944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

T-Belt Advice and Idle Adj. Question on 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:37 PM
deltona
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T-Belt Advice and Idle Adj. Question on 944S2

Hi Guys, new on here today, first post 'n all that.

I've just bought an S2, and am doing some preventative maintenance and refreshing before I start using it in earnest.

It's getting a full service and once-over, but I've a few questions on t-belt renewal:

Anything specific to be watched for with the t-belt job; any special tools needed or anything ? Likewise any other parts which are recommended to be changed at belt-renewal; pumps, pulleys, tensioners etc. ?
I've checked the gates catalogue but they only list the main t-belt and the balance-shaft belt, no kits or pulleys are shown available from them for the 944. There's 126000mls. on this example, so if there is anything I should be changing I'd prefer to exercise some prudence now and do the job just the once.

Also, the idle speed is a little low, what's the correct procedure for setting/adjusting the idle speed on these ?

Oh, and oils, what are people recommending for the engine, gearbox/diff etc. nowadays ? I'm presuming 5w40 or 10w40 for the engine, but what about the transaxle ?

I'm sure I'll probably have more questions down the line, or be seeking further advice, but for now I think that's it. Just keen to get a few jobs out of the way and start enjoying the car for the summer.

Cheers.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of info on the Clark's Garage website on timing/balance belt. Usually due every 30k miles or after 5-6 yrs. If water pump hasn't been done ever probably time for a new one. Also rollers, front seals, gears if they look worn. You can buy a kit from any of the Porsche parts dealers. Check Zimms, Pelican, or 944 Online. All of these dealers carry belt kits and are good to deal with. My older 944 has a small 7mm bolt to turn on the throttle body to adjust idle. Should be set around 850-900 rpm.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 AM
jmmullner
Intermediate

Make sure to properly install lower balance shaft sprocket. It is very easy to get this upside down and have it out 180 degrees. Clarks-garage has a good explanation for pretty much anything but read about the proper alignment of this sprocket
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished this job on my S2 along with water pump and front engine seals. I followed Clark's instructions religiously and didnt have any problems.
Spend the money and buy the tool kit w/ tensioning tool from Arnnworx. http://www.arnnworx.com/

As for oil, I looked through several threads on this and decided to run VR-1 20w-50 and am very happy with it.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Idle on the S2 should be regulated by the DME together with the ICV. My ICV is unplugged because it is not working and idle hovers around 950. With AC on it is 800ish and dips on occasion after coming off throttle.

I will eventually change the ICV to get it where it should be a constant 850ish i believe.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 PM
deltona
3rd Gear

Thanks for the help folks. Apologies for the late reply but I'm just back after a week's holidays. Just browsed through the guides on Clark's Garage site and gonna go back and go through them in more detail, and managed to download some workshop manuals too from another site.

Quick Reply: T-Belt Advice and Idle Adj. Question on 944S2