944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Quick release hub/steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Angus Shaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick release hub/steering wheel

Son is going off to school with his first 944NA in a couple of weeks and am certain some idiot will try to jack his ride! Would like to install a street legal removable steering wheel he can carry with him in school and hopefully deter said idiots trying to jack it!

Plenty of old thread with outdated product, can anyone comment on their current set up for a quick release, street legal hub and steering wheel? Did read that quick release is legal if it has a locking hub on it?

Thanks!

teaser of our new scissor lift! Makes things really easy...
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 258 Posts

It might be easier and cheaper to install a hidden cutoff switch, or to remove the DME relay in a bad neighborhood.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 AM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sparco makes nice one but is more track oriented, no horn provision. I use one for street use and just re-purposed the cruse control switch for the horn. NRG makes a good one that will use the stock horn button.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a quick release steering wheel for a while on another car. would put the steering wheel in the trunk. after a while, I just stopped using it. adding a switch would be cool. like a dummy fog light switch that is an ignition disabler.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:31 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm not sure any quick release is technically legal? Because of the release part. Also most don't have a horn provision.

Also, the stock wheel (hub specifically) does have the ability to collapse slightly, FWIW.

Switch is okay, but pulling a fuse or relay is probably better. A switch they could probably find, unless it is really, really hidden.

And/or a dash cam.

Sadly if a thief really wants something, it is hard to stop. They can come in with a tow truck and lift it out in a few minutes.

Most secure thing is probably dash cam and parking in a somewhat secure lot/garage.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:37 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I have a MOMO Wheel with an NRG Quick release for the race car, It HAS a Horn provision in it..

There are other ways to deal with potential theft.. Install a kill switch In an Area only YOU know about it.. I had a camaro in high school and You had to hold the power seat switch in the UP position to start it..

Another way is Just to Insure the hell out of it and if it is as nice as it looks in your picture make sure you get "Agreed Value" Otherwise they you will not get out of it hat you have into it.

OR Install a Remote TASER in the SEAT With Sattlite tracking and Fry any criminal that steals instead of working hard for what they have like the rest of us.. LOL ...
Old 09-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Angus Shaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
I have a MOMO Wheel with an NRG Quick release for the race car, It HAS a Horn provision in it..

There are other ways to deal with potential theft.. Install a kill switch In an Area only YOU know about it.. I had a camaro in high school and You had to hold the power seat switch in the UP position to start it..

Another way is Just to Insure the hell out of it and if it is as nice as it looks in your picture make sure you get "Agreed Value" Otherwise they you will not get out of it hat you have into it.

OR Install a Remote TASER in the SEAT With Sattlite tracking and Fry any criminal that steals instead of working hard for what they have like the rest of us.. LOL ...
Man, the taser idea is the best one yet! Fry those idiots, ha. The town we live in is pretty nice so I guess I was only hoping to deter the idiot youngster that will try the coat hanger route and jack the seals up! Love the kill switch idea and have found some threads on the internet with getting a fake cigarette light/kill switch installed. For now I guess we will just go with a new wheel with a horn capacity rather than risk him getting a stupid citation for a fast "looking" car and an illegal steering wheel set up! (shout out to Footloose!")
Old 09-01-2017, 03:16 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

If anyone is going to get pulled over for illegal stuff it will be me, The "racecar" is technically on the road, Registered and Insured... Ill let you know how I make out in the months to come with my quick release, Lexan windscreen and Full Cage with no side windows..LOL Maybe I should put a Muffler on it? But the Numbers and stickers are a dead give away...And I know what your going to ask next...The answer is YES, I do know people who do the inspections..
Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! I drove my track car with full cage on the street daily for 3 months and never got hassled other than all the Honda boys wanting to race me!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:29 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

I was wondering about that.. I think when I have all my vinyl done Im going to have a sticker made that says "Think youre fast? Meet me at Watkins Glen"
-OR- "Racing on the Street proves two things, 1. your an idiot 2. your an idiot..

Quick Reply: Quick release hub/steering wheel