Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME destroyed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018 | 10:06 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 132 Posts

I didn't have the opportunity to get at it today, and I am glad. Reading these posts tonight, I've got a sense of procedure and basics to look at. Thank you.

My next opportunity to devot good time will start Friday. As so many search for Easter eggs this weekend, I, too, will be searching for something, posting as I go along.

This conversation actually makes this a somewhat pleasent journey

As for fuel, I have confirmed fuel flow and seen fuel in a cylinder [EDIT: turns out I don't think I saw fuel in a cylinder but rather anti-seize residue on the threads]; I haven't confirmed fuel pressure nor observed operation of injectors during starting. I plan to invest in this noid light by Friday. Note that I have confirmed voltage at the fuel injectors as per Test Plan.

I didn't see any procedure for 'jumping the KLR' in the Test Plan I'm referencing; thanks for that info.

I will be trying any and all suggestions posted thus far. At least I am learning far more than I ever imagined! Thank you for staying tuned!

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 03-31-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2018 | 10:24 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
the trigger isn't working and the time divisions are too long to really see the wave form.
I was wondering why my trigger isn't showing the repetative signal in the middle like the other guy's; I thought mine just mutes the display until a signal shows (but time keeps moving)

The S100 output going to the 8051 interrupt pins are easier to watch on the scope (simple 0 or 5v square pulse trains) so maybe that would be an easier way for you to see if both sensor signals are working.
I am so tempted to try this! But... I have to agree I should put the scope away for now and go back to basics. Why is the scope drawing me so? lol

And are you 100% sure you didn't mix up the speed and ref sensor connectors?
Tom, I am not even close to sure about anything any more . Will check on this as well!
Old 03-28-2018 | 10:53 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic

I didn't see any procedure for 'jumping the KLR' in the Test Plan I'm referencing; thanks for that info.
Look at post #25 above.
Old 03-28-2018 | 11:11 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast951
Look at post #25 above.
Oh yeah.. thanks for the reminder! Btw.. the light goes between which terminals on the coil--the outer two, correct? I think this is the first thing I will try Friday... then the KLR jumper.

[Edit: my apologies; just read post #32 making clear where to connect]

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 03-29-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-28-2018 | 11:19 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
By the way, does your boost gauge show 1 when the ignition is on and the motor not running?
Ok, I couldn't go to sleep tonight without at least checking this.. and yes, it does

Also, I double-checked the sensor connections; Even though by the labels they are correct, I reversed them and tried to start... same. Now, I am 99.99999% sure they are correct.

Crazy Dan cranking the car before bedtime...

PS.. I don't hear the injectors, do you? (I put fuse #34 back in for this one)

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 03-28-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-29-2018 | 06:12 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I don’t have much to offer in terms of technical help, but I can feel your pain on this. And your taking it like a champ actually. The people on this thread are really putting together some great theories and I’m sure y’all will figure this out. I’ve learned a ton about the computer system of our car just by reading though this. Hang in there, you’re gonna sort this out. 👍🏼
Ps. I think I read that you checked the DME relay correct? And the actual connections from the fuse box to the fuel pump? But my money is on those speed/reference sensors. Something up with them.
Old 03-29-2018 | 10:52 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
Well, I don’t have much to offer in terms of technical help, but I can feel your pain on this. And your taking it like a champ actually.
Thanks.. Glad to do my part in contributing to the knowledge base lol

I did check the DME relay via procedure I found online; but I checked the actual relay only. I did not try any jumper or paperclip method and crank the car in the absence of the relay. I am now planning on doing that tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2018 | 11:31 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

...I did not try any jumper or paperclip method and crank the car in the absence of the relay. I am now planning on doing that tomorrow.
After 83 posts and diagnosis using multimeters and oscilloscopes, am I the only one that hopes the jumper doesn’t fix everything
Old 03-29-2018 | 12:24 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Not the only one

You won't believe this.. but.. I'm a little.. hesitant.

Ok, afraid.

What are the chances of blowing something doing this? Which method is safer, bare wires into the slots or paperclip wound on relay?

I understand that the fuel pump runs immediately non-stop. Something about handling bare power (esp at the fusebox) is uncomfortable.

And I once connected a line into a live breaker box... go figure. Guess I value the car more than the house
Old 03-29-2018 | 02:08 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not the only one

You won't believe this.. but.. I'm a little.. hesitant.

Ok, afraid.

What are the chances of blowing something doing this? Which method is safer, bare wires into the slots or paperclip wound on relay?

I understand that the fuel pump runs immediately non-stop. Something about handling bare power (esp at the fusebox) is uncomfortable.

