Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Coolant temps w/ 951 vs NA head (exh. port liner)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Coolant temps w/ 951 vs NA head (exh. port liner)

Wondering if anybody ever tracked or even noticed a difference in coolant temperatures after running a 951 head vs a plain 944NA head.
I saw a video about some company's slick exhaust port thermal barrier coating, talking about how it keeps the EGT higher which makes more exh. gas velocity etc...
Made me think about the 951 ceramic port liners.

I know the consensus is that they were put in place to help with cold emissions (heat up the cat faster) so the insulative property keeping exh. heat out of the cooling system does "work", but how effective is it when up to temperature?
Old 12-27-2017, 12:36 AM
steven74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While looking for a head gasket, I called Lindsey racing and asked what the benefit of the cooling modification was they offer on their head gaskets. He said it was to increase cooling to the exhaust area to reduce possibility of the ceramic liner cracking. When I told him I was using an n/a head, he said it was probably not needed. While not a direct answer, my thought would be coolant temp would be negligible between the 2 heads with a possible benefit to the turbo head, probably more from the exhaust valve as a heat sink and the cooling of the exhaust port.

Quick Reply: Coolant temps w/ 951 vs NA head (exh. port liner)