My Worst Day As A Porsche Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 11:17 AM
mamizana
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader

I am posting for any advice....
Jacob, I’m assuming this will be totaled by your insurance company. To combat their ‘market value’ payout...

1. Gather as much ‘sold’ data as you can find for similar examples (year, mileage, engine, etc.). A good place is ‘Bring A Trailer’. They have a great collection of data points.
2. Then also grab data from ‘for sale’ on Car Gurus, Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, etc.
3. Make handy your own bill of sale when you bought, plus all receipts for OE/OE replacement parts. Don’t bother with any ‘mods’, as they won’t care if you spent $2,000 on custom headers.
4. Fight, fight, fight. It sucks, but it’s reality for most of us, in our experiences.
5. If you have the room, pay the salvage and keep the car for parts/parting out $$. Typically, salvage value is only a few hundred.

Best of luck, and certainly glad you’re well enough after THAT accident to even be writing this post!!!

Matt

Last edited by mamizana; 04-05-2021 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jacob AbuKhader (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 06:31 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mamizana
Jacob, I’m assuming this will be totaled by your insurance company. To combat their ‘market value’ payout...

1. Gather as much ‘sold’ data as you can find for similar examples (year, mileage, engine, etc.). A good place is ‘Bring A Trailer’. They have a great collection of data points.
2. Then also grab data from ‘for sale’ on Car Gurus, Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, etc.
3. Make handy your own bill of sale when you bought, plus all receipts for OE/OE replacement parts. Don’t bother with any ‘mods’, as they won’t care if you spent $2,000 on custom headers.
4. Fight, fight, fight. It sucks, but it’s reality for most of us, in our experiences.
5. If you have the room, pay the salvage and keep the car for parts/parting out $$. Typically, salvage value is only a few hundred.

Best of luck, and certainly glad you’re well enough after THAT accident to even be writing this post!!!

Matt
Matt that is some awesome and sound advice and that’s exactly what I did. I ended up getting $3,000 more than their first initial offer. My experience was that it all depends who you get on the phone with. Keep calling until you get someone who will sit down and run through numbers. They first told me they couldn’t go any higher. Bogus. You don’t have to accept the initial offer at all. I ended up getting $13,000 for my car which is pretty close to what I had in it total so I was okay with that. It’s actually more of a nightmare trying to deal with the medical side of things but I don’t really want to comment on that too much while things are ongoing still. The thing that’s most frustrating for me is that everyone who sees this car including doctors who are telling me I’m lucky I wasn’t paralyzed is so supportive of me and awestruck by the damage. Speaking with these guys on the phone with a few exceptions it feels like they are treating this entire situation like it was a fender bender. It’s just frustrating dealing with all of this when I wasn’t even at fault.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Steven Kemp
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default insurance company low ***** opposing wrecks, here's

Opposing Insurance many times low ***** your unusual car value/ offer. Here is how I received 7 thousand when initially offered 2. Get similar car sales or dealer estimates of value, and present to opposing insurance. Be ready to go the matts with them. The diffecence is huge. Do not ever feel obligates to accept any "book" values. good luck.

Never thought I would lose my car like this.

I am posting for any advice from fellow 944 and pcar owners alike for tips and warnings as to what kind of headache I need to expect from the insurance company. This was my first car, my baby, my pride and my joy and i was nearly finished restoring it. What information can I be armed with, to fight for the value of my car? Needless to say accident was not my fault. It is the value of the car where I know they will try and get me.

Also would like to point out and thank the the Porsche engineers for saving my neck. Literally. If you ever needed proof of the robust strength of these chassis, here you go.

Edit: I just want to thank everyone for all the kind words and empathy. One of the reasons I love this community so much.
Jacob AbuKhader (04-23-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 05:45 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Just as an update for everyone, I took your advice and did not accept the initial offer. I called the total loss department a few times. I learned that it happens to be who you talk to. I was fortunate enough to eventually get a fellow car guy and an avid canon ball fan. He was the only person to take the time to walk through numbers with me, evaluate the photos, and actually make me feel human. As a result I was given a settlement offer of nearly $3,000 more than their initial 10k offer. So I took it and for my birthday a few weeks ago bought this.

Couldn't say no to this one!
As always the support from everyone in the Porsche community is unparalleled, much like the cars themselves. For future reference, get agreed value, do your homework on what cars have recently sold for, and do not accept the initial offer.
The following 6 users liked this post by Jacob AbuKhader:
jeyjey (06-04-2021), maybeillbuyit (06-10-2021), Mike Murphy (07-01-2021), Spring44 (06-04-2021), vacuumnoise (06-29-2021), Zirconocene (06-04-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:59 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

After reading through all this story Im happy to see you're back in to a 944 and a beauty! I have always had Hagerty declared value after seeing other stories of right offs and low pay outs. More pics needed of that amazing car. Congrats
Jacob AbuKhader (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 07:06 PM
mamizana
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Just as an update for everyone….

