Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial Install... To much boost !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:49 AM
WolleMS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tial Install... To much boost !!

Hi, today i´ve installed my new 46mm Tial.
I use a .8bar Spring and conntected the Side-Port to my CV... the Top-Port is open to atmosphere...
On the first test drive i recognized that the tial does not open... so the boost raises much to high...
Anybody has an Idea ? I used a custom german chip-set wich adjusts boost to 1bar via KLR/CV...
The Tial is installed in the same position as the stock, am i right ? the vent has to open to the cat-hose.... ??

Hope somebody could help me...

Greetings,
Wolfgang
Old 11-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should always see at least .8 if that is the spring you are using. That is how it was explained to me. Search the archives for details on how it should be connected.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:56 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Tail will not work right with the stock CV. Bypass the CV and send the pressure signal from the intercooler pipe (banjo bolt) to the side port of the tial. Leaving the top vented will give you spring pressure only (.8 bar). I have mine set up like that now temporarily and the boost is rock solid at my spring pressure (mine is .9bar) without any controller etc.

Now, to dial in a boost, either splice in a manual boost controller valve between the pressure source (banjo bolt) and the top.

1) Applying pressure to the top and bottom together will give maximum boost (too much).

2) Applying the pressure source to the bottom port only, leaving the top vented will give the lowest (spring pressure) boost.

Varying how much pressure the top port sees either with a manual controller or EBC solenoid will give you any boost between the highest and lowest possible (scenarios 1 & 2).
Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 AM
WolleMS
Instructor

Hi,
of course i´ve checked all archives before posting... unfortunatly there are not hints for the correct position... it can be installed with the valve opening to the crossover-pipe or opening to the cat-pipe...
I hope the its correct that the "Top-Port" is really on top of the tial (facing towards the valve)...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:03 AM
WolleMS
Instructor

Thanks,
(think i wrote to slow)... is there no chance to use it with the cv ? I hope i could use it for the first time like the stock wastegate... the spring holds boost to .8bar and the cv then controls boost till the configured maximum...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=Tial+install

Try this.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:51 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Your wastegate is installed backwards.The crossover pipe should feed into the bottom of the Tial wastegate.The side of the Tial should go to the dumptube.

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2003, 12:03 PM
WolleMS
Instructor

Originally posted by TurboTim
Your wastegate is installed backwards.The crossover pipe should feed into the bottom of the Tial wastegate.The side of the Tial should go to the dumptube.
Hmm... ok, than i should install in in the correct direction... with the crossover-pipe connecting to the bottom of the tial...
But i think thats not the reason for the "overboost" ???
Old 11-26-2003, 12:16 PM
TurboTim
Banned

If it is installed backwards the wastegate cannot open.Make sure you also have a pressure feed from the banjo bolt to the side port of the wastegate otherwise the wastegate will not open.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:19 PM
WolleMS
Instructor

ok... if it cannot open... hmm.. thats not good :-)
Pressure to the side-port comes from the CV... i think that should work... because the CV uses the pressure from the banjo bolt to control the wastegate...
Tomorrow i will turn the Tial and look what happens :-)

Thanks,
Wolfgang
Old 11-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

If the wastegate is installed with the crossover pipe's backpressure holding the valve shut (a la wastegate plumbed backwards) it certainly would cause overboost. The spring and the backpressure (.8 bar and maybe 1 bar at least @12-15 psi of boost, respectively) are collectively holding the valve shut and only the intake boost pressure (12-15 psi) is working to open it. Ask me how I know (or maybe you can guess).
Old 11-26-2003, 01:54 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

I had the same issue with my 46mm! It was installed backwards, once it was installed opposite of the stock wastegate, it worked great, no overboost!
Old 11-26-2003, 02:25 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can someone post a picture of how the wastegate looks like when its installed backwards?
Old 11-26-2003, 05:38 PM
WolleMS
Instructor

If its installed backwards it looks just like the stock wastegate (with the pressure housing on the top)... this was my mistake... it has to be installed with housing heading to the back...
I will post some pictures tomorrow after i fix it... I think i will put the images in a new Topic so its easier to find for other people who like to install a tial....

Wolfgang
Old 11-26-2003, 05:54 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by WolleMS
If its installed backwards it looks just like the stock wastegate (with the pressure housing on the top)... this was my mistake... it has to be installed with housing heading to the back...
I will post some pictures tomorrow after i fix it... I think i will put the images in a new Topic so its easier to find for other people who like to install a tial....

Wolfgang
Say What ????????? My Tial has been controlling boost just fine with the head up like stock for the past year. Is this backwards ??????????

Quick Reply: Tial Install... To much boost !!