Your Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 08:46 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Your Top Speed?

Originally posted by Pearceman3
I just thought that the 944 forum was gettin a little boring and i think this is a interesting subject. What is the top speed you have reached in your car???? I was only able to drive mine a month since i just got it and now its winter but i did hit 100+ a few times, crazy when ur that low to the ground.

If you think its boring here take a hike fool.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Wagz
Racer

NUT- I'm with you, if your bored with these u can always sport the mullet and head over to the Z-28 board. Im sure they have plenty of posts of them doing nearly 150 on public roads.

-not that there's anything wrong with maro's, it's just those shifty mullets that i don't trust.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:19 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

watch it wags. thems is fightin words. true about the mullet board, but fighting nonetheless.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Wahoogie
Racer

Wagz - You can trust the frunt of a mullet, just not the back...

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound as immature as I did. What I meant to get across was that, if someone feels the need to speed excessively I know that the best place to do it is on the track. We all know that. Some people don't go to tracks however, and as long as they understand what they could potentially be getting themselves into, I don't think anyone is going to stop them, especially when there is 2 miles of open road ahead of them... However! once another person enters this equation, I believe that it would be just plain selfish to continue such an act.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of crappy if you ask me. We all act like we have never done it. I dont buy that for even one second. When I was young and stupid I was pulled over for 142 in a 70. Yep, it was 3:30 AM on a Tuesday in the middle of nowhere. I haven't hit 90 but about 3 times in recent memory and all but one was during a passing manuever (thanks for the drive in the Miata for the other one). Nit picking over the degree to which you break the law is as ignorant as anything you will ever see here. It like being a little pregant or kind of dead. Speed limits are arbitrary based on population and how much government funding is available. It has nothing to do with what is reasonable.

It is amazing how this group can be this "holier than thou" sometimes. Ever make an illegal lane change? Ever tailgate? Ever drive on bad tires? All are just as dangerous, if not more so, than speeding. I would much rather someone pass me like I am standing still than change lanes without letting me know they are coming. As far as reckless, ever drive your car without a seatbelt? I bet some of you do. Even riding in a car without one is more reckelss than speeding. Ever have a drink at dinner (maybe two or three or more) and then drive home? Ever drive a long trip with little to no rest and find yourself falling asleep?

I cant believe how pissed I am that some of you can sit in the tower and judge others for something like speeding. Is it reckless to go 130 on a public road? Yep, probably. It is just as illegal to go 80 in a 70? Yep, sure is. One might net you jail time while the other will not, either way you are just as guilty. I condone neither, but I am also not going to lie and say I have never done it or "YOU ARE A CHILDISH PERSON, WITH LAW BREAKING TENDENCIES, WHO IS GROSSLY NEGLIGENT AND PUTTING THE REST OF THE WORLD AT DANGER" Just shows how two-faced some people can be sometimes. For those of you who have never broken ANY law, give me your name, I will send your sainthood plaque to you. For the rest of us (that would be all) EDIT: not constructive (even I know when to edit myself :>). Why own a sports car if you are not going to enjoy it? A yugo would get you from place to place just the same (especially as often as our cars are broken).

Last edited by Matt H; 11-29-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Christian and Tifo - you guys spouting anti-speeding testaments are being WAY TO GENERALISTIC.

It's not "unsafe, period"

Safe is not a black and white term. There is always a "Degree of Safety"

Flying is inherrently unsafe yet I do it all the time. With the proper training and circumstances, it is safer than driving to work.

160mph at night in the rain with traffic is FAR less safe than 160mph in the evening, summer, with no traffic on a multi-lane highway. In fact, if the driver in the second scenario, has extensive experience driving at speed and has excellent vehicle control, a well maintained car, and knows when to slow down, then I would argue it's hardly unsafe at all.

You guys have obviously never driven through germany.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:05 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

1. This bozo is not driving in Germany. He is driving somewhere where there are other people with questionable driving skillsets around. He did not specify open road, so we retorted in kind, all-be-it a bit strongly.

2. You don't know a thing about my driving past or skills.

3. Screw it, that's all I have to say about this. I really don't care if he becomes a statistic, as long as he doesn't take anyone else out.

Ha!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:37 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I just thought that the 944 forum was gettin a little boring and i think this is a interesting subject. What is the top speed you have reached in your car???? I was only able to drive mine a month since i just got it and now its winter but i did hit 100+ a few times, crazy when ur that low to the ground.
Then,
If you did that on a public road and not a closed course or track, shame on you.

