Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone paint their phone dials with Wurth Silver Wheel Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 PM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone paint their phone dials with Wurth Silver Wheel Paint?

When I bought my 951 the guy gave me an extra set of phone dial wheels for it. Currently it has all four 8" wheels on the car. I didn't even know the 8" wheels would fit on the front.

I'd like to go back to the original staggered (7" in front and 8" in back) but when I went to put one of the 7" wheels on, it looked like the paint color was different than the 8" wheels. I'll try to get some pics posted later, but the 7" look to have a factory finish and the 8" seem like they were maybe painted. They are lighter colored, more satin looking, and more silvery than the 7" which are more grey and shiney.

I asked the previous owner about it and he didn't recall painting any wheels. I think I did see a receipt while thumbing through the stack of receipts that said one wheel was straightened. Wondering if it might have been done then?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Wurth Silver Wheel paint on their phone dial wheels? I am wondering if what was used on the 8"ers might have been that stuff?

If you have painted your wheels with Wurth or with any other type of silver paint, could you please post some pix of them?

Thanks - Paul
Old 05-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I painted the center caps with Wurth silver wheel paint. It was pretty much spot on in terms of color. My only reservation about doing a wheel with any spray (non-catalyzed) paint is that is wouldn't be chemical resistant to brake cleaner and the like.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:00 PM
notny41
Instructor

Ok, I took some pix in the garage with one of the wheels up next to the car and they really weren't very telling.

But I took one of the center caps off the wheels on the car and put it inside the wheel and it is a much better indicator of the difference in color.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:11 PM
notny41
Instructor

Is it possible these might be 1987 wheels and they may be a different color than 1986?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:44 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Not phone dials but I painted a set of aftermarket Cup I's with Wurth products.

Used Self Etch Primer, European Blend Silver Wheel Paint and European Blend Clear Gloss Lacquer.
It took quite a few cans of each to complete the job. I refinished them without tires on, painted the entire wheel.
I don't have a picture of them with the center caps on but can probably post one tomorrow, cars not on the road yet.

As I understand Wurth silver wheel paint is what Audi, Porsche and BMW use.
I don't think that color has changed over the years but others may correct me on that.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why go back to staggered?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 PM
notny41
Instructor

I don't know - it's just kind of a thing I have with getting the car as close to correct as possible. In fact, I looked up the option codes and mine is supposed to have Fuchs instead of phone dials, but I personally like the phone dials better on the car. Not that I really have a choice in that matter. But if I had the original Fuchs, I'd probably put them on rather than the phone dials - again, just because I like things as the were originally...
Old 05-26-2018, 06:17 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Pics with center caps.
The paint has more depth and metallic finish with the flakes suspended in the paint but is a good color match to plastic center caps.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, turned out pretty good. I sanded them smooth and fixed some imperfections first.

Then did three coats of Wurths, lightly sanding in between each (because it was looking rough, but I think the paint is supposed to do that).

Then three coats of clear.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:00 AM
notny41
Instructor

Yeah they look good - what kind of clear did you use?

Quick Reply: Anyone paint their phone dials with Wurth Silver Wheel Paint?