seal blowing out

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:56 PM
spyderman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seal blowing out

got a problem on the 944,

Its an early 85, when I got the car, it had a a leaking front main seal. the seal was actually comming out, so i replaced it. as soon as i started it it came out again. so i lrt it sit for a few weeks, and replaced it again. This time it did not come out, i drove the car for about 4 week, and put maybe a thousand miles on it, with no problems. Then one day i am driving it, and the seal comes out again. i cant figure out why it would be fine for all that time, and then happen again? at first i thought maybe the exhaust was clogged and causing backpressure to blow the seal out, and i did hear some ratteling comming from the exhaust, but when i check that it turned out to be just the o2 sensor broken off in there. Is there anyway to check the crankcase ventilation on this car? or would the oil pressure be causing this to push out?, I do not think it is play in the crankshaft or the oilpump drive sleeve, because i replaced the drive sleeve, and the cranf is fine.
Any help or leads would be appreciated
thanks
-Ken
Old 08-05-2004, 03:20 PM
lilredpo
Pro

"seal blowing" reminds me of a joke....

Gentleman in Alaska has trouble with the engine on his snowmobile so he takes it to a local shop. Mechanic said to leave it and check back in later in the day. Man returned and mechanic said "hey buddy, it look's like you blew a seal". Man feverishly rubs his chin and mouth and said uhhh, "how could you tell".
Old 08-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

Generally this is due to a plugged PVC system
Old 08-06-2004, 06:05 PM
spyderman
Instructor

thats what i thought,
so i took the entire pcv system apart, cleaned everything, every thing was clear, put a new seal in,and this time i gleud it in and peaned over the edges of the housing so it wouldnt come out. put the belts back together, took it for a ride, about 1/2 mile down the road the seal came out again, oil is EVERYWHERE

now what?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Run it with the oil cap off, see if you get a lot of chuffing or smoke from the oil fill tube. Maybe you have a cracked head or block that is pressurizing the crankcase beyond the limits of the PVC system to evacuate.

-Joel.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh and run a compression and/or leakdown test too.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:44 PM
spyderman
Instructor

yea, i tried running it with the cap off before, there wasnt any difference than any of the other 944s ive checked, ive also done a compression test before and i got all with in 10 lbs of 195psi. Ive checked all the basics, and i dont thing its crankcase pressure pushing it out. I think that somehow its got to be oilpressure pushing it out because when it does push out, oil comes pouring out.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

195psi, I wish my numbers were like that, mine are all 100ish (between 90 and 110).

Anyhoo, on to your problem.
I don't think the front main seal sees much oil pressure, only the rear main seal (At least as I understand it). If it's pushing out, and it's not crank-case pressure, perhaps look at the crank itself? It almost sounds like it has a little bend to it (although that's very difficult to do).
But I wouldn't worry about that unless you have exhausted all other possibilities.

Quick Reply: seal blowing out