Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

differental cost/labor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differental cost/labor?

I was wondering how much a limited differental would be for a '86 944 turbo? Is it just a direct bolt on replacement for the car? Where is a good place to buy to get one? How much time would it take for someone to replace one, I should say me. I have a good understanding of all of it and don't see running into any problems. As far as HP, I have heard that without a limited diff. you can only go up to about 350 HP before you need to worry about it. I live here in northeast Ohio so only having one wheel turning with 4" of snow isn't the best, mainly was just looking at getting more traction with the bad weather really.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:11 PM
jim944s2
Racer

It's been a few years, but I bought a good used Porsche lsd for $800 from a wrecker, but the added question is; do you have the oil cooler?, (which you probably do on an '86). If you have the cooler you need the lsd specific oil pump drive-gear if you want to keep your cooler, -another $200 used (for some reason the free diff and the lsd have different oil pump drive gear mounts or something like that). I don't know if they can be used w/ the stock oil cooler gear, but there's a diff called 'phantom grip' www.phantomgrip.com that sells ls diffs for about $350. One guy here has one, he's put about 5k miles on it, but I haven't heard anything else about reliablility. I think the Quiafes are about $1300.
I've auto-xed a 951 a bit, and you really need limited slip for that use, not so much for other uses (except maybe snow!). I had a shop do my install, so I can't help you w/ any install Qs.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Default Phantom grip

I used to be on the honda forums and even there no one liked the phantom grip. If i remember right they just weld onto your existing open diff? I also heard that around 250hp, they will break.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

You can give Paul Guard a call at Guard Transmission 888-894-3277 or
http://guardtransmission.com/lsd_info.htm

Another option is Brian Copan (BMC&G) in Cincinnati or Steinnels in Cleveland

Once you take it apart you will need to set the R&P.

Alan C.

Quick Reply: differental cost/labor?