944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What to look for when buying a 944 S2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a 944 S2?

Hi, I'm writing a 944 S2 buyers' guide and, as well as the usual stuff that goes wrong, I'd appreciate feedback from owners on what to look for when buying one of these cars.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated!

Many thanks
Old 02-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil:
The biggest Achilles heel of the 944S2 is the Cam chain guide and tensioner. This little unit has plastic guides on both the top and bottom of a hydrolic tensioner, and keeps the cam chain properly aligned and tensioned. Over time, the plastic gets brittle, and eventually the unit will fail, causing the cam chain to run off the cogs. Bent valves are typically the damage done when a cam chain tensioner fails, and there is also a chance that the head can crack as well!

The rubber-centered clutch hub deteriorates over time, and needs to be replaced. Instead of a direct replacement, most people recommend upgrading to the spring-centered unit found on the 944 Turbo models. The rubber 'hockey puck' clutch hub is found on all non-turbo 944 models, so this is not a 944S2 specific issue.

As will all 944's, if the timing belt goes on a 944S2, valves will bend, and possible damange to the head my result. Our engines are of the interference type, thus the potential for disaster!

Another issue with all later model 944's (1985.5 and up) are the aluminum control arms on the front suspension. Over time, these A-arms will develop stress cracks, and ultimately lead to ball-joint failure. (The ball-joint can pop out of the control arm). This is especially of concern on lowered 944's, and 944's that have larger diameter after-market wheels on them.

The best way to ensure the 944S2 will provide years of enjoyment to the driver, it is necessary to properly maintain the car, replacing all seals, gaskets, and belts at the recommended intervals.

So, when will be see this buyer's guide in 911 & Porsche world?

-Zoltan.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Given the location of the air filter (under the nose panel), one might want to ask if it has ever been changed. Unlike the other 944's, changing the air filter requires removing the panel and this process takes about an hour. The air filter is located where the intercooler for the turbos is located.

Also, plug wires for these puppies are very expensive due to the need to use the special beru connectors.

Leakage around the valve cover is pretty common for the S2's.

The moaning oil pressure relief valve seems to be an S2 issue as well. Maybe other 944's have this problem, but it seems to show up more on the S2's.

The exhaust system is specific to the S2 - a replacement system may cost a good bit more than its relatives.

The stock (no-sport) front struts and springs are specific to the S2 and are no longer available. Replacement typically requires upgrading to Turbo struts, or better yet the M030 struts, springs, torsion bars and sway bars.

The brakes are the same as was on the non-S Turbo's.

The gearing in the tranny is also S2 specific, but it is based on the turbo unit. However, some have opted to put the Turbo tranny in their cars. The S2 tranny is popular among those turbo owners who frequent the track.

LSD was a rare option, but one well worth having as these cars have enough power to be troublesome in the rain.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z-man
Phil:

The rubber-centered clutch hub deteriorates over time, and needs to be replaced. Instead of a direct replacement, most people recommend upgrading to the spring-centered unit found on the 944 Turbo models. The rubber 'hockey puck' clutch hub is found on all non-turbo 944 models, so this is not a 944S2 specific issue.
-Zoltan.
It is NOT the same clutch as used in the 944 turbo. There is a 944S2 "sport" clutch that uses springs instead of the rubber disk, and you have to be careful to get the correct version, but it is a lot nicer than the rubber centered unit. If I remember hearing correctly, Porsche (sachs) no longer even offers the rubber center version for the S2.

The rest of the information is right on though.

Dal.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Dal, you are correct. I should have stated: "upgrade to a spring centered unit that is similar to the spring centered units found on the 951.

-Z.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is all great info - thanks guys!

Cheers
Old 02-11-2004, 03:12 AM
1990_S2
Track Day

Originally posted by Michael Stephenson

SNIP
The moaning oil pressure relief valve seems to be an S2 issue as well. Maybe other 944's have this problem, but it seems to show up more on the S2's.
SNIP
Hey is that the moaning sound I hear at idle while the engine is still cool? Should I sell the car or is it "normal?"
Old 02-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 1990_S2
Hey is that the moaning sound I hear at idle while the engine is still cool? Should I sell the car or is it "normal?"
It's normal. You can upgrade to the new OPRV, it has the holes slightly offset to get rid of that annoying moan.

Dal.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:35 AM
1990_S2
Track Day

Thanks Dal!

Originally posted by Dal Heger
It's normal. You can upgrade to the new OPRV, it has the holes slightly offset to get rid of that annoying moan.

Dal.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:56 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

hey Phil,

yooo is de man !

why not get some first hand,

come down to the Thames Valley meet, and check out from the guys whom have s2's, I see your in oxfordshire, so Iver (m40 j1) should not be too bad,
I'll get the pints in and buy you lunch ?

laters

Adrian Jaye
TiPEC Thames Valley Region, Regional Officer
(07952) 775 890
Old 02-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wot? Turn up in a 964? You'd lynch me

Seriously, though, thanks for the invite. When's your next meet?

Cheers
Old 02-12-2004, 12:34 PM
uk944
5th Gear

Default S2 buying guide

Phil

I bought a 944 S2 threee months ago - and I would say this -

There are alot of red and white examples (it was the 80s) - these can be picked up for less.

Cars with blue interior are selling for less also - but the blue is not that bad - I kinda like it now.

Go for one with high oil pressure - 5 to start with then once walm 3 at idle back up to 5 when throttle open

Porsche Post had the best examples for sale - but they sell fast - I missed about 6 cars from Porsche Post.

I looked at about 15 examples in South East England before buying mine - and I would say for coupes (I did not look at cabs) you can get a good example for around £6000 and an average example with some work needed for around £4500. They are advertised at higher prices, but a lot of them have been on the market for a while - negotiation is the key. My S2 was first on the market for £7500 - I paid £5750 in the end and it is a good clean example.

The main thing I looked for was service history and old bills - If all the stamps are in the book - you can't go to far wrong

There is also a space for stamps to say that the belts have been checked - stamps here is a good sign

Do you need an example car for the article? You can use mine if you want
Check the car on my site - Here
Old 02-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heh, High oil pressure is good.

Just FYI. On my rebuilt engine, the oil pressure is about 4.5-4.75 off idle (factory specs for a new engine are 4 bar@5000 rpm) and between 2.25-2.5 bar at hot idle. This is also with a new oil pressure gauge.

Dal.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:27 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Also, I would absolutely get a leak-down test on any one I would consider buying.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:04 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally posted by Phil Raby
Wot? Turn up in a 964? You'd lynch me

Seriously, though, thanks for the invite. When's your next meet?

Cheers
Mate !

we dont not got nuffink as nice as a 64 (giggles)

mainly, 44's s2's 24, a few 11's, we even had 356 and a gt2 !

try this link http://www.playback.demon.co.uk/porsche/tipec.htm
the dates hav'nt been updated (naughty naughty)

but its the FIRST thursday of the month, next meet is Thursday 4th March, crooked Billet car park, from 8pm.

if you get lost, give us a ding, I know the guys would love to give your car the once over ! and I mean that in the most nicest way LOL

hope to see your there

Adrian Jaye
TiPEC Thames Valley Region, Regional Officer
(07952) 775 890

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a 944 S2?