Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice on turbo size and next thing to do on mod list.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NCLA951
Please skip all of the MAF, MBC, Wideband and gauge and just get VEMS. Does all of that and EBC, monitors and keeps AFRs safe, overboost protection, and will tell you when something is wrong VS DME that may all of a sudden have a problem with any number of things and can tell you next to nothing. Just read all the threads on making various MAFs work and or trouble shooting DMEs.

It’s literally the cheapest way to do this stuff as well. MAF kit is at least 1200, wideband and gauge a couple hundred more, MBC is cheap but won’t hold full boost to redline. VEMS kit from Peep is like 1500 ish, has all of it and Injectors can be included, and all you need to do is make sure your fuel pump is up to snuff and you have 3 bar FPR. I’ve had mine installed for a year, works flawlessly, and I don’t have to have any extra gauges. If I want to see what’s going on I can stick my tablet on the windshield and see everything the engine is doing and data log with GPS. Seriously, I don’t know why anyone would mess with MAFs and DMEs anymore. Ok rant/VEMS commercial over.
I remember reading about it when it first bought the car. Sounded pretty neat. So just to understand, it completely replaces the DME correct?? I have the A tune so I have the adjustable FPR and Map installed. Does it utilize the factory Air flow system? Or does it have its own MAF sensor with filter and pipe? And of course I can add a larger turbo in the future and it will play well and recognize it? Might contact Peep for more info.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, no more DME. Uses MAP metering no air meter needed, just intake temp and pressure. I went down the road of chips, MBC etc, would have saved a bunch of time and money had I just skipped to standalone.

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
I remember reading about it when it first bought the car. Sounded pretty neat. So just to understand, it completely replaces the DME correct?? I have the A tune so I have the adjustable FPR and Map installed. Does it utilize the factory Air flow system? Or does it have its own MAF sensor with filter and pipe? And of course I can add a larger turbo in the future and it will play well and recognize it? Might contact Peep for more info.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:06 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

NCLA - I've been intrigued by VEMS. PM on the way...

EDIT: NCLA951 - sent you a private message. Please let me know if you did not receive it. My private messaging seems to be messed up... :|

Last edited by mtnman82; 11-20-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

NCLA951 - Is there a link you could share so learn more about VEMS?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Peep got back to me right away with my inquiry. I’m definitely going this rout this spring. Seems very very simple.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 AM
Bakanepa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent choice, VEMS is the way to go. I had no previous experience with standalones before i got mine. It's truly PnP as advertised, and should there be something, then Peep is super helpful!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:50 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As for bolt-on mods, nothing compares to the gains of a dual port wastegate and boost controller.

Quick Reply: Advice on turbo size and next thing to do on mod list.