Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without posting pics I can say they are certainly not the same. I will still post the pics and Scott if you would do the same that would be great. I want to know what size valve though. Love the Red top!
Old 12-22-2003, 06:21 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt H . Why so many holes??. Well you need two for the plate to the Tial connection> Then you need 4 more, for the Tial to exhaust flange connection.

MySwiss cheese , sounds good.Mmmmmm!!. Hi! Hi !Hi!
Old 12-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My adapter plates have 4 holes, will snap pics tonight. What size is the valve pictured?

BTW - for anyone thinking of buying one of these, no matter where you get it, this piece oozes quality. Everything about it says it is really nice.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Jerad
Pro

Matt, look at it again, you should have two bolts holding the plate on to the wastegate, I think you are not counting these. There are four more holes to bolt the exhaust flanges up to the plate for a total of six.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Made these before I knew you could buy. Got mad at the weld on **** that was supplied with the waste gate. Yes I know it is not CNC made but perhaps the odd angles will make them more difficult to copy

I made a recess so that the stock ring gasket could be used.
Bengt
Old 12-22-2003, 07:57 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Matt H .The size of the wastegate valve in my picture above is 35mm. It's not a 38mm wastegate.

Bengt Sweden. I have to post a picture of the recess round ring that we have on the other side of the wastegate plate, cause you can't obviously see it here.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:00 AM
TurboTim
Banned

From what I have seen the adaptors Myswiss made are exact copies of the SFR adaptor plates with the exception of another beveled edge on the dumptube plate and he cut the corners off so that they are eight sided instead of four sided.I took some pictures tonight of our plates but cannot post them do to some problems with my membership.If someone else wants to post them email me and I will send you the pictures.

We are also going to be lowering the price of our wastegate adaptors and Tial 38mm combo to $325. This offer is good forever! This deal is for Rennlist members only.

Last edited by TurboTim; 12-23-2003 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:03 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Last edited by TurboTim; 12-23-2003 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:39 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"The adaptors Myswiss made are exact copies of the SFR adaptor plates with the exception of another beveled edge on the dumptube plate and he cut the corners off so that they are eight sided instead of four sided"

By your own definition of their product, it does not seem to be an "exact" copy. Nice to see the price come down though Tim! The innovator hence competes on another basis as I mentioned earlier, price. Weird that eh? Incidently Tim, do you do a 46mm alternative and does it need plates also? Is there a better fitment with the 46mm alternative?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:41 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I must warn everyone this is going to be a long post.

I remember the original thread (war of words?) from a few months ago between TurboTim and MySwiss. It seemed to me then that if MySwiss had chosen a slightly different wording to explain that he had made an improvement to SFR’s adaptor plates, the whole thing would have been a non-issue. Instead, the wording of the original thread implied that he had deliberately bought the SFR plates and then proceeded to machine them and sell them at a lower cost. Well, given that implication, I think everyone can understand TurboTim’s frustration.

However, from the comments in this latest thread, it seems clear that is not what happened:

Tim keeps on saying that we copied them, when in fact it all started when we installed these plates on someone else's car. During the installation of these adapter plates we noticed a few thing we could improve upon, such as making them asymmetrical, for better and easier fitment. The plates are also CNC machine for more precise taped holes, which again, makes it easier to install. And most important of all, we could make them affordable.
It thus appears that MYSwiss, preparing to install the SFR plates that someone else had brought, saw an opportunity for improving upon an existing design. So if his original thread had said instead: “Hey we think we can improve the SFR plate and here is our result” then none of this war of words would have occurred.

I’ve just started reading a very interesting book by Clayton M. Christensen and Michael E. Raynor called “The Innovator’s Solution”. One of the ideas in the book is that there are basically three ways for innovators to market their product. Either they target customers that historically could not use or buy or had the proper skill to use the original product by fabricating a new product that has improved performance with new attributes (New-Market disruption) or they target customers that can be satisfied with just a “good enough” product built with lower gross margins in mind (Low-End disruption) or they can target higher-end customers that are most demanding and that are willing to pay extra for improved performance (Sustaining innovation).

From what I have seen in this thread, I believe that the MySwiss plate could be considered a New-Market Disruption.

Finally, on a personal note, one last question:
What the heck are these plates for? I have no idea what their importance is.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

They are adapters so it's possible to replace a wastgate without doing any welding. With these plates they are completely bolt on.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:19 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Epic2112
They are adapters so it's possible to replace a wastgate without doing any welding. With these plates they are completely bolt on.
Next question then:

Is the stock wastegate soldered on to the exhaust ?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No, it's bolted on - new wastegate and stock wastegate bolt pattern/numbers don't match - the adaptors match them up.

Sam
Old 12-23-2003, 10:40 AM
ewainwright
Racer

No, the 951 Wastegate is a bolt on and from what several state a poor design. Our choices for wastegates are limited as well as our suppliers. The most important part is that we want to keep everyone in business to keep innovating parts coming and more affordable for our aging limited production ( very small target market ) vehicles. My wastegate is shinned and I can hear it leak at the onset of boost. Money for Baby will always be an issue (daughter, wife, house, their education then Baby).

Everyone is entitled to make what the market will bear. However, somehow I feel that we are the losers. Thank you for making these wastegates more affordable. Now how about the hard pipes with BOV Combo deal?

Edit sorry above is a much faster typist than I
Old 12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sam Lin
No, it's bolted on - new wastegate and stock wastegate bolt pattern/numbers don't match - the adaptors match them up.

Sam
AAAAHHHH!... Image of lightbulb finally lighting up in my head!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Wastegate