Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 turbocharging in Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default 968 turbocharging in Excellence

Did everyone see the article in Excellence this month, showing two different turbocharged 968's? One of them is by rennlist's own John Anderson.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:59 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have not seen it.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:25 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice avatar John.

The article is written by Rennlister Karl Glynn. It also features Dan DeGruchy's Powerhaus 968 and has some comments on the factory 968 turbos by Konstantin. Karl has an article on the 964 Carrera Cup car also.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:32 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's a great article. I got mine in the mail a few days ago.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:53 AM
special tool
Banned

Yeah, the blue car's mechanicals look absolutely first rate - too bad that thing is ugly as a baboon's ***...

Last edited by special tool; 12-20-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:27 PM
944Willie
Instructor

Default Tubro article

First thing I read. I was suprised at the low power of the first one. There was no mention of the cost for these mods. it would be interesting to see the cost increase to get that extra power. I loved both cars and I am looking forward to do a power increase on my car. Mine will be a daily driver and a monthly autocross. I will try some drivers ed. classes. I have been reading with great interest all the comments on different methods and the dyno charts from each. Keep it up.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

I received my copy of Excellence yesturday. Congrats on a very nice article to all who were involved! I found it very informative. I did not know what a wonderful historian/authority Konstantin Kotitsas is on the the 968. I could be wrong but, I even think my car was indirectly referenced by Dan on regarding the stand alone computer and lack of California emmsions standards
Again, Wonderful Job!
Old 12-27-2003, 12:59 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

After custom chips were installed on Trevores car we made 270 at the wheels. The article was written earlier, so the final numbers were not included as the result. He still runs 4.5 psi boost and it makes 270 at the wheels. Again, our desire was to keep it safe and sane, and as stock as possible. He even passed CA smog in SF! Now, on the other end of the spectrum, we are just doing the finakl touch ups to an S2 that we have converted to a low compression engine, using the 16 valve head, intercooler, big garret turbo. We are installing Big Reds up front, as soon as we are done, we hit the dyno. 400+ at the wheels is what we are looking for. Most likely tuned to run around 320-340 at the wheels on pump gas.

Take Care,
Old 12-27-2003, 01:56 PM
TurboTim
Banned

I wonder why there was no mention of SFR(or at least me) since I helped fab up quite a few of the parts needed for the conversion like the intake manifold, crossover pipe, intake piping, modify the cat-back,etc.......Trevor said he would let everyone know of our involvement.

Last edited by TurboTim; 12-27-2003 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:06 PM
special tool
Banned

You helped out, Tim - and no credit?????

Hey, I'll tell you... if someone helped me out on a car and was going in a national mag., I would make a joke out of telling the writer to put it in there at least 50 times. Especially if that is how the guy eats.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:33 PM
TurboTim
Banned

You helped out, Tim - and no credit?????

Hey, I'll tell you... if someone helped me out on a car and was going in a
national mag., I would make a joke out of telling the writer to put it in there at least 50 times. Especially if that is how the guy eats.

Unfortuntately, I wasnt around when the article was written.However, Trevor assured me he would let EVERYONE know that I had a part in this conversion. I wasnt asking for much and this is why we wont be helping any other shops, do any sort of fabwork, anymore.

Last edited by TurboTim; 12-27-2003 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:43 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I wondered the same thing when I picked up the mag Tim....pretty ****ty.

Thumbs up to Trevor though, thats really cool.. I dont think its his fault.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:01 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Sam,

I wont take it too hard. Afterall, SFR got into Popular Science Magazine in March of this year and C16 Magazine in September of this year. To me, the Popular Science thing was like the utimate magazine to ever be in so its not so bad to not be mentioned in Excellence. I just want people to know what SFR can do.

We will be in European Car and get a spotlight like Kokeln did in an upcoming issue. They will be testing our header, downpipe and intake manifold.So that will be cool.

