Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME destroyed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
What exactly were you testing? Despite photo quality rivaling most UFO films, Bigfoot sightings, and alien bodies collected in the 50's, I can't quite make out which pins your leads are connected to, and am curious if the speed/ref connectors are connected or disconnected under the hood?
I put test leads into pins 25 & 26 (ref sensor) then did the same with 8 & 27 (speed). All connected under the hood.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I just pulled out a spare sensor and it measures almost exactly 1000 ohms across the two primary signals (just like Clarks says it should). I also tried all combos of the grounding shield, casing and signals to see if something is close to what you are seeing and couldn't get anything like that. Seems unlikely you'd have two identically bad sensors (unless you bought the wrong ones?)
I bought the FAE ones. I will check Clark's routine again, but I do recall going over his material initially and being satisfied with what I got.

Glad you like my filming and photography skills
Old 03-27-2018, 10:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I put test leads into pins 25 & 26 (ref sensor) then did the same with 8 & 27 (speed). All connected under the hood.
Ah, sorry, I get it. Those actually look ok then -- it's telling you the sensors have about 780 ohms, which is about right. The lack of tach bounce and your inability to get a ref pulse on the scope (despite getting it on the speed sensor) still would make me look at that sensor closely.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Ah, sorry, I get it. Those actually look ok then -- it's telling you the sensors have about 780 ohms, which is about right. The lack of tach bounce and your inability to get a ref pulse on the scope (despite getting it on the speed sensor) still would make me look at that sensor closely.
Is it possible that I've knocked out that stud the ref sensor reads? I did have some trouble fitting the bellhousing... actually, I remember stupidly trying to force it on while the bracket was installed; I gapped sensors with a feeler gauge, removed them, then totally forgot about the aluminum shield. After much trying (and at one point even rotating the motor a bit to see if anything was catching), I realized what I forgot, removed the bracket, and fitted the bellhousing.

OMG... could I have damaged the little stud?? Just say "no way". Please....
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

your inability to get a ref pulse on the scope
And.. you are certain this attempt, the .5s 1v with trigger, doesn't show a pulse? To me, it looks like it pulses about 12 times across the screen--over 8 horizontal divisions until I stop:

Let me try my math again... if each division is .5s, that means the dot covers 4 seconds. At 200rpm, and 1 pulse per revolution, that is (I think) 200 pulses per minute or 3.3 pulses per second (200 divided by 60). Over 4 seconds, that should be about 13 pulses (if 200rpm). So, if I count 12, that's about right, no?

Or.. are you saying in that particular video, those aren't actually pulses?
Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

We have a clutch switch?

(image is from post #25 on the following thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...i-fried-2.html )
Old 03-28-2018, 12:49 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, it temporarily disconnects the cruise control while shifting so the engine doesn't over rev while in neutral.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Got it. I don't have cruise & don't recall seeing any switches by the pedal; for a brief moment, I thought my no start was because I haven't been pushing the clutch pedal
Old 03-28-2018, 01:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
And.. you are certain this attempt, the .5s 1v with trigger, doesn't show a pulse? To me, it looks like it pulses about 12 times across the screen--over 8 horizontal divisions until I stop:

Let me try my math again... if each division is .5s, that means the dot covers 4 seconds. At 200rpm, and 1 pulse per revolution, that is (I think) 200 pulses per minute or 3.3 pulses per second (200 divided by 60). Over 4 seconds, that should be about 13 pulses (if 200rpm). So, if I count 12, that's about right, no?

Or.. are you saying in that particular video, those aren't actually pulses?
No not certain at all. It's possible, somethings happening there, but the trigger isn't working and the time divisions are too long to really see the wave form. But I agree that video suggests something is happening around the right time. The S100 output going to the 8051 interrupt pins are easier to watch on the scope (simple 0 or 5v square pulse trains) so maybe that would be an easier way for you to see if both sensor signals are working.

And are you 100% sure you didn't mix up the speed and ref sensor connectors?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:54 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

OK I have re-read the post and would like to make some quick suggestions.
1. You have no spark. Concentrate on this don't think about anything else. Analyze everything on that car that makes it spark.
2. Think about things you disturbed. The gap? The three sensors? Switch them into the different plugs you may have switches them.
3. If you are certain that they are plugged in correctly have someone crank the car while you wiggle all those wires on top of beellhousing. You might get lucky.
4. Not likely but not unheard of, disable the alarm, jump the airbag module. Very easy to do and eliminates those possibilities.these cars are wired that if the airbag deploys it shuts off the DME
After you do all that work your way back from the plugs to the computer.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
OK I have re-read the post and would like to make some quick suggestions.
1. You have no spark. Concentrate on this don't think about anything else. Analyze everything on that car that makes it spark.
2. Think about things you disturbed. The gap? The three sensors? Switch them into the different plugs you may have switches them.
3. If you are certain that they are plugged in correctly have someone crank the car while you wiggle all those wires on top of beellhousing. You might get lucky.
4. Not likely but not unheard of, disable the alarm, jump the airbag module. Very easy to do and eliminates those possibilities.these cars are wired that if the airbag deploys it shuts off the DME
After you do all that work your way back from the plugs to the computer.
Very sound advice.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

You are getting good help and sound advise here.

​​​​​​You are missing ignition. How about fuel?

Did you verify the injectors are firing or not? If the injectors are firing, the Ref/Sync are not your problem.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

That is Why I was suggesting Spark.. Make sure it happens, If you see spark THEN worry about fuel, After all they only need three things to run... You have confirmed no spark. When You confirm you have spark then move on to fuel, but I have a feeling if you get spark it will be running. Pretty sure its getting air cause you're still breathing and its not underwater, LOL
I Forgot to add something in my last post that you wrote that is KEY here... THE CAR RAN BEFORE THIS WORK WAS DONE! You have eliminated the computers,, - It stands to reason that Something went wrong in performing this work.
You can look Down the Hole to see if that allen screw is still there. its supposed to stick up 5 mm and the gap is 0.8mm **You only need one ref sensor to make it run** My Spec Clutch only has one allen screw in it...

If you removed the bracket for the speed sensors then you WILL have to re-adjust it I made a tool to do this out of a piece of round stock and a slide collar to do mine.Hold it against the sensor with the The GAP is Critical!
And after seeing your harness I would Replace it... Its CHEAP insurance, After all the car is not getting any younger..
Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven’t read the whole thread, but if no spark, did you jumper the KLR to rule that out? It Receives a signal from the DME and returns a signal to allow spark to occur under cranking. The Porsche test plan has details on the jumper procedure, it’s KLR pins 9 and 16 for jumper.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

By the way, does your boost gauge show 1 when the ignition is on and the motor not running? That's a good proxy to confirm your DME/KLR is getting power. To John's point about fuel, if memory serves, he confirmed fuel in the cylinders after cranking, though not necessarily an actual pulse. But point taken. I'm with GPA951s in general -- all the o-scope stuff is interesting and educational, but going back and checking your work is likely more fruitful (and bypassing the KLR to rule it out, and wiggling the wires, and backing your way through the system from the spark plug to see where the spark failure starts).

Quick Reply: DME destroyed?