944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Shaving Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Colbyps
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaving Engine Bay

After "finishing' the car 2 years ago and going to the show I did all the work for twice. This year coming home the timing tensiioner pulley decided to **** the bed. So now I am pulling the engine and going through it all. But now i get to finally paint the engine bay (never painted it when I painted the car) So im trying to delete as much as i can and shave the engine bay before I paint it. Plan is if i can make it look as good as im thinking ill just take my hood off at the show.

Looking for any pictures of someone that has done it/advice. I have a pretty good idea on what im going todo but looking for any other ideas aswell.

Picture of that car at the show last year. You cant tell but theres Purple flake in the paint the engine bay will be the same but with more flake.

Just getting things ready to pull the engine and deleting some things along the way. Car never had powersteering but still had all the components so getting rid of that. I deleted cruise control, AC, and the charcoal canister so far.
so I need to find another way to vent the fuel system at somepoint. I want to get rid of the windshield washer fluid tank. Probably going to make a coolant tank out of polished aluminum. Want to polish the intake aswell.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:52 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Looking for something like this? Wire tuck and cleaned up engine bay? Not mine by the way but reminded me of an old thread. I believe most of the wiring was routed under the intake manifold and organized, then deleted cruise control, washer tank, coolant expansion and a few other things.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ked-wires.html
Old 09-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Colbyps
Intermediate

Yeah like that. I like that a lot. I was thinking of doing a polished coolant tank but I like that not having one. Did they just get rid of it or move it some how. I’m intrigued haha
Old 09-09-2019, 06:28 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

They just removed it all together. Personally I like both polished tank and none; I think both would look clean.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Colbyps
Intermediate

Yeah I think I’ll go with a polished one. The show I go to is a 3hr drive
Old 11-23-2019, 01:19 PM
sonnier
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on doing some cleanup in the engine bay, luckily no power steering or cruise already. I've been looking at the Radium coolant expansion tank but my car also came with a brand new plastic tank so will probably stay that way for a while. I'm interested to see what others do to clean things up as well. I feel that stand alone and a tucked harness can also certainly help but those plans are down the road for me.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Bigseatchris
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wish I took my time a bit more on mine. Didn’t turn out too bad, but I did rush it.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:30 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

You can relocate the battery to the trunk. With the battery out of the way you can mount washer and rad overflow tank there. Then make a cover to cover them up. Something I am planning for a future project.

Quick Reply: Shaving Engine Bay