Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo pump, cruise control, used J-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 04:40 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo pump, cruise control, used J-Pipe

I found me an ugly coolant leak starting at the turbo pump. I finally got it out today, however the J-boot being nearly 20 years old was so brittle that it broke in 2 places....more on that in a minute though...

I have the turbo pump out and have unscrewed the plastic portion at the bottom where it covers the impeller. I believe though that the leak is happening above the impeller in the plastic housing that goes up to the motor. However, I'm not ready yet to tear up the impeller to get it off as I know at least one person has done a repair and cleanup on this before and I wanted to see if I could do the same. The pump works great, it's just got some kind of a seal or o-ring leaking in that segment best I can tell. Could anybody tell me how I can get up in there to check that and see if I can repair it? It looks like the metal housing on the upper side is attached by some tiny metal bits that are crimped in as it's a bit loose anyway. Does that come off and then you can hold the shaft and unscrew the impeller? Or is the impeller pressed on? Anybody have a clue? Really hate to spend $180 on a new one at present.....but if I end up having to, I guess I will. Probably going to replace several of the coolant lines right there too whether they need it or not (a couple look original and a couple look replaced).

As for the J-pipe, I'm kind of interested in a used one (maybe from someone who has upgraded to a MAF or MAP kit) as I may go for this SFR $995 MAF when they get it available with stock maps as my car isn't that much different and I'd have a good place to start. However in the mean time I'd like to be able to drive the car and I'm not sure if I'm going to get the kit or not.... Anybody have one they'd sell me?

Oh, on the rear bolt that holds the cruise box in place.....how hard is that thing to get in/out of there? Looks like a real PITA. While my car is down I figured I'd pull that and resolder all the connections on the inside.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2003, 07:32 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be able to help with the j-pipe, you are talking about the stock rubber j-boot right ? I will dig mine up and if it is not cracked it's yours if you want it.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:54 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Yep, the stock rubber one that attaches to the turbo.....the big air hose that comes out of the top, that area was dry rotted out and as soon as I started to pull that hose out after removing the metal clamp and lubing it up some, it split all around the base of that.....

Thanks a bunch!!!! That would be awesome, David! I'd be happy to pay for the shipping on it if you still have it. This is why I love Rennlist

On the good side, I played a bit with the shaft on the turbo.....that thing seems solid...no play in it.....which is good....otherwise I'd be too tempted to tear in and remove the turbo as far as I have everything apart at the moment.....lol
Old 12-27-2003, 10:00 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will check the condition of my part tomorrow, and let you know
Old 12-27-2003, 10:35 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If David's is too far gone, I have a new J-Pipe that I don't need anymore for pretty cheap...
Old 12-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Kenny Bradley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew,

The turbo cooling pump impeller is pressed onto the shaft. It's a little tight to come off but it should come with some gentle persuation. There is a mechanical seal behind the impeller.

Chris if Andrew isn't interested in your new J-pipe I may be. How much do you want for it?

Cheers Kenny
Old 12-28-2003, 05:07 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys......

Kenny, that worked great. Took a pair of case knives and put them under the impeller, then tapped the motor shaft end down through the impeller, came right off. I think I see where the leak is with a little rubber seal at the top of that where the shaft comes through. Going to replace that and see if I can add anything else in there that might help seal up that section. Not a clue do I have why there is a rubber ring around the shaft in the section above that.....no idea at all unless it's some kind of damper. Going to see if I can find an o-ring or some other piece of rubber to replace that one and see how that goes. Test it outside the car first

Hmmm....now to figure out the easiest way to get that cruise box out of there.....dang it. 60 degrees here today and sunny and my car is in 30 pieces in my basement! Argh!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew,
I found my j-boot, looks to be fine, if you want it send me your address and it is yours
Old 12-28-2003, 09:49 PM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also need a j-boot. I'll pm both of you that have them available and if they don't need it, I DO. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:51 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Woohoo!!!! Thanks David. I'll PM you my address....
Old 12-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Joe Jackson
Pro

I've got one brand new j-boot ($70 including shipping) and one in very nice shape off a 27k mile car ($40 including shipping).
Old 12-29-2003, 01:16 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a brand new j-boot too. e-mail me if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Turbo pump, cruise control, used J-Pipe