Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rough Life Wilson - Thread con't

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Yes Paulyy, Lots I shoulda woulda coulda... Expect a bit of a "re-do" in a couple of years.
-------------------------------------------------------
In the meanwhile, enjoy this video of one of my all time favourite cars!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:06 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

"Mucho Gracias Amigo for speaking on my thread, I appreciate it. You come with a lot of authority on the subject, because of the lot of us, you are one of the very FEW who successful boosted your n/a. And it was a NICE well constructed build! It was a shame to read of the car's demise."

It was really fun while it lasted, sadly I don't consider it successful.

I really enjoy your posts. You chronicle things quite well and I love the honesty about your feelings. Doing projects like this kick your *** up and down. There are both super highs and super lows.
Hopefully you get things sorted and if you ever have any questions feel free to ask, I'll help anyway I can.
And don't let anybody tell you " You should have just bought a turbo" because it's no easier. You are learning boatloads about your car and yourself, try to enjoy it.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:08 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
I'm sorry to hear it about the 951... would be very interested in hearing more of your experience and thoughts on this new car.
After all the energy spent on the car, I cant seem to sit down and write about it. Maybe one day when/if I finish this car but I don't see that happening for years.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Thanks buddy. I hope everything works out great for you in the end
Okay, last night I confirmed my suspicions that Wilson, being a "lowered" street car has no room for exhaust that deviates from the centreline (like oem).
----------------
Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Running single exhaust cat and single muffler
Old 06-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Made the external waste gate atmosphere exit pipe. Going to weld a tab on the pipe then mount to the engine block to help support the manifold (I'm worried about the log style manifold breaking because it's made from very thin exhaust pipe.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:32 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

EHHHHH!!!! I can't wait to drive my car. I'm going love Wilson so much

So yesterday I painted the exhaust and then mounted it tonight. Notice the wastegate is now mounted to the block and also mounted to the 2.5" post-down-pipe section. This serves to support the downpipe but also supports the wastegate exhaust (which will inturn support the exhaust manifold "log"). I realized tonight that there is a type of triangulation that is occurring with my the exhaust wrapping around both sides of the engine but also the front and the back! This feels strong. I sure hope it all holds up to the heavy abuse I plan on putting this car through.

Oh, also the instrument pod came in the mail. Woohoo!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Gathered my 4 new intake gaskets. Painted bolt heads because daily driver with lots of hood vents, don't want to rust from rain and such.

Separated the 951 intake manifold from the Ford V8 throttle body and rather than use sealant I opted to make paper gaskets.

FiveOMotorsports matched set 16 ohm resistance, 62cc (?) injectors designed for 3.0 bar regulator. Check

But what surprised me was these plastic rings that were on the lower side of the rubber o-ring, like towards the engine on the business end of the injector. I took them off, and man were they tight. 2 went flying off in my shop. And then I started to second guess myself... so I sent the question in to FiveO.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:41 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Kirk from the injection place said the lower "o-ring retainers" are designed to be used. I found internets describes them as gen 3 Bosch injectors components that are meant to keep pressure on the upper O-rings. Keiith said I would be okay to run without them, but I didn't want to risk a fire, for found the missing 2 and now they are firmly clamped in place along with the 3.0 regulator and ign wires & injection harness. Also, I'm so happy I was able to mount the intake manifold without using the spacers I made.... this is better than with spacers... they were a patch job.

Also a sneek peek into the future. Might not be so pretty but Wilson is a high performer. Next to steering and brakes, visibility ranks very high in my books and everyone knows LEDS work really well.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:18 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Is there anything sexier than FLYING TARMAC RALLY WEDGE CARS? Hmmm, maybe. Maybe not.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Many people say "you silly wabbit, driving a rollaged car on the street". Okay, you are correct, there are risks.
But, there are risks with only a rollbar also.

Below. Started wiring. Going to put a fuse in between most points of contact between chassis & ECU just in case one is ground and one is power. Michael, if you are reading this, the diagram you sent me (with the red and black wire, possibly pin 7 is labelled "ign switch", is this for the starter solenoid? or just a "switch 12v source") … The term "ignition" can be confusing because it has so many applications. Thanks.

Got my Russian Radar Detector! ...came with China Postage. Weird.

Great video. Petrolicious is the BEST!

Last edited by Noahs944; 07-01-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Okay, today I installed this sump level switch. Could find anything to replace the float that I broke, so maybe a ziptie will keep the light off.

Used a tube bender to severely modify my dipstick tube.

Heres my turbo drain to sump bung. Sump bung is very high on the oil pan, I hope this helps eliminate some of the oil troubles associated with the 951.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

the 951 oil drain is below the oil level to sort of insulate the draining oil from crankcase pressure.
the 928 guys have a whole nother level of oil problems, the theory is that crank pressure sort of fights the oil draining down from the heads and backs it up the return chutes.
if you look at newer stuff like the 5.0 Coyote they actually built "vapor chimneys" on the valley side to let crank pressure go to the heads and equalize pressure for better draining/PCV function.
plenty of cars drain to valve covers though so it must "work".
Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Spencer, its been too long brother. Hope you are well. Terribly sorry to hear about your engine problems. Are you just fixing it or going "full bore" on the SC?
Old 06-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

OEM dipstick wouldn't slid through the modded tube, so brazed an aircraft cable to 6" of oem stick. WORKS AWESOME.

Below. Serious Question:
Does filling the central tube at oil filter head drip down to the oil pump? I hope so! I want to prime the oil pump. I filled the tube until it overflowed. It took maybe 1/4 litre of oil.

Quick Reply: Rough Life Wilson - Thread con't