944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

cam chain tensioner...again

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 12:11 PM
twat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post cam chain tensioner...again

I inspected the cam chain tensioner assembly on an '87 944S yesterday. The car has 113k miles and I don't know if the PO replaced the tensioner assembly or the pads. The pads are a mango orange color; what color are the factory original pads? Also, the chain groove in the top pad was .025" deep. Can any of you tell me how to tell if the pads or the assembly are original or not? I wrote down the p/n of the top pad but I don’t have it right now…

Thanks
Old 02-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the best I can do is show you a picture of what my pads looked like at about 66,000 miles. I know that the images are not the cleanest, but it may help.

Bottom Pad:

Top Pad:

New Aftermarket Top Pad:
Old 02-25-2002, 01:44 PM
twat
Advanced

Thanks Michael,

Do you still have the tensioner (or pads) from the photo? If so, could you possible measure the depth of the chain grooves in the top pad? That would help me a lot! If they are anything close to or greater than .025", I can confidently assume that mine have been replaced. Much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:21 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am not sure if I still have the old pad. I will give a look to see if I can find it. If so, I will post the wear depth.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:05 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Michael Stephenson:
<strong>About the best I can do is show you a picture of what my pads looked like at about 66,000 miles. I know that the images are not the cleanest, but it may help.

Bottom Pad:
&lt;SNIP&gt;
Top Pad:
&lt;SNIP&gt;
New Aftermarket Top Pad:
&lt;SNIP&gt;
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the pics. Did you do the job yourself, or did you have someone else do it? If you did it, do you have a webpage with details on how to do it, and more pics?

My 1990 S2 has 76k miles on it, and I'm thinking that I ought to perform this maintenance item soon. I'm just not sure yet whether to try it myself, or have someone else do it.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 02-26-2002, 11:11 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have not yet located my old pad, sorry.

Here are the directions I used to replace my pad. Yes, a shade tree mechanic can do the work fairly easily, however, you might want to get a new cam cover gasket first - otherwise you might get some leaks that were not there before. The gasket is a 928 part, not sure of the part number.

<a href="http://boerger.golden-tech.com/images/cam_chain_tensioner_replacement.htm" target="_blank">Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement</a>
Old 02-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update:

I just looked at this site and there is even more information with part numbers.

<a href="http://porsche-944-garage.tripod.com/" target="_blank">944 Garage</a> Go to "944 Garage Shop Manual" and then to "CAM-04".

This also covers the Chain replacement, which is a bit more involved.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:21 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Michael Stephenson:
<strong>Update:

I just looked at this site and there is even more information with part numbers.

<a href="http://porsche-944-garage.tripod.com/" target="_blank">944 Garage</a> Go to "944 Garage Shop Manual" and then to "CAM-04".

This also covers the Chain replacement, which is a bit more involved.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks!! Great info!!

I'm beginning to think that it is a job that I can do myself, to save some $$. My wife will appreciate that...

Jim
Old 02-26-2002, 04:03 PM
Andy S2
Advanced

You could also try this site:-

<a href="http://boerger.golden-tech.com" target="_blank">http://boerger.golden-tech.com</a>

They also have a procedure for replacing the cam chain tensioner pad which I followed with great sucess

Quick Reply: cam chain tensioner...again