Couldn't say no to this one!
What a great ending and gorgeous car!!

Many happy miles!!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:43 AM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by maybeillbuyit
After reading through all this story Im happy to see you're back in to a 944 and a beauty! I have always had Hagerty declared value after seeing other stories of right offs and low pay outs. More pics needed of that amazing car. Congrats
Thank you so much! As requested!

The paint while not factory original was resprayed in the original LM3A code for the car along with a clear coat. It looks brand new but it’s a 10 year old job. Not a single spot peeling or damaged on the entire car.

More of the same story on the interior, both front seats were completely fully restored and covered in full brand new leather. The leather on the shift boot was also replaced. A nice dash overlay and lloyd matts! Always wanted a set for my 83. Dash gauges upgraded with LEDs so one less job to worry about for me!

Another interior shot. That blaupunkt while it looks period correct is actually a fully modern system with usb AUX and Bluetooth capability. Everything works including the AC.

One of the cleanest engine bays I’ve ever seen in a 944. Cam tower doesn’t leak, there isn’t even a trace of dust if you run your finger on the strut towers. Brand new clutch, brakes, motor mounts, all lighting replaced with LEDs, and plug wires. I just had it delivered to my local Indy shop for a fresh set of belts, all new front seals, water pump, lower radiator hose thermostat, and last but not least a fresh oil change. After doing all that work on the 83 I figured I’d let them handle it.

So a little back story for this one... to purchase the new car we traveled out to SanDiego for the weekend and we were staying downtown. On our first night in the city after checking into the hotel (on my actual birthday, and the day before we drove up to Fallbrook to seal the deal on the new one) I walk outside and parked right in front of the entrance for the hotel, was this beauty!!! Like it was fate!
vacuumnoise (06-29-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 12:44 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Damn thats a clean mint engine bay. Very nice. You got a real winner there
Old 06-17-2021, 03:52 PM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Did I miss something?

It sounds like you filed a claim with your insurance company? If you were rear-ended and it was not your fault shouldn't the insurance company of the guy that hit you pay? What state are you in? Sorry if I missed something in your story. Glad you got another 944.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:53 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by 88Silver924S
It sounds like you filed a claim with your insurance company? If you were rear-ended and it was not your fault shouldn't the insurance company of the guy that hit you pay? What state are you in? Sorry if I missed something in your story. Glad you got another 944.
I did not file a claim with my insurance company. You are correct. Since he hit me his insurance company is who I had to deal with. My own insurance was not involved. I’m in Arizona.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:50 AM
oppi
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad accident with good ending.
Jacob AbuKhader (07-04-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:56 AM
S-90GT
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Huge Congratulations Jacob! And thanks for sharing the process and the feedback input from the other members.
I might have missed it but what year is your new 944? My guess was 87? Do you know who made the seat upholstery on the re-trim? I'm looking at GAAH
for black leather seat cover replacement as I've had good luck with them in the past. But theirs are only partial leather-seating surfaces only like Porsche did in '87.
I'd prefer full leather as yours are. Also, I love your Lloyd floor mats but when I contacted them due to copyright issues they said they can't customize with the Porsche script logo as yours are. Any tips on that? Love your car! Well Done and what a super Happy Birthday!
Old 07-04-2021, 12:44 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 156 Posts

Is that the new Blaupunkt retro with the SD card slot behind the fake cassette tape door? I put one of those in mine too....
Old 07-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by S-90GT
Huge Congratulations Jacob! And thanks for sharing the process and the feedback input from the other members.
I might have missed it but what year is your new 944? My guess was 87? Do you know who made the seat upholstery on the re-trim? I'm looking at GAAH
for black leather seat cover replacement as I've had good luck with them in the past. But theirs are only partial leather-seating surfaces only like Porsche did in '87.
I'd prefer full leather as yours are. Also, I love your Lloyd floor mats but when I contacted them due to copyright issues they said they can't customize with the Porsche script logo as yours are. Any tips on that? Love your car! Well Done and what a super Happy Birthday!
Forgot to mention this one is an ‘86 car. Thanks again for all the kind words!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by jeyjey
Is that the new Blaupunkt retro with the SD card slot behind the fake cassette tape door? I put one of those in mine too....
Indeed it is! I’m still fumbling around trying to get familiar with all the settings and features as there are so many. Love how it looks period correct but the quality and features are up to modern standards.

Quick Reply: My Worst Day As A Porsche Owner