Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Cross post: Suspension Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010 | 11:14 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Default Cross post: Suspension Refresh

My winter project is going to be a suspension refresh on my 91 cab. Its totally stock and used for the street only. I've read a lot about people going to koni's, M030 sways, etc. What rate springs should I use for a street car?
Besides that what else should I do. Bushing, ball joints, etc???? All rubber pieces. A lot of clunking going on
Please help me come up with a list, what to tackle first and any good DIY write ups out there. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010 | 03:33 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

I would go for Bilstein HD's - there's a new insert for 944S2 struts.

I would do the following:
Bilstein HD's
New 968 front control arms
Steering ball joints
Sway bar bushes

This will make it feel like a completely different car. Do this first THEN decide whether you need different springs or sway bars.

My $0.02!

Mike
Old 11-03-2010 | 09:49 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Thanks Mike. I haven't heard that combo yet.
Old 11-03-2010 | 10:00 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

[QUOTE=mikey_audiogeek;8025234]I would go for Bilstein HD's - there's a new insert for 944S2 struts.

looked on Paragon and didnt see the insert for S2s. Who has it?
Old 11-03-2010 | 11:09 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-pictures.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-86-951-a.html

Links above. Insert is P30-0040. Also worth searching on P30-0104. Some VW (Golf) inserts will fit a modified strut as well. Call Bilstein, hopefully they can do the mods for you.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 11-04-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 11-19-2010 | 02:12 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

How many miles on the car? Get a mechanic familiar with Porsches to see what's loose right now, and you'll know what has to go right away.

944 M030 sway bars are AWESOME. You won't believe the difference in handling, and it does nothing to degrade ride quality. The new 968 pieces are really stout, but you can get the 944 pieces for a pile less. If you are going to use the car for street only, get a fresh set of Sachs struts/shocks and forget about spring rates. If you currently enjoy the ride, it's the only way to keep it. Sports suspensions are fun, but not over expansion joints, potholes, every single road in DC, etc. Keep the touring-tuned ride and enjoy the car. If you want a lowered look you could always put on a set of stock rate Weltmeister front springs and have the rear torsion bar plates dropped to their lowest levels. The ride will be nearly the same.

Get a performance alignment and be done. Enjoy your car!
Old 11-22-2010 | 02:38 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Originally Posted by pettybird
How many miles on the car? Get a mechanic familiar with Porsches to see what's loose right now, and you'll know what has to go right away.

944 M030 sway bars are AWESOME. You won't believe the difference in handling, and it does nothing to degrade ride quality. The new 968 pieces are really stout, but you can get the 944 pieces for a pile less. If you are going to use the car for street only, get a fresh set of Sachs struts/shocks and forget about spring rates. If you currently enjoy the ride, it's the only way to keep it. Sports suspensions are fun, but not over expansion joints, potholes, every single road in DC, etc. Keep the touring-tuned ride and enjoy the car. If you want a lowered look you could always put on a set of stock rate Weltmeister front springs and have the rear torsion bar plates dropped to their lowest levels. The ride will be nearly the same.

Get a performance alignment and be done. Enjoy your car!
157,000 on the odometer. You hit the nail on the head. I dont track this car and dont want to feel every crack in the road w/ a tight suspension. Leaning toward sways, shocks/struts, bushings, ball joints. AND alignment!

Quick Reply: Cross post: Suspension Refresh