Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TurboTim
My big problem is that nobody but myself has come up with anything close to these plates. For 15 years nobody thought of and executed this relatively simple idea! .
Not necessarily true. Chris Cervelli @ Technodyne had been making these plates for years for his customers.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott - when I get around to it :>) I have to "work" the top of the turbo to fit under the manifold and order some things I forgot. It will probably be another week or so.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:36 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TurboTim

I always assumed there was a mutual respect on this list and if a lister gets wronged, everyone will come to their side and make it right. Apparently this is not the thinking here anymore. I guess the current state of mind is.....knock it off and sell it cheap because we dont have alot of cash to spend.
tim,
speaking entirely for myself, the reason i have not come out on "your side" or steven's side for that matter is because i have not seen either product and therefore cannot factually state that one is a copy of the other.

i would imagine that 99% of the people on this board have not seen both products -- unless they are in the habit of buying spare wastegates. therefore you cannot realistically expect the list to condemm another lister without some visual evidence.

what i do know is that i have done business on several occasions with both yourself and steven and both of you guys have been a pleasure to deal with.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Shaheed, you will be able to see a side by side, tonight, if Scott and I actually take the pics.

Scott - how about we take pics of the top/bottom of each plate and then one from the side showing the thickness of the material, it will make it easier to compare.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:50 PM
MySwiss
Pro

I have been trying to post a pic since friday, but I have to wait for the Rennlist admistrator to fix the problem for me to post.

One thing that will not be noticed on the picture, but is noticeable during the installation. Is the fact that we manufacture asymetrical plates. That simplifies the installation because the bolt holes will match with the Tial in any direction.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Is the fact that we manufacture asymetrical plates. That simplifies the installation because the bolt holes will match with the Tial in any direction. Does it make a difference? There is only one "right" way to install the WG or is that an incorrect assumption?

My Tial came with the plates "bolted" to the unit so I suppose you cant get the install wrong.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:17 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Matt H .We didn't get the plate with the wastegate,so we had to install them on the Tial and then on the exhaust.

The fact that they are asymmetrical and built on a cnc, just takes the guess work out of the job, for some of our customers and makes everything line up a little easier
Old 12-22-2003, 03:03 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not advocating any kind of pirating. Using someones concept of design to make your own product is what I am... It is basic commerce. The issue you have with your argument is that you can not define a level at which you can "copy". Hence laws to prevent illegal copying. The laws of which will judge that the "My Swiss" design is perfectly legal. Hence it is fine to do so...
Old 12-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

MySwiss, I "think" I understand what you are saying about the astmmetrical design. Any chance of becoming a sponsor, since you will soon be selling product through the web-site?

NZ951 - this isn't really so much about law (does everything have to be now days). I think it is more about principle. The basic question is, "Is it okay to steal (in essence or in fact) someone else's product design?" We will have pics later and we can make our own determination about whether said item is copied/stolen or just a simliar part with similar design, serving a similar function.

I would like to see what the other RL vendors think (not about this particular issue but the greater issue at hand). I bet they wouldnt be to happy if you "borrowed" their designs.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought I would toss in my two cents since I have installed a bunch of the SFR adapters – if you haven’t ‘played around’ with these the concept seems pretty simple. In fact the only way this concepts works requires that the wastegate is reoriented from the stock position. It is not a simple adapter plate to match the bolt patterns. It took some time, thought and I am sure some trail and error to get the angle of the wastegate bolt pattern just right so the wastegate does not rub on the body or torque tube.
I have done my share of one off work and the first prototype usually has a pretty significant number of manhours involved. Please don't discount the fact that someone has a lot of their time invested in the concept. If they can't stay in business becasue they products are getting 'knocked off' then we all lose.

Chris White www.944enhancement.com
Old 12-22-2003, 05:16 PM
NZ951
Race Director

In principle, of course no one should steal anything.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:25 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Chris White. You are correct. It's time consuming,and the trickiest part, is the thickness. To thick , you can't install the wastegate. To thin, you get a gap. (Obviously,the thickness can not be seen here)

When I say that they are symmetrical bolt pattern, I mean in relation to the plate edges.

Here is a picture. Notice the 2 shaved edges, to clear the top Tial body. It simplifies the installation.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/image010.jpg
Old 12-22-2003, 05:34 PM
AlexE
Pro

Well if that doesn't answer it for everyone...... nothing else will.

Nice piece Myswiss.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

MySwiss, what size valve is that?

Why so many holes?
Old 12-22-2003, 06:07 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Good questions, it looks like My... Swiss Cheese!

Quick Reply: Wastegate