Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Easy Standalone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 05:28 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the TEC3 from Chris White is a full plug and play, and the TEC3 uses the stock crank trigger sensors without any problems.

My buddy had a Plug and Play TEC3 installed on his E36 M3. Basically, MAP sensor install, injectors, remove stock ECU, plug in TEC3, draw up a base map, road tune for part throttle, and off to the dyno. We had the car completed in less than 4 hours, including dyno time.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:55 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

The Tec3 does not use the factory crank sensor. Chris offers a bolt on package depending on what features you use. He also gives a wiring harness that plugs into the connector in front of the fuse box to make the oil sending unit and turbo water pump work.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:40 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Link DOES use the factory trigger sensors. This alone makes for an easier install. But there are many other factors to be considered also.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:50 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

And DOES the Link harness include wiring to make the turbo water pump and the oil lights work?
Old 12-27-2003, 10:09 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

I believe it does now. The original harnesses did not include such features, but after a customer made the suggestion, I understand all others were modified to accept the additions. You better check with Link on this one to be sure. I can add I was interested to know if they did this, as I am driving them to develop new product for us, and the Link application was one product I asked them to develop. I understand the change was to include the Turbo water pump, Oil level light, AC request, and possibly some thing else. Someone on this board had asked them to add these features, not me. My engine is still in the assembly/ development stages. I won't need an EFI system for a little while yet. BTW, the new parts are coming along well, and I expect that the new Rods, Pistons, (lighter) will be available very soon, now that all the work on the Deck Plate is completed. There is a new Crankshaft been drawn that uses a narrower Rod journal, and the expected delivery date is somewhere in early March. Hopefully, it will be at a price some can afford. For those building a race engine or those who just want the best, this crankshaft should be very good option. For those who cannot afford, the stock one with work is just fine too. I can now also tell you that a new Intake is under flow testing as I write this, along with some other Intake goodies. More as the testing progresses.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:33 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by m42racer
the work on the Deck Plate is completed.
I was very excited about the deck plate, untill PD told me it cost $1000 !!

m42racer, do you know anything about the work being done by PD to a 968 based engine for another Rennlister ?
Old 12-27-2003, 10:45 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Well I was talking with Danno for a while about the Link EFI and everything was going well until it seemed PD stepped in and then all the prices jumped and things changed big time.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:02 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

David,

The cost of the deck plate is $ 1000.00. The block is extensively machined to accept it and the tolerances are held to under 0.001" in order to have a zero fit. The cost also includes the deck plate itself, no small machining task, as it fits in the deck and around the cylinders. All of this is done on their CNC machine, and the machine time in these machines is no cheap. BTW, they require all of the studs removed or they charge for this also. I know it sounds expensive, but when seen and the amount of machining done at this level, one can understand the cost. I think PD are going to have an open house sometime in Feburary to show customers the machining tasks they offer.

As for the 968 engine in there, which one. There are 4 that I know of, along with 2 944 race engine conversions as well as mine. I do not know anything about the others, as Neil operates a don't ask don't tell policy. What I do know is that many of the new parts PD has developed are going into these engines, but which I do not know. It is not hard to see that some parts are not for the single Cam engine, so these must be for the 968 engine. The message is getting out there, as I have never seen so many inline 4 cyl. Porsche engines in that shop. Although I do have access to the shop area, I am limited to the work done only to my engine.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:12 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

We should move this to another post, and leave this one about standalone EFI systems.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:21 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by m42racer
David,

The cost of the deck plate is $ 1000.00. The block is extensively machined to accept it and the tolerances are held to under 0.001" in order to have a zero fit. The cost also includes the deck plate itself, no small machining task, as it fits in the deck and around the cylinders. All of this is done on their CNC machine, and the machine time in these machines is no cheap. BTW, they require all of the studs removed or they charge for this also. I know it sounds expensive, but when seen and the amount of machining done at this level, one can understand the cost. I think PD are going to have an open house sometime in Feburary to show customers the machining tasks they offer.

As for the 968 engine in there, which one. There are 4 that I know of, along with 2 944 race engine conversions as well as mine. I do not know anything about the others, as Neil operates a don't ask don't tell policy. What I do know is that many of the new parts PD has developed are going into these engines, but which I do not know. It is not hard to see that some parts are not for the single Cam engine, so these must be for the 968 engine. The message is getting out there, as I have never seen so many inline 4 cyl. Porsche engines in that shop. Although I do have access to the shop area, I am limited to the work done only to my engine.
I understand the cost with all the machining. I guess I was just wishing for a deck plate we could install without having to strip a block and send to PD.

Jeff Lamb is the Rennlister that has a 968 block at PD for a build
Old 12-28-2003, 12:22 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

See new post.

Quick Reply: Easy Standalone?