Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Advice: cost effective repair for my S2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
NoStretch
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice: cost effective repair for my S2?

So my cam tensioner went in my '91 S2. Stripped the teeth off the exhaust cam, though luckily no valve damage.

I was wondering if there was any feasible way to repair this for under $400?

Keeping in mind the parts I'd need:
-Exhaust camshaft
-Cam chain and tensioner kit
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the right way, but you'll be back on the road with used parts. I have a set of cams for spares here, and someone else may have a tensioner. The chain is only 20 bucks new. $400 is still awfully optimistic, though...I'd want more than half that for the cams.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

as stated, buying the parts used will save you moiney and get your car back on the road. cam gears should be fine when bought and installed as used. i would however purchase all other parts new. not worth chancing a cylinder head, pistons and valves on used parts.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and how do you know it didn't damage the valves? every one of my exhaust valves bent when my timing belt broke, and that was only at 1600rpm. They ranged from "whoa--that's bent" to just slightly off-kilter when chucked up in a lathe.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:08 AM
NoStretch
3rd Gear

It was parked, the problem started with ignition. I pressure tested all the valves to check for any damage and they were all fine.

The intake cam was fortunately spared, it's actually in pretty nice condition, but the chain lodged under the exhaust valve and stripped the teeth.

That's why I really only need an exhaust cam.

And yeah, I definitely would not get a cam chain and tensioner kit used but most of the cost I'd feel would be in the exhaust camshaft. I've been looking around for a good used exhaust cam but I just can't seem to find one, and all of the new ones I find are pretty pricey.

Aside from ebay and the other 944 part sites, anyone have any suggestions on where I should look for a decent used exhaust cam?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
prossi
Instructor

i think some of you arent understanding what broke. His timing belt did not break it was the tensioner which keeps the chain under the valve cover that drives the cams together that broke.

YOU ARE VERY LUCKY THAT ONLY 1 CAM GOT DAMAGED!!!!! this could have caused some carnage, ive actually seen heads destroyed, cams cracking in two, and parts coming up through the valve cover. See pics i have attached and feel lucky, these are very mild compared to some others ive seen. Your failure was likely caused by one of the two white pads on the tensioner breaking. These are a service part ..note to all S2 owners CHANGE THESE if you are not sure that they have been done do it it doesent matter if they look ok they get brittle over time, they only cost $130 and c

valves are more than likely ok but i would REALLY inspect the head around the whole area of the cam chain and tensioner mounting surface. if all you need is 1 cam, tensioner and id replace the chain you have a horse shoe up your a@@
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
prossi
Instructor

nostretch, buy those cams from pettybird if he is willing to sell them and replace them BOTH, buy a new chain, and new tensioner pads if there is no physical damage to the tensioner test it out, it still may be good. if there is damage you can get a used one.also replace the oil feed line to the tensioner it too is cheap
944online has all the parts you will need even a used tensioner if yours is bad they are very helpful and are the only ones ive found that sell the pads seperatly

if you can post a pic
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Old tensioners get stiff. There is no way I would buy one used. When I replaced the unit in my S the difference between the new and old unit at 100k was dramatic.

You can get a new sprocket welded to your cam. There are a couple places that can do it.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:33 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went thru this a while ago. Bent numerous valves, and broke teeth on both cams. In addition to everything already discussed, I would be concerned about where cam teeth went. Unless you know you've recovered all the broken pieces, you need to consider possible issues with stray parts floating around.

We ended up rebuilding the motor in the process.......

Quick Reply: Advice: cost effective repair for my S2?