Your Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 05:09 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z-man
It is a documented fact that it takes a longer time and a greater distance to stop when going at a higher speed.

Here's an example:
At 65mph, it takes 345 ft to come to a complete stop.
At 90mph, it takes 584 ft to come ot a complete stop, a notable difference. (Source: http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistinfo.html).

This is not rocket science, it's simple algebra!

-Zoltan.
HAHAHAHAHA no ****??

Well, thanks for helping my prove my point... if that hypothetical toddler walks out in front of you and freezes, your headlights aren't going to spot him in time to stop. By the way, nice DMV-issued figure you have there. Take a look at the 944/951 specs, or any car's specs for that matter, and you can stop a LOT quicker than that! Try cutting that 65mph number in half and you could still beat that!

Furthermore, the stopping distance is not the only key issue here, it's reaction time... what's the average human reaction time? half a second? ...more? Travelling at any decent rate of speed, that half a second or more equates into a fairly large distance (50-100ft). Add that to the braking distance and plug that in to the sight of your headlights (given this is at night) see how fast that poor kid is going splat ... sorry to be graphic, but such an incredibly absurd situation deserves equally absurd remarks.

Speeding isn't "wreckless" when done properly and maturely. Speeding in a populated area is immature... everyone might do it as a teen along with other stunts, but it is stupid. Spirited driving in select areas can be done so that the risk is assumed only by the driver (and occupants, if any) and somewhat reasonable as well.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please note that I never mentioned anything about a baby crawling out onto the street when discussing stopping distances. (Remember those dead baby jokes from the 80's? How about: how many Porsche 944's going 130+ mph does it take to kill a baby crawling across a highway? Or, How did the baby cross the road? He was punted across by a high speed 944! Sorry for my morbid sense of humor... )

Regarding 944 stopping distances: sure, we have superior brakes compared to even most of the never cars today. (BTW: tires also have a lot to do with stopping distances) The 944 stopping distances may be shorter than the average, but that still doesn't change this fact:
The faster you go, the greater distance it will take to stop! The stopping distances do not increase linearly with speed: it's either a squared or an exponential increase.

A modest proposal: let's stop this bickering for now: we are getting nowhere. Let's wait until someone else decides to post their top speed run, and we'll all have another go around, ok?!?

PEACE,
-Z.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:25 PM
ttwirz
Racer

130, ha just kidding
Old 12-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by ttwirz
130, ha just kidding
I got to somewhere between 130 and 140, but that was on a track (Pocono Raceway), so I guess that doesn't count!

-Z.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:32 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Now why would that not count? I've been to Nascar at Pocano, it's a good time. I grew up in NY and my parents have a house in the Pocanos.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Now why would that not count?
'Cause it wasn't on a public road!

D'oh!
-Z.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:06 PM
ttwirz
Racer

When did that rule take affect?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Z-man
Race Director

ttwirz: I'm just messin' around, that's all.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:05 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Z: Are there speed limits in Jerrsey?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Well just back on topic, fastest I have ever gone was in a buddy's 1998 Dinanized BMW M3 goin 155 (electronically limited, it would have kept goin).... Fastest i have gonna in the 944S would have to be about 125-130... somewhere in there....

Cheers,
Jonas
Old 12-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Z: Are there speed limits in Jerrsey?
55 in most places. On some short stretches of highway, they finally raised the limit to 65. Fortunately, part of my daily commute takes place on such a stretch.

-Z.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:29 PM
peter_euro
Instructor

Good post but some of the replies have to be the dumbest ones I have seen on this board yet (some of you really have to be mentally incapacitated not to see what the original post was about and dumb again for trying to preach slow driving on Porsche board).

Are you guys sure you are not mistaking your Buick stationwagon hood badge for Porsche crest? How about going to another board instead of whining here? Sunday school or station wagon owners forums seem applicable...

You whiners must assume that others on this board must be completely stupid and inconsiderate of others to pass judgements about how dangerous speeding is... LMAO, mercy... there is time and place for everything... if I buy a car that can go fast and USING MY JUDGEMENT see it fit to drive over the speed limit, then shut up and let me do it... Somehow I do not see how driving at 150 on an empty road would cause nearly as much harm to anyone (besides myself) than some jerk or a grandma whipping in and out of the traffic or cutting me off even at 40 mph on a city street Perhaps you should donate your cars and get some snappy electric ones instead?

Now, back to the subject:

145 in my S2
150 a few years ago in my past 86 951
160 in VR4
110 in Pathfinder (LOL)

Values from the speedo readings so not sure how accurate...
Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Peter,

Just curious. How is that 3000GT. It seems to be one of those cars you see around but don't hear much about. Based on your top speed it looks to have some grunt. I got my Toyota truck up to 110. Not sure what the actual would be since my speedo is off because of the bigger wheels.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:46 PM
peter_euro
Instructor

Peter,

Just curious. How is that 3000GT. It seems to be one of those cars you see around but don't hear much about. Based on your top speed it looks to have some grunt. I got my Toyota truck up to 110. Not sure what the actual would be since my speedo is off because of the bigger wheels.
well, that is very true... not very known, liked or appreciated cars (kinda like 944 LOL)...

Actually, this car is a rush... the feel of those turbos and sound of the blow off valves can be very addictive, LOL... and the tires never ever squeel when you take off... I have not done much to the engine besides Borla exhaust and K&N filter but this thing really goes... very very easy to hit 100 without even knowing it it is actually a bit scary (the only one that scared me more was a 91 911 Turbo ) BTW, I have very good upgraded brakes and pads on this thing, just in case

My Pathfinder is no slouch either with Doug Thorley headers custom exhaust and 17in rims
Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

LoL thanks for some answers guys...wut color is your 3000gt? i really like those cars...they actually look like a sport car unlike the stealth...lol just sick of people who know nothing about cars say there is no difference

Quick Reply: Your Top Speed?