Tifo
Hmm, so basically we have no idea when and where he was driving with how much traffic, and suddenly we are all allowed to pass judgement on him! Well how self-righteous of us! Hey Tifo if you can pass judgement on him, I'll pass judgement on you!

no hard feelings - lets just stop jumping to conclusions about each other!

besides 100mph is peanuts, my cavalier has done 100mph.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:39 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I can still recall old Mister Barnslow getting out every morning and nailing a fresh load of tadpoles to the old board of his. Then he'd spin it round and round, like a wheel of fortune, and no matter where it stopped he'd yell out, "Tadpoles! Tadpoles is a winner!" We all thought he was crazy. But then we had some growing up to do.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:26 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Hmmmm... I definitely take the 5th on this one.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:02 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Deleted!

Last edited by Fishey; 12-12-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:04 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Deleted!

Last edited by Fishey; 12-12-2003 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:14 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll go 90 or 95 on a 70 or 75 mph road any day if it means passing/getting in front of idiots who can't drive, signal to change lanes, are drunk, or are your average American inconsiderate, distracted driver. There is nothing magical about 100 mph -- what makes 100 mph any less safe then 70 or 80 mph? Either way you're going to be toast if you wreck. And who is the government (besides the governing body) to determine what is safe? Me at 90 passing idiots at 75 on their cell phones is much more safe for me then driving near those same idiots.

Speed limits are stupid -- they server one major purpose -- generate income for the governing body of that particular area.

What makes going 70 during the time when the national speed limit was 55 any less safe then going 70 when that same road is now 70?

I adhere to the speed limit for one reason and ONE reason only -- to keep my record clean of speeding tickets. If there were no limits, I would go the speed that was prudent for me, the car, the weather, traffic, and time of day. I don't need anyone else telling me what is and what is not safe.

With that said, if this guy wants to go 100+ on some highway somewhere, and understands the risks associated with that, have at it. Now, if you do it in conditions not suited to that sort of driving, you're an idiot and shouldn't have a license, and I'd be glad to take it from you. If you do it racing some buddy down a major strip in rush hour, I hope you wreck your car into a pole and kill yourself before you kill someone else.

Maybe it's from living in Germany for 8 years, but speed isn't a big deal to me. I don't speed any more then 10 over at the max, but I only do that for the reason listed above. Other then that, there is nothing magical about 100 mph, seeing how you better be in the far right lane if you'll be cruising at that speed on the Autobahn.

Drive safe,
Matt
Old 11-30-2003, 03:43 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess going 70 on a motorcycle is every bit more dangerous than 130 in a car. I can hit a pothole or any road obstacle like oil or dirt along with anything else like a deer and die. Does that make me reckless? I have gone 150 on a motorcycle and a car on public highways where I can see at least 5 miles in front of me with no cars in the middle of the day where visibility is great and the road is straight. If you think the roads are not built for speed in the U. S., have you heard of the silver state classic race where the average speed for some cars for a 90 mile race is over 130? All this is done on a public highway. I don't believe there are going to be any pedestrians or deers I am going to miss when I can see miles ahead of me in the middle of the desert going to Vegas where we averaged 100 miles per hour for 3 hours it took us to go from L. A. to L. V. (315 miles total). I completely agree that there are too many idiotic drivers out there and in most cases, one would never want to go even 70 mph because there are too many cars. Most of the time, I ride my 125hp GSXR 750 in the 2nd lane going 65 following behind another car even though I can do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and hit 150+ with a twist of a throttle that will dust a highly modified 951 like if its standing still. If I am going to worry about every pothole that I may hit that may kill me, I would never have gotten on a bike because anything over 45 mph is most likely lethal if you hit something. What should the speed limit be then? 70? I believe the solution should be to make a driver's license as hard to get as a racing license instead of these 55 or even 70 mph speed limits. Matt, I agree with you that speed limits are for the government to generate revenue and I drive at the speed where I feel safe. If the speed of traffic going to vegas is 100 mph, I would speed up to the flow of traffic and if I don't feel comfortable, move over to the right and let them pass. I am sure you are familiar with the studies that show speed differential between different vehicles is what contributes to many of the accidents and not the overall speed. Open straight road, good visibility, no traffic, good vehicle, competent driver, and common sense is good enough in my book for someone going 130 because you are going to be just as dead if you have a blow out at 70 or 130 when you flip off the road as most cars will only save you when the accident is less than 40 mph. Lets get off high horses and not pretend that we never have sped at dangerous speeds (any speed greater than 40 mph is dangerous).
Old 11-30-2003, 08:08 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Somehow I knew you would have to get into a discussion about driving techniques, Fishey..........................

"I wait for car to come to full operational temp.Then I Run to redline every gear. Then when I am at a stopsign and making a turn, I will just roll off line give some gas and throw the back end out just for fun. When I am on roads with yellow signs that say 20mph turn 60mph is the goal. I see every empty parking lots as a skidpad meter. I Frequently take full power stops and overheat the brakes to the point were they almost don't work. Not to mention I do this for hours at a time.. Not just one or two hours. we are talking 5-6 hours a day (20,000 miles in 4 months

Sorry I jumped on this guy at the start.

Quick Reply: Your Top Speed?