned to going with either the rubber/socketless or the SS/reusable. Any thoughts on these options? I suppose either would work fine.
Oh, what size hose did you use?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would think that where there is a big rig tractor trailer repair shop you’ll find someone who can make hydraulic crimps end hoses.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I would think that where there is a big rig tractor trailer repair shop you’ll find someone who can make hydraulic crimps end hoses.
Oh, they will but they want $300.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket

maybe i could send the AFM nub back with them
Oh, yeah, any luck? I found that most European cars with Bosch FI from the 80's have what looks like the same stop bracket. So I figured I'd go to the local pick a part, easy peasy, right? Nope, literally no 80's euro cars in Nashville! God, I hate the south! But in disbelief I thought to back when I was driving Sciroccos in high school and I was the only one for miles and miles. Nothing here except pick ups and muscle cars! Horrible....
But I figure one has to show up, right?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

it's weird.
the screw heads were stripped so i started to drill the heads off.
but i'll be damned if not a single one of my drill bits around the 1/4" diameter range (+/-) has been able to go all the way through...what are these screws made of

i'm actively trying to move to Nashville region, so i guess its a good thing i don't need any more parts
Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
it's weird.
the screw heads were stripped so i started to drill the heads off.
but i'll be damned if not a single one of my drill bits around the 1/4" diameter range (+/-) has been able to go all the way through...what are these screws made of

i'm actively trying to move to Nashville region, so i guess its a good thing i don't need any more parts

You're moving here? It's a strange place! And I'm not a big fan of Los Angeles but this place makes me miss LA. A whole lot of dumb people here pretending to be nice....No, thanks, give me a good ole NY "**** off" instead. One thing though: they do drive fast here! It's the ONLY thing they do fast but if you have to pick one thing, i suppose driving is the one to chose. I'm about 20 miles out of nashville but that is way too far in my mind. Move to the city or don't bother being here. Oh, and the crime is insane here: at least one murder/shooting every single night. Yesterday was a shoot out between two SUV's with 2 shot and 2 escaping. LA seems incredibly safe compared to here. It's no wonder all the rednecks are carrying guns and scared of everything. And don't get me started on the Trump supporters and right wing nutjobs campaigning on TV. They actually express their support for Trump here to win votes! Scary and feels like a different country compared to CA. Get me back to CA....Or better yet, to Europe. Ok, rant over.

But now back to important Porsche stuff. Do you remember what AN size hose you used? I was going to use AN10 but now I find the one adapter I need off of the oil cooler hardline is only available in a 26mm to AN12.

Also, my car is a manual steering conversion so that frees up lots of room for the oil cooler hoses. That way I can lose one of the 90 degree fittings off of the oil cooler and possibly the 45 on the filter housing for simpler and much cheaper straight end fittings. The main expense with these lines is the fitting at the ends. $5-10 for a straight fitting versus $15-50 for a 45 or 90.

And the choice of fittings, adapters, and hose is mindboggling! This seems fairly simple and then, whoa, what have i gotten myself into?

Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

I went through this many years ago when installing dual oil coolers. Sourced parts from BAT http://www.batinc.net/main.htm
This fall i'm planning to drain the coolers and re-due the lines. I used SS lines with push-on AN fittings and added a hose clamp. I would like to loose the hose clamps and thought about building fittings using the two piece AN style, I also used those on my fuel lines and found them to be a pain. Might try a CV boot crimp style clamp to at least reduce the size of the clamp but still undecided.
Good luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

"AN" is a waste of money, shop for "JIC" instead.
same exact fittings, just made of steel instead of aluminum and 1/3 the cost.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superloaf
And don't get me started on the Trump supporters and right wing nutjobs campaigning on TV. They actually express their support for Trump here to win votes! Scary and feels like a different country compared to CA.
...sounds like the place for me then...
Nashville is the only "target" city, but im really looking for something in the midwest or inland south. tons of land, cheap cost of living, easier pace of life.

i lived in LA for 3 years and now in a suburb...there is no appeal to living here (CA) other than the weather and mexican food.
cost of living is insane, traffic is unbearable, taxes are crazy but the state is still broke, state politics are nucking futs.
can't wait to leave.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:11 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Move to TX... lower taxes, no stupid legislation for older cars, and faster speed limits. Cheap cost of living too. Traffic isn't bad except for major cities.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You asked for ideas:

I simply discarded the second hardline hose to the oil cooler, and slightly re-routed the upper hose to the cooler, with no ill effects so far after a year. The rubber OEM lines can be replaced inexpensively with appropriate good quality hose from NAPA or any similar source, if you use a Dremel tool with fiber reinforced ceramic disk, and carefully cut the ferrule longitudinally along one of its ridges on opposite sides. Cut on the ridges so as to avoid nicking the barbed inner metal tube, then remove the old ferrule and rubber hose. Install new hose in its place, of appropriate length, and secure with double stainless hose clamps of the non-cheese grater type.

In other words, recycle your old end fittings with their barbed inner pipe sections intact, attaching ~$15 worth of good quality (Gates or similar) oil- and pressure-suitable reinforced rubber.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:57 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ml#post8626127
Old 07-15-2018, 01:11 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf

Oh, yeah, any luck? I found that most European cars with Bosch FI from the 80's have what looks like the same stop bracket. So I figured I'd go to the local pick a part, easy peasy, right? Nope, literally no 80's euro cars in Nashville! God, I hate the south! But in disbelief I thought to back when I was driving Sciroccos in high school and I was the only one for miles and miles. Nothing here except pick ups and muscle cars! Horrible....
But I figure one has to show up, right?
I am sorry you "hate" the south, those of us who live in the south have the same feeling about Los Angles and those who come from there with their attitudes. You are close to Racers Edge (they specialize in 944s) and they will have every thing you require. Should have thought about the expense of buying a Porsche prior to buying it. Even though the car is 30 years old replacement parts are still expensive.

Quick Reply: Build Your Own Oil Cooler Lines - Ideas welcome