Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944S2 Stalls Out Intermittently...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM
BklynNYMike
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S2 Stalls Out Intermittently...

I have a 1989 944S2 that intermittently stalls out. It will crank but not start again right away after it stalls.. Needs to sit for 2 or 3 mins and then will usually start up. It seems like it is not getting fuel when this happens. It happens very intermittently, whenever it wants. Usually if I start it in the morning it will start up with no problem. Then if I drive it for 5 mins and shut it and try and start it 2 mins later, it will stall right out and have to sit for a few mins before it will start.
Ocassionally, I have tried to start it for several hours and it will just crank... then I go back to it 5 hours later and it will start right up. Any thoughts..?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:09 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I had very similar problems and did a lot of searching on here for some clues. The top couple ideas are
1. DME fuse/relay - about $25 mail order. apparently heat just wears them out after a while
2. Fuel pressure regulator

However, if you've never changed your DME, I'd start there. It's cheap and there is a pretty good chance it'll fix things.

Your symptoms may be slightly different than mine, but they are certainly similar in that the car would start but after it got warm I'd shut it down and if I tried to start it immediately it was a no go... wait 5 minutes and it would start right up.

Apparently the heat under the hood eventually just eats these things up. When you are moving there is often enough air circulating to keep things cool, but when you stop the heat just settles in and screws things up.

If you do a search on DME or "hot start" problems you'll find more.

Good luck,

Phil
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

I had that same problem with my S2. Then, mysteriously, it went away and I wasn't able to identify the root cause.

However, when I asked folks here for advise back when the problem existed, one consistent suggestion was leaking fuel injectors.

Karl.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
jim944s2
Racer

DME relays eventually go bad, so that's a good & cheap place to start, it could easily be causing your symptoms. If you're good at soldering very small things you can fix it, one of the solders on a post in there gets tiny cracks in it, and makes an intermittent connection.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Folks

I have exactly the same problem....

I thought ide cleared it by fitting a DME relay but its returned..

I have been told that the oxygen sensor could be faulty.????
so guess whats next.....
Old 04-07-2005, 02:37 PM
BklynNYMike
2nd Gear

Default DME Relay fixed the problem!..

Just an update.. changed the DME fuse/relay and so far so good.. no problems at all for the last week.. car starts every time and doesnt stall anymore... Thanks for the tip!! Michael...
Old 04-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Mike,
Post the details of your car, mileage, year, color etc.

Im curious about the details of the next nearest S2 to mine.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:53 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank goodness for this site I was having a stall problem once in a while after starting the car 1989 S2 and could not figure what would do that and then it was happening when I was driving at speeds around 60 mph which really became a problem so searched the forums found the thread replaced DME and problem so far is gone.The DME that was in the car was smaller than the one I replaced with also the it rattled when I shook it so I hope that was the problem.Thanks Again Rennlist and all you drivers out there that resolve my problems!!!!

Quick Reply: 944S2 Stalls Out Intermittently...