Steering feels off

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:38 AM
dsulliv6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering feels off

Hello - new 951 owner here. ('86 Turbo)

Steering of my 32 year old Porsche feels a bit loose/not accurate or precise. I'm guessing steering rack bushings are worn out? 58k miles...but it's a 32 year old car. The rubber bits are going to wear out. Any other 944 Turbo steering issues with the rack out there? I want to get this beast dialed in over the summer. It's in wonderful condition, but feels like the suspension (which hasn't been touched) and steering are in need of some TLC.

It also feels like the original Koni's are due for a replacement, although the car rides pretty well outside of freeway expansion joints. Anyone replace with Bilstein dampers?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you running stock size tires? I have run 17" wheels and tires and stock sized wheels and tires and with the 17s my car always felt "vague" and wandered a bit. With the stock 16" tires it feels great.

The U-joints in the steering shaft that runs from the column to the rack wear out and can cause some vagueness. The steering rack bushings can wear, although that is not a common issue. I replaced mine a long time ago to get rid of a similar issue and it did absolutely nothing for feel. The steering shaft mentioned above helped a tremendous amount however.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:46 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Although you don't mention your mileage, you should also check the control arm ball joints and the tie rod ends besides the steering parts.
And a visual inspection of all the other front end suspension and steering parts is good.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

climb underneath and look at the 4 bolts that secure the steering rack to the crossmember...they are known to shear off inexplicably (usually just 1 though!) but that can make the steering feel weird.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 PM
dsulliv6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All- thanks so much for the quick responses! I will have a look-see under the car this weekend. Just pointing me in the right direction was invaluable. Much appreciated, gents!

Quick Reply: Steering feels off