Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2.5L modified Crankshafts

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Performance Developments
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.5L modified Crankshafts

The last few days we have had several ask about our modified crankshafts used in some of our race engines. Some of the more bespoke engines used custom billet crankshafts and in others we modified the stock crankshafts, This lightened the crankshafts, bull nosed the counterweights along with many other modifications.

We have some in stock and have decided to finish them and offer these for sale. There are many options available including adding additional stroke, narrowing and decreasing the the rod journals to use the high quality tri metal bearing shells, etc We can offer these as complete assemblies with Rods and Pistons to the same specifications as our 2.5L engine used by Patrick Garvan in Australia. These assemblies can easily rev to 8250 RPM.

For further info email to www.info@performancedevelopments.com.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:19 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Put in for this a while back and received mine a few weeks ago.

Top rate workmanship.

Highly recommended,

T
Old 11-29-2017, 04:55 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice.

What work did you get done for yours?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:50 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Very nice.

What work did you get done for yours?
It's just a stock configuration 2.5 liter for a 16V NA race engine I'm doing, no offset or change in journals, etc.

Checked for and/or straightened, casting cleaned up, weights bullnosed, balanced, factory rod journal cross drill hole tapped for plugs, journals polished.

They have crank cores on hand (as explained) but I'm a bit of a monkey circus freak (Soundgarden spam . ) when it comes to keeping all parts married to a block by the factory, so they waited for me to send my own core.

Neil is very knowledgeable (I'm hard to impress) and Taylor is prompt with status updates and communications.

5 stars.

T
Old 11-30-2017, 09:46 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Ha! I can relate. Once I own 944/968 parts I have a very hard time parting with them...no pun intended. I want to keep my stock 2.5L crank with my original block. The reason why I bought a crank from Darwin....which is still sitting with him in Utah. I suppose I should get that one sent for an offset grind.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
It's just a stock configuration 2.5 liter for a 16V NA race engine I'm doing, no offset or change in journals, etc.

Checked for and/or straightened, casting cleaned up, weights bullnosed, balanced, factory rod journal cross drill hole tapped for plugs, journals polished.

They have crank cores on hand (as explained) but I'm a bit of a monkey circus freak (Soundgarden spam . ) when it comes to keeping all parts married to a block by the factory, so they waited for me to send my own core.

Neil is very knowledgeable (I'm hard to impress) and Taylor is prompt with status updates and communications.

5 stars.

T
Old 11-30-2017, 11:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

wonder how much weight is removed by drilling those slugs ?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I will be sending a crank and block/girdle to PD for machine work if I ever get around to disassembling and measuring my spare engine!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
wonder how much weight is removed by drilling those slugs ?
(Crankshaft cu/in x .2835) - (4 x (.250 {w} x .500 {d}) X .2835)......?

T
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Droops83
I will be sending a crank and block/girdle to PD for machine work if I ever get around to disassembling and measuring my spare engine!
I'd consider the multi doweling of the girdle if I was stressing the block more, but I'm at 10.9 factory compression + .1:1.

I am on open terms of consideration on a few other avenues of performance with them, mainly camshafts and lightweight hydraulic lifters but, holidays + 100 other irons in the fire made me switch engine to back burner for now, although my bore/honing piston fitment is scheduled with my local guy week after next.

Gonna play around with furthering my aero work for a little while while I finalize my next engine steps.

Aluminum sheet + my own fab labor + my own aero theory = almost free....

T
Old 11-30-2017, 01:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

how do they get that surface finish on the crank?
got to make the crank pretty...

Last edited by V2Rocket; 11-30-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

sorry, didn't mean it to be demeaning, was genuinely curious.
comment edited..
Old 11-30-2017, 03:50 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Performance Developments
I have some extremely qualified people working for me. My background was special and I am humbled for the opportunities I had. But that does not compare to the privilege I have had over the past 20+ years to have some very special people working with me. Any reference to a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX just demeans those that work with me, the work they do and what we put out for the 944 community.

We don't make a lot of money doing work for the 944 world. We do it because we love what we do and we have always felt that the 944 community was excluded from modern technology and support. Our support for Patrick G, and others around the world that use our services for the 944 platform has allowed us to offer some of this technology to the masses. The majority of our work with Porsche engines is with the late model water cooled engines up to and including the latest 991 engines.

Our love for this work crosses many different engines and generations. We do it because we love what we do. Regardless of the level of work you produce, if you want the 944 community to have the respect it deserves, there is no room in my mind for demeaning comments like the one above.
Hey Neil,

This thread will hopefully get a lot of traffic that it deserves, and we really appreciate the dedication to these old cars.

I know the member personally that made the post you quoted and can guarantee it was a one off slip up.

Can you do us all a favor and modify your post to exclude that copied comment....?

Please..?

T
Old 11-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Performance Developments
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deleted the post I made.

I value and respect those that work for me. The greatest asset PD has are the people who work for it. I also believe the 944 community deserves a lot more respect and credit it gets.

No offence was directed to the other person. If any was taken, please accept my apology.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Performance Developments
I deleted the post I made.

I value and respect those that work for me. The greatest asset PD has are the people who work for it. I also believe the 944 community deserves a lot more respect and credit it gets.

No offence was directed to the other person. If any was taken, please accept my apology.
No no, everything understood.

And surely, you made no offense.

Just trying to keep your thread cleaned up for future searches, etc.

As I stated above, I have some future plans to discuss but will reply through email.

I sent an article to Taylor's address this morning about a new Nissan/Infinity engine I thought y'all would find interesting,

Take care,

And get back to work...

T

Quick Reply: 2.5L modified Crankshafts