And I once connected a line into a live breaker box... go figure. Guess I value the car more than the house
Since you are getting fuel, why bother with testing the relay. The relay powers the DME, which in turn powers the Fuel pump (via DME relay). With the presence of fuel, your DME relay is fine. And the fuel side of your DME seems to be working. Which also tells me the Ref/Sync are giving the DME a signal. Of course, all of this under the assumption you are getting fuel at the injectors.

Try bypassing the KLR. Paper clip or a wire will be fine.. As long as you are careful.
Old 03-29-2018 | 02:35 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Since you are getting fuel, why bother with testing the relay [...] all of this under the assumption you are getting fuel at the injectors.
Well, this is it: I remember testing for fuel by removing the return line, but, unbelievably, I can't recall if I had the DME relay in and cranked or if I--odd as this may sound now--jumpered two slots to activate the fuel pump briefly.

At one point, I swore I saw and smelled fuel in a hole from a removed spark plug; but the other night, when I removed one again, all I noticed was shiny residue from anti-seize and no smell on the plug.

It isn't easy for a first-timer at all this diagnosing to be carrying this over a period of days or weeks

There's been so much going on, I'm forgetting what the heck I've done and haven't done. I definitely did everything I could with a voltmeter and the offical DME/KLR Test Plan, including some voltage checks at the injectors. But, I know for sure I haven't confirmed the injectors actually firing during starting with a noid light or LED.

Tonight, I'm stopping by a parts store to see about getting a noid light. I've noticed online that they come for different car makes; most kits have a "Bosch PFI". I'm assuming this is the one I need?

I re-read post #32; I should go back and re-read this entire thread nightly!

I feel like I need to start over.. with the basics. Perhaps make a simple checklist for tomorrow
Old 03-29-2018 | 03:44 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, this is it: I remember testing for fuel by removing the return line, but, unbelievably, I can't recall if I had the DME relay in and cranked or if I--odd as this may sound now--jumpered two slots to activate the fuel pump briefly.

At one point, I swore I saw and smelled fuel in a hole from a removed spark plug; but the other night, when I removed one again, all I noticed was shiny residue from anti-seize and no smell on the plug.

It isn't easy for a first-timer at all this diagnosing to be carrying this over a period of days or weeks

There's been so much going on, I'm forgetting what the heck I've done and haven't done. I definitely did everything I could with a voltmeter and the offical DME/KLR Test Plan, including some voltage checks at the injectors. But, I know for sure I haven't confirmed the injectors actually firing during starting with a noid light or LED.

Tonight, I'm stopping by a parts store to see about getting a noid light. I've noticed online that they come for different car makes; most kits have a "Bosch PFI". I'm assuming this is the one I need?

I re-read post #32; I should go back and re-read this entire thread nightly!

I feel like I need to start over.. with the basics. Perhaps make a simple checklist for tomorrow
Starting fresh makes sense. I hope you already removed the fuse for the Fuel pump, before all the speed/Ref tests. If the injectors are firing, you could fill up the cylinders with fuel. Removing the fuse keeps the fuel out of the equation while checking the injectors and ignition.

- remove fuse for pump
- make sure you are getting 12V at DME
- check injectors pulse with LED or noid light.
- check ignition pulses at coil with LED (black is + green in -)

Report what you find so we can advise.
Old 03-29-2018 | 07:25 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Starting fresh makes sense. I hope you already removed the fuse for the Fuel pump, before all the speed/Ref tests. If the injectors are firing, you could fill up the cylinders with fuel. Removing the fuse keeps the fuel out of the equation while checking the injectors and ignition.

- remove fuse for pump
- make sure you are getting 12V at DME
- check injectors pulse with LED or noid light.
- check ignition pulses at coil with LED (black is + green in -)

Report what you find so we can advise.
Thank you. I will start with this very list tomorrow morning.

Yes, I have had the fuel pump fuse mostly disconnected, only occasionally connecting it back in anticipation of a possible start.

So, not much at all
Old 03-29-2018 | 09:27 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Please verify the correct polarity for the signal from the speed and reference signals. My car had the wiring from the sensors replaced, and the sensor connector pins were loose in the connector (the connector had disintegrated, leaving just the spades crimped to the wires). Bottom line the owner reversed the reference signal conductors, so when i put new sensors the ref sensor wiring was reversed. A no start condition. Need to look at the DME connector and verify phase signal of the ref sensor. Procedure well defined in the test steps from the service manual. Need an Oscope for this test.
Old 03-30-2018 | 10:32 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Alan 91 thanks... interesting. How do you check this polarity?

Quick Reply: DME destroyed?