944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Selling my '89 944--need advice on pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Selling my '89 944--need advice on pricing

I thought about posting this in the 944 forum, but maybe I'll get a wider range of opinions here.

I've sold my (pristine) '88 928 S4 and now I want to sell my '89 944 NA daily driver. I'm going to replace those two with one last Porsche car which will serve as my all-around car.

The 944 is pretty low miles @ 88K. Mechanically it's in outstanding shape with lots of work done in the last 2,500 miles or so:

Redone brakes all around including drilled rotors.
Timing and balance shaft belts
Rebuilt 2.7 head

Within the the last 5K miles, PO installed Koni adjustable "Yellows" all around and 951 sway bars and a cross-brace. Had car professionally aligned and corner-balance (for him)--spent about $3K on the upgrade. It is the best-handling car I have ever owned a is just a joy to drive on the street.

He also installed a new stainless steel muffler--Billy Boat I think.

Interior is in good condtion with only one small (~2") dash crack. Has the 10-speaker factory sound system with an aftermarket radio. Seats have no tears or rips and are in "good" condition.

The paint is TIRED. I'm attaching some pix of the car taken after a polishing and it's an OK 20-footer. Problem is that the Guards Red fades pretty quickly, especially in the New Mexico sun. A couple/three months after polishing, it's faded to the familiar orange-ish color.

Questions:

1. What kind of price do you think is fair for this car? I'm going to be way upside down in the car as I paid a premium for the suspension and low miles.

2. I'm thinking of having it painted, but am obviously not going to invest in a top-level paint job. I think a inexpensive ($1-1.5K) might a) make the car sell more quickly and b) *maybe* pay for itself. I'm also thinking that this car might be most attractive to someone who wants to build a 944 spec racer, especially with the suspension and the 2.7 engine in which case investing in a paint job wouldn't make much sense.

TIA for any input.

BTW, I'm looking to find a nice Boxster S, a 996 or maybe a 968, S2 or 951 as my "last" car.
Attached Images     
Old 09-08-2015, 10:30 AM
chadcorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like with the condition, mods, and mileage you have you should be able to get $7-10k. Paint would probably help
Old 10-31-2015, 01:21 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Trust me, you'll want a 951, and it may not be your last.
I agree with 7-10. Looks nice!

Quick Reply: Selling my '89 944--need advice on pricing