Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice on turbo size and next thing to do on mod list.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017 | 06:22 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Default Advice on turbo size and next thing to do on mod list.

So as my car sits, I have the Rogue A-tune. All the maintenance is up to snuff. Timing, balance, fuel lines, ect. The car runs really good. Doesn’t leak anything. Super fun. But, I’m craving the next steps. Right now, I’m planing on exhaust. And Widenand. And possibly a wastegate while I’m doing the exhaust. I’m really craving a larger turbo. Looking at the LR 53. Would it play well with the A tune? Any other advice you guys have?? I’ve done a lot of research already, just seeing if I’m missing anything...👍🏼
Old 11-18-2017 | 06:47 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
So as my car sits, I have the Rogue A-tune. All the maintenance is up to snuff. Timing, balance, fuel lines, ect. The car runs really good. Doesn’t leak anything. Super fun. But, I’m craving the next steps. Right now, I’m planing on exhaust. And Widenand. And possibly a wastegate while I’m doing the exhaust. I’m really craving a larger turbo. Looking at the LR 53. Would it play well with the A tune? Any other advice you guys have?? I’ve done a lot of research already, just seeing if I’m missing anything...👍🏼
If maintenance has been taken care of, Id remove venturi if you havent already since you will be going with an aftermarket wastegate. Manual boost control also. Before you add a bigger turbo, I'd monitor what you're AFR readings are first. I would go Rouge MAF before turbo. Either way youll need a retune with your mods. Dont forget injectors, 3bar fuel pressure regulator.
Old 11-18-2017 | 07:05 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Cool. So you would do the Maf before the Turbo? I was thinking that too. Just getting a little ahead and antsy for the snail. Probably the best idea.
Old 11-18-2017 | 07:08 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

motoxxxdeamon on the forum has a Powerhaus K27/6, Vitesse MAF, chips & software, injectors, DME & KLR.
Plug and play kit, strong gains in HP and torque. Priced to sell.
Old 11-18-2017 | 07:30 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by mwc951
motoxxxdeamon on the forum has a Powerhaus K27/6, Vitesse MAF, chips & software, injectors, DME & KLR.
hmm. Could you put up a link? For the life of me I can’t find it.
Old 11-18-2017 | 10:03 PM
ekoz
Racer

Once you start modding turbo's, wastegates, exhaust, etc you need to watch your a/f ratios. I agree with getting engine management in place before doing too much. sounds like you are on the path.....meaning once you add one thing you will want more and therefore tuning it again will be required.
Old 11-18-2017 | 10:55 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

What is your end goal for this car?
Old 11-19-2017 | 02:43 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlm328
What is your end goal for this car?
from what I’ve been reading 330-340 whp is still great for the street while being very quick. So right around there I guess. The Rogue A Tune is prob around 250-280whp. So a nice 50-60 increase would be great.
Old 11-19-2017 | 07:25 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

IMHO I would say wastegate/manual boost controller (along with venture delete), then exhaust (might do the exhaust along with the wastegate/manual boost controller), MAF, then turbo (or turbo along with MAF). One good thing about incremental upgrades is you can troubleshoot easier if needed. Have fun and watch that slippery slope!
Old 11-19-2017 | 07:31 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtnman82
IMHO I would say wastegate/manual boost controller (along with venture delete), then exhaust (might do the exhaust along with the wastegate/manual boost controller), MAF, then turbo (or turbo along with MAF). One good thing about incremental upgrades is you can troubleshoot easier if needed. Have fun and watch that slippery slope!
That’s what I was thinking. My car is a 1988...don’t think I have the Venturi system, but who knows. Exhaust first. Then MAF. Turbo last. Prob put in the AF and boost gauges when doing the MAF.
Old 11-19-2017 | 07:39 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Whenever you do the manual boost controller is when you want to put in the boost/AFR gauges. The 3" exhaust added 1+ psi of boost by itself when mine went on, so it wouldn't be bad to have the gauges in by then either.
Old 11-19-2017 | 08:03 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Whenever you do the manual boost controller is when you want to put in the boost/AFR gauges. The 3" exhaust added 1+ psi of boost by itself when mine went on, so it wouldn't be bad to have the gauges in by then either.
cool. Good to know. Is that with a stock DP? I know getting rid of the Cat adds some good power alone...
And, what are some good duel gauge combos people are using? Something clean, not ricey.
Old 11-19-2017 | 10:36 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Please skip all of the MAF, MBC, Wideband and gauge and just get VEMS. Does all of that and EBC, monitors and keeps AFRs safe, overboost protection, and will tell you when something is wrong VS DME that may all of a sudden have a problem with any number of things and can tell you next to nothing. Just read all the threads on making various MAFs work and or trouble shooting DMEs. It’s literally the cheapest way to do this stuff as well. MAF kit is at least 1200, wideband and gauge a couple hundred more, MBC is cheap but won’t hold full boost to redline. VEMS kit from Peep is like 1500 ish, has all of it and Injectors can be included, and all you need to do is make sure your fuel pump is up to snuff and you have 3 bar FPR. I’ve had mine installed for a year, works flawlessly, and I don’t have to have any extra gauges. If I want to see what’s going on I can stick my tablet on the windshield and see everything the engine is doing and data log with GPS. Seriously, I don’t know why anyone would mess with MAFs and DMEs anymore. Ok rant/VEMS commercial over.
Old 11-19-2017 | 10:38 PM
NCLA951
Racer

If you need any further proof, read the DME/KLR test plan and ask yourself how good you are with an oscilloscope...
Old 11-19-2017 | 11:09 PM
Doyle623
Racer

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
hmm. Could you put up a link? For the life of me I can’t find it.
Originally Posted by mwc951

Sorry, I just sold this kit yesterday..

Quick Reply: Advice on turbo size and next thing to do on mod list.