944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Oil leak and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:02 AM
KevDude
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak and smoke

Just picked up my 87 944 yesterday and all was good with life. Started it this morning and drove it 3 blocks to the gym and she was smoking. Took it back home and looked under the hood and I could see some oil on top of the engine manifold. I started it up and it was smoking still. Cannot see where it is coming from. Something must be leaking onto the exhaust. The oil was just changed by the dealer and looked good. I will keep looking and see if I can see where it is coming from. When I backed out of the drive away, I could actually see spots where it was dripping. Not sure if it was caught in the underbelly pan and just dripped out due to my driveway in line or if it is a bigger leak.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:12 PM
KevDude
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, it seemed to go away for a day or two, but came back today. It looks like the Cam Tower shaft has a bad gasket. The drops of oil are dripping on the Manifold. Is it easy to replace this gasket?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why don't you post a couple photos and circle the area(s) you suspect is leaking?

Are you referring to the rear cam tower cork gasket or the gasket between the cam tower and the head?

Quick Reply: Oil leak and smoke