We are converting an 87' 930 single turbo to twin-turbos right now and this car should make it into Excellence in the near future.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:26 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, it's too bad that so many details could not make it into the article.

Karl did a fantastic job compiling info on all three 968's...so much in fact that his early drafts contained 3x more words than Excellence allowed him to get published in the magazine. In the interview Karl had with me I was very specific and went into detail about everything that was done and giving credit where credit was due. Both SFR and Anderson were emphasized because they both did great work on my turbo. Karl had a great piece written and called me one day saying that he'd put so much effort into the article and had to remove over half of what he'd written to get it down to 2000 words. Most of the specific details could not make it into the issue...I think it was also Karl's first article for Excellence and he did a fantastic job. There's a lot more work going into these things behind the scenes that readers don't know about.

Regardless, everyone who sees and knows the car notices the manifold and I tell them Tim did it. Everybody I meet knows that, I think it's great. I also appreciate Karl's great work on the article given the constraints he had to work with, John's work and dedication to the project [and for giving me the opportunity in the first place], and Pete at Excellence for getting it out there for others to see.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:27 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Tim wanted to change the entire intake setup on the car, using a log style intake manifold, he said it would be easier, despite Trevor and I saying we wanted a clean stock look.. Trevor and I held our positions on the manifolds of the 951 and the 968. Infact one of the reasons Tim wanted to ditch the hybrid manifold idea was because we were having an issue with the fitment of the two manifolds together when welded. I came up with the idea of adding an extension in the runner we were dealing with and it worked perfect. As far as the stock MAF sensor location, again, Tim wanted to move things around, make it easier to get the parts to fit, but also again...Trevor and I held firm on our position to keep it a certain way. Like the forming of the intake pipe from the turbo to the throttle, It was too bulky, so I flattened it, and then cut the angles, Tim welded it. As far as the exhaust work, Tim did that, cut and re welded the flanges to the crossover, and put another flange on the catback.

If Tim wants to sit there like he has been abused then maybe he should start to mention each and every comapny that helps him when making something a car... I mean, If he wants to be honest, then he would tell you all that the 3" downpipe from the turbo was actually my idea and even offered it to me when I left, but I don't do exhausts, he does, se we agreed he should keep it. Hell, anyone that reads this list knows that TIM and I worked together on the supercharger kit for the 2.5 and 3.0 engines. But still he sells it and mentions it under his name. Tim used the water resevoir sold by huntley racing and designed by huntley racing (at least according to the HR website), I would think this is actually quite a lrage part of the SC kit he sells for the 968, but has Tim ever mentioned HR's name in thanks when he is talking about the kit? Or how about the hours Tim and I spent togeth re working his cat back jigs? Or the effort of pulling the cat back off my S and using it as a model to make another line of cat backs? This was effort on my part, what about fabspeed? Why arent they thanked on a public forum by Tim when he sells his 3" test pipe? I mean afterall, Fabspeed builds them.

If anyone reads the 968.net list they will see many many many times that Tim has been praised for his help.Tim welded the intake manifold that is used when we do an S2 conversion. I have never made it a secret, Tim is about the best there is when it comes to welding and fitment. But I hardly think it makes everything he touches obligated to wear his badge.

If Tim does not want to work with companies that fail to mention his name each time the product is brought up, then thats his choice. But the last I remember, I was the wrencher and builder of the system on Trevors Porsche.

Its simple, Trevor and Myself designed, and built a turbo conversion for his Porsche, Tim helped weld our design together, but argued with us on the actuall design. Trevor and I would not deviate from our plans. If Trevor reads this maybe he will recall these points.

Now I think I will go watch TV on my Pioneer TV, with specail thanks to Sony for a chip or two, Acme plastics for the actuall buttons on the front of the unit, Harry and Dick for the design input, Brown Foundries for the conversion of silica to glass for the screen. Thomas Edison for the idea of the juice to run it.

Take Care!

Quick Reply: 968 turbocharging in Excellence