944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

v8 in a 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v8 in a 944

Anyone ever se a Chevy LT1 engine crammed into a 944?

Wanna? It will be completed by May. I'll post pics!

Oh by the way it will not have 340hp and still be balanced 50/50.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very hot setup. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
cditch13
8th Gear

LT1 is a waste of time now that renegade released the LS1 kit. LS1 weighs less, puts out more power, gets better gas mileage, and has more potential to make big power. The LS1 also only changes the weight distribution by less than 1%.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Millhaus
Anyone ever se a Chevy LT1 engine crammed into a 944?

Wanna? It will be completed by May. I'll post pics!

Oh by the way it will not have 340hp and still be balanced 50/50.

Yeah! I wanna see it! I'd love to try this out sometime myself.

Please come back with pics and details. The He** with the ones who are not interested, or are THAT "purist". I wanna see and hear. Have fun! Congrats! Its YOUR car. Please share.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:26 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be interested in seeing the final product and hearing about the build ... if you do not mind sharing, let us know how much money you put into it also. I have an '83 with no engine right now ... LS1 would be fun.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:09 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cditch13
LT1 is a waste of time now that renegade released the LS1 kit. LS1 weighs less, puts out more power, gets better gas mileage, and has more potential to make big power. The LS1 also only changes the weight distribution by less than 1%.
Could you please post your conversion(s) pictures. Any infomation would be greatly welcome. According to GM motorsport site the stock LS1 and the stock LT1 fully dressed ready to install weight about 45 pounds difference. Maybe they are not telling the truth please enlighten us. Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Werksracer
AutoX

Pics from Renegade Hybrids
Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Lew
Advanced

I'm doing the same thing, putting an LT1 in an 84 944. Thought about the LS1, but it cost a lot more. I got a guaranteed to run LT1 out of a wrecked 95 Z28. The motor's in now and I'm aiming for a May completion date also. I have to finish the wiring, plumbing, all the little details, plus I'm running full emissions, which is more work.
I like the 944, but it was underpowered and the motor wasn't reliable. Timing belts, water pump, heater valve, crankshaft nut, etc. I ran nitrous for a bit but filling the bottle was a pain and I had second thoughts about driving around with a tank under 800+ lbs of pressure in the back.
I'd like to see pics and how you dealt with the driver side radiator hose and getting the throttle body under the hood.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
cditch13
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
Could you please post your conversion(s) pictures. Any infomation would be greatly welcome. According to GM motorsport site the stock LS1 and the stock LT1 fully dressed ready to install weight about 45 pounds difference. Maybe they are not telling the truth please enlighten us. Thanks
From Renegades site
Here is a better way to compare the weight. If you were to take a 944 turbo (951), and remove the Porsche engine and all the supporting systems like the intercooler and oil cooler, then install a stock LS-1 with AC, power steering, the works, your weight bias from front to rear would stay within 1% of stock! Yet, your HP and, especially your torque, would increase substantially. In addition no more costly timing belt repairs, clutch jobs, turbo fires, chronic exhaust issues, well, you get the point!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Werksracer
AutoX

If you were to take a 944 turbo (951), and remove the Porsche engine and all the supporting systems like the intercooler and oil cooler, then install a stock LS-1 with AC, power steering, the works, your weight bias from front to rear would stay within 1% of stock! Yet, your HP and, especially your torque, would increase substantially. In addition no more costly timing belt repairs, clutch jobs, turbo fires, chronic exhaust issues, well, you get the point!

..MY only problem with that.....

is that then YOUR PORSCHE would be powered by a chebby.....
and who the FU#K wants THAT???
Old 03-30-2006, 04:24 PM
IX IV IV
AutoX

LS-1 may involve a little more expense, but the tuning power is greater. How about a twin turbo set up with near 700hp at the wheels in a 944. You know I think it might even fit. Check out http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/ls1.htm
Old 03-30-2006, 04:37 PM
IX IV IV
AutoX

Lets face it, the 944 is a great handling car, one of the best. The engine did not have enough power in na form and too much lag in standard turbo form. Most people want to upgrade both after a few months driving to match todays performance cars. Most of the top race-bred manufacturers used other peoples engines, Porsche, Lotus even Ferarri.

I like the idea of 'Keeping it Porsche' but there just is nothing out there on the engine side for the 944. I looked at 928, it has been done, but costs upward of $100,000.

I know of a few people who have put in the LS-1 V8 and they have ALL enjoyed their cars more and it has cost them less in parts and maintenance that trying too keep thier Porsche engines running. The ones I have seen were expertly performed by Mike Gokey (German Performance) in Ft. Lauderdale.

Go 4 it and I would like to see the pictures of your progress.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:23 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Werksracer
..MY only problem with that.....

is that then YOUR PORSCHE would be powered by a chebby.....
and who the FU#K wants THAT???
So if one was to use a billet Donovan Engineering 410 sportsman block with Motec managment without a single GM part on it is that ok? Most of the people that bash converts have never ridden or driven one. For most people it is not about money savings, pure bullsh**, If you are happy with the 2.5 power stick with it. A convert done right will cost you much more than keeping the stock motor running. I have posted several times on the subject, try a search so see some truthful comments.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Werksracer
AutoX

Well I did say it was MY problem, it doesn't have to be anyone else's.

There's a kid/friend here in Modesto that has a SBC in his 914, I've ridden in the car a couple of times... Yep, it runs hard
I'd just rather keep my Porsche powered by a German motor, that's all.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:54 PM
IX IV IV
AutoX

OK, thought I had an original idea with the V8 twin-turbo, never thought some nut would have done it.

Details:

1984 Porsche 944 Turbo
Full Tube Chassis
Donavan Aluminum 355ci Engine
Brodix Track II Heads
Twin Turbos with Lingenfelter DFI
Richmond 5 speed
9" Ford Rear
Custom Tilt Front End

Must say that the twin turbos would have been better under the car to drop the temperature under the hood and maybe a custom intake to keep the hood stock, otherwise it must be a fun drive.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: v8 in a 944