Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME destroyed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Well, you'll have to wait a bit longer; this weekend saw little time to do any investigating or 'scoping.. probably for the better, as Alan points out, it's too easy to get sidetracked...

In small bursts of time, I was able to drain a little coolant to install a new turbo aux coolant temperature switch (btw, couldn't find a torque value on that one for the life of me) and drill out the one broken end-stud on the batwing. At least if / when this thing starts, I'll be able to put the wheels on and drive.

Hopefully, the new sensors will arrive this week and I can pop them in quick and report what happens!

In the meantime... while looking for that non-existent torque value, I came across this cool pic in the official workshop manual. Oddly cartoonish lol

Old 04-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

PS Very interesting all the random differences in continuity measurements from these FAE sensors...................
Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

The new sensors haven't yet arrived. Checking on the shipping, I notice an odd timing. What the heck happened between the time I ordered and the start of shipping? 8 days? I guess the savings in customs / border fees means payment in time..... either that, or the place I ordered didn't drop off the pkg all that time. Ugh.

Hopefully next week.........

Old 04-13-2018, 11:26 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
The new sensors haven't yet arrived. Checking on the shipping, I notice an odd timing. What the heck happened between the time I ordered and the start of shipping? 8 days? I guess the savings in customs / border fees means payment in time..... either that, or the place I ordered didn't drop off the pkg all that time. Ugh.

Hopefully next week.........

Welcome to 944 ownership A lot of the vendors are fairly small places run by enthusiasts. You do get a more personal touch but it often comes at the cost of shipping time.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Yeah it's been 10 years now... but this past year has been especially trying the patience... AOS seals job now this monster.

I guess the days of Daily Driving are behind it lol

I see an oil pan gasket might be next. The holy trinity will be complete
Old 04-14-2018, 08:29 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I know the place you ordered from, I called and complained about it the parts not shipping for days.... and He actually refunded me My shipping. I found the Trick to owning these cars is to own more than one. That way you can steal parts off the one you're not driving at the moment, get the car you are driving up and running while the parts your robbed are in transit.. I also keep about three complete gasket sets, on hand, Bearings, rotors, DME's ......
Old 04-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, having two of these is the easy way to test for bad parts. But I find the driving experience for the 88 TS car is very different than the softer sprung 87 T. Like two children; both with different personalities.

These cars are much like the crying baby, you go through the same routine; wet diaper, hungry, fever,.....
Alan
Old 04-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Man, you guys do it right.. multiples of the same car; I can barely convince the 'ol lady to keep this one! LOL!

I guess the only other option is total restore/rebuild. First ten years and 100k US miles of post-purchase ownership were golden... but when it rains, looks like it pours.........

Or.. ice storms. What's up with this crazy spring this year?!?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:21 AM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 91 C2
These cars are much like the crying baby, you go through the same routine; wet diaper, hungry, fever,.....
Alan
However, most children don't catch fire, have a smoking meltdown, leak fluids everywhere (oh wait, maybe they do) and burp and spit and fart when they are not happy.....well, shoot, maybe they are.

Never mind...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Cats are far easier. Look what came in tonight's mail... with NO duties or customs fees!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

First step: check for the continuity issue. None found:

If it wasn't so late, cold, and dark, I'd run out and put them in right now!! Tomorrow will do
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I couldn't wait; installed them and.................

First, check to see if I have to re-gap the bracket. Doesn't look like it; if anything, the Bosch (second pic) is a teeny bit shorter

Next, I have to note that the length of the wire of the "OEM fit" FAE is the same as the "longer-version" Bosch (the one that costs similar to the FAE but original for a BMW model apparently). EDIT: in case anyone is wondering, I transferred / glued the original yellow "DG" onto the FAE sensor

Attached both the noid light (fuel injector plug) and LED (ignition coil)......

Ok. LED lights! But.. noid light on injector plug doesn't (in the video, the noid light is the white thing kinda in the centre)

Stopped to go in and put kids to bed.

Here is the noid light I am using; it is the only one from the kit that fits:

I guess I should go out and try to start it for real. A little.. hesitant, esp given the coolant situation (filled but not bled), the car is in an enclosed tent garage, and, well, the adrenaline is a little high. That's when mistakes happen lol

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 04-17-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Why would the noid light not work? Does it only go in 1 way? If so, it won't go the other way; if I flip it around, the leads are too short and the body part gets in the way.

I'd like to see both lights before I insert the fuel pump fuse and try to start for real
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Some noid lights don't work on these cars. Get out there and start it! A little air in the cooling system isn't going to matter at all for a quick yes/no start-up test...
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

ok..

Quick Reply: DME destroyed?